John Abbey

Guest Spain pete

When l was a wee sprig of a lad l use to go to contempo records that was upstairs of a building at hanway street , on the junction of oxford st and Tottenham court road , every Saturday lunchtime john would be there taking in the delivery's of the latest imported records ,  kool and the gang , Tyrone Davis , o'jays , Issac Hayes , sir Joe quarterman, temptations ,mandrill cymande      ,  always sold me something , so it's him l blame for my addiction , god bless him 👏🎶🎶

Social source share

Like many on this site Blues & Soul was a must read, for the majority of the 70's.  Although Dave Godin wrote more thought provoking articles, John's reviews of new releases convinced me to buy a number of prized LP's and singles blind.

A walk up the steps at 23 (if I remember correctly) Hanway St, always resulted in walking away with less cash than intended.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Remember going to see al green at the rainbow , Margie Joseph was supposed to be on the same bill , but she cancelled at the last moment , think she was replaced by a band called kokomo , john sat with Dave godin, don't think they were to pleased ,think it might of got a mention in the next blues and soul edition 🎶🎶

Social source share

1 hour ago, Spain pete said:

Remember going to see al green at the rainbow , Margie Joseph was supposed to be on the same bill , but she cancelled at the last moment , think she was replaced by a band called kokomo , john sat with Dave godin, don't think they were to pleased ,think it might of got a mention in the next blues and soul edition 🎶🎶

You might be mistaken about Kokomo. That was Jimmy "Wiz" Wisner's assumed name as an artist. We all know he was a great arranger/producer, but he released some material as a vocalist 'Asia Minor', etc.

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Kenb said:

You might be mistaken about Kokomo. That was Jimmy "Wiz" Wisner's assumed name as an artist. We all know he was a great arranger/producer, but he released some material as a vocalist 'Asia Minor', etc.

Kokomo were also a funk/soul band formed in the seventies and supported many soul acts in that period.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Think they also supported war when they appeared at the Hammersmith odeon around that time, quite a funky little band , if l remember right . 🎶

Social source share

A2B31248-60FD-4930-8894-D19AB2714AA2.thumb.png.2b10018bf6c7319a8a96e1fb9a1482a5.pngB&S was based at 42 Hanway Street. The closed red door in the image.

The open red door was a pub back then too.

Last time I was there was in 1983, and when I spoke to the bar owner, a Spanish lady, she spoke fondly of John. She said she knew him well and that he was a gentleman.

B&S/Contempo was directly above the pub on the first floor.

Edited by David Meikle
Added a photo
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Took a look on you tube, played the Albert hall and the half moon at Putney, so l take it they were London based ,   would rather have seen Margie Joseph though , no disrespect to them 🎶👅

12 minutes ago, shinehead said:

Still going Pete ,  not all the original band obviously !

https://www.kokomo.band/

Social source share

So no-one knows what happened to John E. Abbey?  Surely one of the most influential figures in all of the UK soul scene?  If it were not for Blues & Soul my teenage life would have been so very different....

He deserves a huge amount of respect.  What happened to him?

Anyone else get their soul packs from Contempo?  Such excitement!

Pretty sure that I saw Kokomo on that Al Green tour too (B'ham Odeon).  Yes, they are still going.

Edited by Dayo
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

20 hours ago, David Meikle said:

A2B31248-60FD-4930-8894-D19AB2714AA2.thumb.png.2b10018bf6c7319a8a96e1fb9a1482a5.pngB&S was based at 42 Hanway Street. The closed red door in the image.

The open red door was a pub back then too.

Last time I was there was in 1983, and when I spoke to the bar owner, a Spanish lady, she spoke fondly of John. She said she knew him well and that he was a gentleman.

B&S/Contempo was directly above the pub on the first floor.

Hanway Street today is a sorry sight. Until relatively recently there were a couple of record shops but  no longer. I often use it as a short cut if I'm walking  back to St Pancras (avoiding the junction) to go through Bloomsbury. It's decline is very sad.

Edited by maslar
Social source share

23 hours ago, Soulman58 said:

No he could be correct Kokomo were a British soul band in the 70's

Yes they were a very good band for what they were doing at the time, I featured 2 or three tracks by them in my sets back in '75 as New Releases, ones that spring to mind are,

"I can understand it" (Womack Cover) and "Use your imagination" both had U.S. Columbia releases as well as their U. K. C.B.S. Release.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Use to get the occasional soul pack when l was up the hallowed stairs buying the latest soul ,disco, funk releases, FCK knows what l had or what happened to most of them , seems l was stuck in the mainstream back then, still l will always treasure my albums  , how much does the shaft soundtrack go for nowadays .?                                    FORESIGHT IS A WONDERFUL THING .🎭😂🎶🎶😢

3 hours ago, Dayo said:

So no-one knows what happened to John E. Abbey?  Surely one of the most influential figures in all of the UK soul scene?  If it were not for Blues & Soul my teenage life would have been so very different....

He deserves a huge amount of respect.  What happened to him?

Anyone else get their soul packs from Contempo?  Such excitement!

Pretty sure that I saw Kokomo on that Al Green tour too (B'ham Odeon).  Yes, they are still going.

Social source share

On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 12:14, shinehead said:

Kokomo were also a funk/soul band formed in the seventies and supported many soul acts in that period.

Kokomo did a passable cover of Womack's I Can Understand It, not a patch on the man's obviously but ok

oops!! just scrolled down thread and seen Rick already mentioned that,sorry

Edited by Twoshoes
Saw Rick's post
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Talking about john abbey , blues and soul ,hanway st, and reminiscing about my youth , does any one remember the Dave Simmonds soul show on radio one, think it took over mike Raven's blues show , Saturday tea time ,  anyone got any shows they could post up ?, always remember the link up with american radio stations pointing me in the direction of the latest movers and groovers , happy days ! 🎶🎶

Social source share

24 minutes ago, Spain pete said:

does any one remember the Dave Simmonds soul show on radio one

Mike Raven along with older mates who were into Black Music at that time were my introduction into Soul in general not just Northern, I'd forgotten all about Dave Simmonds but yes I remember his shows now you mention it.

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Sure was , cut some stuff for the contempo label , as well as some others If l remember right. 🎶🎶

7 minutes ago, JulianB said:

Was John instrumental in bringing over Major Lance for his tour when he recorded the live LP at the Torch?  I think he did but my memory is not what it once was!

Social source share

15 hours ago, Spain pete said:

Talking about john abbey , blues and soul ,hanway st, and reminiscing about my youth , does any one remember the Dave Simmonds soul show on radio one, think it took over mike Raven's blues show , Saturday tea time ,  anyone got any shows they could post up ?, always remember the link up with american radio stations pointing me in the direction of the latest movers and groovers , happy days ! 🎶🎶

Alexis Korner had an early Saturday evening blues and soul show on Radio 1 for a while during the late 70s. Used to open with a sax-led instrumental of Rufus & Chaka's "Tell me something good". Somebody's put up a recording of one of these - eclectic sounds:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 07:44, Mickey Finn said:

Alexis Korner

We've deviated a bit from the original question but in an interesting way at least for me, it's often asked on here who influenced you and how did you get into Black Music ,never thought about it before but you mentioning Alexis Corner when I was a lad and a young one at that Alexis used to be on TV  all the time and one particular programme I can't remember the name of ,I remember Tommy Bruce he of the voice of gravel being on there too singing from a phone box I'm on Fire, you got me wondering now was Alexis an early influence for me.

Back to the original question I looked but couldn't find anything about John Abbey ,got to admit I didn't search for long, it did throw up two old threads on here about him one which had potential to be interesting but the link to an interview with him wouldn't work, might work for others though, type in Rare Interview with John Abbey on the search ,hope the link works for you, it came up on mine as you do not have permission to access this server.

So does anyone know have an answer to is he still around?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Ok, back on track:

5 years ago on this forum links to an interview with David Nathan were posted:

Might be worth contacting David Nathan for more info on these - maybe get them posted back up. 

Meanwhile, the most recent thing I've been able to dig up after a not very exhaustive search is the news that in 2015 John Abbey was appointed CEO of Connor Ray Music, based in Houston, Texas:

https://www.bmansbluesreport.com/2015/01/connor-ray-music-label-announces-ceo.html

https://www.connorraymusic.com

The article even provides an email address for John. Perhaps an exclusive Soul Source interview could be arranged...

Nice to see he's still working with Trudy Lynn.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 05/03/2018 at 15:49, Spain pete said:

Yes, i think Dave Simmonds was on 5 until 6 pm but was fairly short lived round about 1972/73. Eddie Kendricks Keep on Truckin and Intruders I Wanna Know Your Name were a couple of tunes i remember being played as new releases tipped by the USA station to be big sellers. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Spain pete
1 hour ago, soulatthedale said:

Yes, i think Dave Simmonds was on 5 until 6 pm but was fairly short lived round about 1972/73. Eddie Kendricks Keep on Truckin and Intruders I Wanna Know Your Name were a couple of tunes i remember being played as new releases tipped by the USA station to be big sellers. 

Seem to remember Eddie Kendricks , and what has always stuck in my head was harry hippie /l can understand it   bobby womack , blew me away then and still does . 👍🎶🎶

Social source share

Have fond memories of Major Lance at the Penultimate All - Nite at the Cleethorpes Pier March 8th 1976, He had his Wife with him, beautiful lady, have a few photographs of them on the stage , along with a few of the Tramps Live at the First Pier Anniversary February 21st 1976, and a signed photograph  and single of Tomiko Jones "Spellbound" Aughtographed at the *** 1975 All Dayer at the Winter Gardens***, Violla Wills and Gonzales were there too but for some reason didn't manage to get an Autograph.

*** I have a  Photo copy from an advert in  Blues and Soul Magazine showing 1st anniversary (All-Dayer) At the Winter Gardens as Sunday 26th October (Lincolnshire Soul Club)***?

Was Major Lance on at a Big Leeds Soul Doo along with JJ Barnes, Exciters Etc. ? i went to it but for the love of me can't remember if it was a Dayer or All Niter but was early to mid 70's.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

18 minutes ago, RICK SCOTT said:

Was Major Lance on at a Big Leeds Soul Doo along with JJ Barnes, Exciters Etc. ? i went to it but for the love of me can't remember if it was a Dayer or All Niter but was early to mid 70's.

Was that the one on the old train station? I went to that one , if it is it was an All Niter, I think Major Lance was on there but my memory is like yours, I do remember though my mates Scooter breaking down just outside Bradford on the way home.....that was one memory I wish I could forget.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

44 minutes ago, RICK SCOTT said:

Yea, that's the one, had a wooden dance floor laid on concrete which was crap to dance on, this was around the time when the country was flooded with the Mirwood label Instrumental backing tracks of well known vocal tracks for the first time.

Well, Mr Soussan originated from Leeds (from Morocco originally) so you would expect them to hit our shores in Leeds:(

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, RICK SCOTT said:

Have fond memories of Major Lance at the Penultimate All - Nite at the Cleethorpes Pier March 8th 1976, He had his Wife with him, beautiful lady, have a few photographs of them on the stage , along with a few of the Tramps Live at the First Pier Anniversary February 21st 1976, and a signed photograph  and single of Tomiko Jones "Spellbound" Aughtographed at the *** 1975 All Dayer at the Winter Gardens***, Violla Wills and Gonzales were there too but for some reason didn't manage to get an Autograph.

*** I have a  Photo copy from an advert in  Blues and Soul Magazine showing 1st anniversary (All-Dayer) At the Winter Gardens as Sunday 26th October (Lincolnshire Soul Club)***?

Queens Hall bus station All Niter Rick with 7000 there, Major Lance, JJ Barnes, Exciters, Mel & Tim etc. Seem to think we went to a second one with the Detroit Emeralds. I can remember some us going to watch Leeds in the afternoon then meeting up at the Scarborough pub before  the niter.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

16 hours ago, Steve Thompson said:

Queens Hall bus station All Niter Rick with 7000 there, Major Lance, JJ Barnes, Exciters, Mel & Tim etc. Seem to think we went to a second one with the Detroit Emeralds. I can remember some us going to watch Leeds in the afternoon then meeting up at the Scarborough pub before  the niter.

Yea, That's correct Jack, was great to see the acts live but the place was bloody awful, Seem to remember Tom (JC) and Leroy and the usual Gang were there too.

Social source share

Apparently he is managing the Three Degrees.  Contact details from their website pasted below:

Contact Us

If you want to get in touch please call using the number below or send us a message using the contact form on this page

Management: John Abbey Representation

Tel: +1 770 928 1864
Fax: +1 770 928 1926
e-mail: jarinc45@aol.com

Edited by Dayo
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Well done sherlock  👍👏🎶🎶

18 minutes ago, Dayo said:

Apparently he is managing the Three Degrees.  Contact details from their website pasted below:

Contact Us

If you want to get in touch please call using the number below or send us a message using the contact form on this page

Management: John Abbey Representation

Tel: +1 770 928 1864
Fax: +1 770 928 1926
e-mail: jarinc45@aol.com

Social source share

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 21:22, Eddie Hubbard said:

Yes John is still around ,am friends with him on FB 

Hi Eddie

John Manship is currently auctioning a poster which he says was Major Lance's first 'gig' when he arrived in the UK before the Torch recording.

I posted earlier in this thread regarding the gig in Halifax and the backing group not knowing the tunes he was trying to sing. It seems strange that the backing group did not know his music at Halifax if they had already played with him!

Perhaps you could ask John Abbey to clarify ? ( if he can remember).

Hope you're well.

Cheers

Julian

Social source share

I was at the Halifax gig, hell, I must have been 14! Regarding what may, or not have been the Major's first UK gig, I recall he was due at The Wheel, but it never happened, I believe there are some posters advertising it. Could this have been  on his first UK tour? Did he play elsewhere? Just a thought.

Tim.

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Do us a favour Eddie and ask him if he's gonna write a book for us anoraks, sure his got a few tales to tell , all the best Pete . 🎶🎶🎶🍻

On 20/03/2018 at 22:22, Eddie Hubbard said:

Yes John is still around ,am friends with him on FB 

Social source share

On 26/03/2018 at 13:16, JulianB said:

Hi Eddie

John Manship is currently auctioning a poster which he says was Major Lance's first 'gig' when he arrived in the UK before the Torch recording.

I posted earlier in this thread regarding the gig in Halifax and the backing group not knowing the tunes he was trying to sing. It seems strange that the backing group did not know his music at Halifax if they had already played with him!

Perhaps you could ask John Abbey to clarify ? ( if he can remember).

Hope you're well.

Cheers

Julian

Ok I’ll ask him Julian , there is hardly anything about Soul Music on his page , which is criminal and a shame I think .He must have so many stories to tell .Heard a great radio show a while back ,where he explained how he used to call up artists like Tyrone Davis for interviews , from a pay phone ,frantically putting in money ,and trying to make notes in the cold .

Social source share

52 minutes ago, Eddie Hubbard said:

Ok I’ll ask him Julian , there is hardly anything about Soul Music on his page , which is criminal and a shame I think .He must have so many stories to tell .Heard a great radio show a while back ,where he explained how he used to call up artists like Tyrone Davis for interviews , from a pay phone ,frantically putting in money ,and trying to make notes in the cold .

Cheers Eddie, looking forward to his reply

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!