Desert Island Stevie Wonder Song

If you had to listen to only one Stevie Wonder song for the rest of your life, what would it be? This is the premise of my music blog, Desert Island Mixtape. Each month we choose a new artist and pose the same question. I then share the results with high school students in hopes that they are inspired to learn more about older musicians. Thanks.

Edited by Guest
spam ringtones link removed
Social source share

• Replies 73
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I wholeheartedly approve of this thread !

Coincidentally, I've just spent the last week or so listening to a different Stevie Wonder album everyday ..:)

lotuts4.jpg

I nominate 'For Once In My Life' which is my all time favourite SW track.

Good luck with the project, @HarryJS 

Edited by Soulsides
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

I might have chosen For Once in my Life too. A song of great optimism.

Instead I’ll go for Mon Cherie Armour which I still think of as a really happy love song.

In terms of sad songs, they don’t get much sadder than Lately.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

A bit ironic choosing a song called "For once in my life" to play every day :D

I would hope there would be some driftwood on the island so that I could fashion a dance floor,in which case my choice would be "Uptight (Everything is alright)"

Edited by martyn pitt
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

7 minutes ago, SWIFTY said:

'All I do' would be my choice :thumbsup:

Which is why I asked the questions above - Stevie's own version on the "Hotter than July" album is strong, but hearing Tammi Terrell's version just blew me away, and to think it had been stuck in a vault for all those years ... but I haven't made up my mind on a nomination just yet :g:

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

If you really love me , remember it on   the  juke  box in my local pub ( those were the days ) 👍🎶🎶🎶

Edited by Spain pete
athe
Social source share

Remember Colin Curtis doing a mix of this little ditty a few years back at modern soul night in Leyland , completely blew my head of, think it went on for about 12 minutes, anyways this gets my vote, interesting thread btw, neither really delved into stevie wonder catalogue so will be interesting to see what comes up...phil

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Bought for my first girlfriend's 15th birthday in October 1967.

Sweet and innocent times. lol!

So for me it can only be this one.

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Social source share

1 hour ago, garswood said:

Remember Colin Curtis doing a mix of this little ditty a few years back at modern soul night in Leyland , completely blew my head of, think it went on for about 12 minutes, anyways this gets my vote, interesting thread btw, neither really delved into stevie wonder catalogue so will be interesting to see what comes up...phil

ron hardy used to play it at the power plant, at +8 apparantly

Social source share

Guest Shufflin

got a DJ copy of this one, sounds better and better with time, written & produced by S.Wonder

check out the back up singers & drummer

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
6 minutes ago, MsSoulie said:

Got to be Nothing's to good for my baby.

Hugh

one of the records that really got me into soul music, although he didn't write or produce it? regardless top tune

Edited by Shufflin
Social source share

6 hours ago, algsoul said:

cracker of a tune

Totally agree - the sound of summer. It was one of the few new tracks that appeared on his "Original Musiquarium" double LP in 1982, alongside this, which I think deserves better recognition:

So much good stuff in this thread. The "Down to Earth" album right up to "Songs in the Key of Life" is pretty much drop the needle wherever quality. Afterwards the greatness was more sporadic but with catalogue like this, he'd already claimed his place.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

PS Love A Go Go always puts a smile on my face too (in fact with Contract On Love, Ain't That Asking For Trouble, I Want My Baby Back and of course Nothing's Too Good For My Baby you can't really go wrong with the whole album)

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

4 hours ago, back street blue said:

.......my pick from "Up-tight"........("ain't that asking for trouble")......flip of "Blowin in the wind"......

Knowing me as you, and so many others do, plus my well documented intense distaste for absolutely anything "70's", you'd think that my choice would be either this, Uptight, Angel Baby, or  Nothin's too good....Not so. Surprisingly my choice would be "There's a place in the sun". Dunno why, just loved it since the first time I ever heard it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!