Desert Island Stevie Wonder Song

Can't think of many other artists whose output I either absolutely love or totally dislike, but I'm never far from a SW tune

Shortlist would be For once in my life, Sir Duke, his version of Light my Fire, Fingertips (which I'm surprised no one has mentioned?), but number one definitely 'If you really love me'  

• Up vote 3
Social source share

• Replies 73
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Not Stevie's biggest fan but I love Contract On Love from 63'-a wonderful,joyous fusion of Doo-Wop and the Four Seasons sound. Also like his version of Ray Charles' May Ann from 62's Tribute To Uncle Ray LP. Nothings Too Good For My Baby is a fine,classic dancer and  With A Child's Heart from the Uptight LP is a nice ballad .

If I had to pick one though,it would be Contract On Love.

Social source share

23 hours ago, 25miles said:

love stevie.......who doesn't..............but that Cordan...........don't get me started........what-a-w'ker !!

Hehe.

The only reason why anyone should allow themselves get in a car with that idiot would be if he was tied up and gagged in the boot... 

Edited by Soulsides
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Are we allowed cover versions?

Wow - don't you love talented youngsters!

If Harry (thread starter) is working with High School students it might be interesting to throw this into the mix. :)

Social source share

Love Stevie ... but have to say his early stuff for me was his outstanding work . Anything after “ Songs on the Key “ hasn’t really hit the high benchmark he set himself . 

My fav , well apart from the like of “ Nothin’ to good for my baby “ - “Angle Baby “ .. it has to be 

Great album 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

35 minutes ago, stevesilktulip said:

I'm not sure there's any such thing as virtuoso harmonica

In addition to Stevie Wonder, try listening to some Quincy Jones tunes featuring Toots Thielemans (such as the theme from the 1972 Getaway film), or even just Toots Thielemans himself:

Social source share

People always go on about Toots. Saw Adam Glasser do a tribute set at Scarborough Jazz Festival shortly after he died. In my review for Bebop Spoken Here I observed it wasn't a good time to admit you can't get exited by a harmonica in Jazz but, if I had to, it would be Glasser. The blues now, but they're ranked, not by how good they were on the harmonica, but how great the music they made is. Muddy is the obvious example with Wolf, Little and Big Walters, James Cotton and Charlie (work til your) Musselthwaite.  

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!