FRANKIE CROCKER

Driverless cars

59 minutes ago, shufflin said:

saw the news, not surprised, can't imagine feeling safe in a driver less car, so many avoidable risks when you think about it

It was the bad news in Tempe, Arizona that prompted my post. A driverless car seems like an unguided missile - surely it makes sense to make the passenger pilot the vehicle dohhh. Then the driverless car will actually have a driver!!!

It's going to happen.  I don't know the numbers of driver less cars on the road, but I've only heard of two fatal incidents involving them to date.  Statistically they are probably safer than normal cars, and the technology will only improve.

I smell a rat... When oil runs out and all cars are electric, I can see the logic in running car-sharing schemes of one sort or another. Jump ahead a couple of decades to whem Amazon own all the cars and Uber run a passenger service of sorts, how much will we be paying to be taken for a ride?

It strikes me that driverless cars are an accident waiting to happen. How many mothers with prams will be run over before someone says this needs a re-think?

9 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

It's going to happen.  I don't know the numbers of driver less cars on the road, but I've only heard of two fatal incidents involving them to date.  Statistically they are probably safer than normal cars, and the technology will only improve.

Unfortunately not so. Statistics say that in the US there are 1.18 fatalities per 100 Million miles driven. As they drive 3.2 Trillion miles each year that's quite a lot of fatalities. However the main driverless proponents including Uber racked up about 6 Million miles and their first fatality, so statistically more dangerous when extrapolated.

13 minutes ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Jump ahead a couple of decades to whem Amazon own all the cars and Uber run a passenger service of sorts, how much will we be paying to be taken for a ride?

Dunno mate, but this guy will definitely be the driver !..:D

GHDI6LV.jpg

25 minutes ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

I smell a rat... When oil runs out and all cars are electric, I can see the logic in running car-sharing schemes of one sort or another. Jump ahead a couple of decades to whem Amazon own all the cars and Uber run a passenger service of sorts, how much will we be paying to be taken for a ride?

It strikes me that driverless cars are an accident waiting to happen. How many mothers with prams will be run over before someone says this needs a re-think?

A bit off topic but as you mentioned amazon have you seen YouTube or any other footage of the little wheeled robots that move the cages around in the warehouses.  They are quite amazing.

back on topic did the person try to intervene or did he / she not get a chance to ?

i don’t like the idea of driverless cars it just doesn’t feel right.

14 minutes ago, Andy Mac said:

Unfortunately not so. Statistics say that in the US there are 1.18 fatalities per 100 Million miles driven. As they drive 3.2 Trillion miles each year that's quite a lot of fatalities. However the main driverless proponents including Uber racked up about 6 Million miles and their first fatality, so statistically more dangerous when extrapolated.

It will be interesting to know what actually went wrong with the latest accident.  With the amount of sensors and data recorders fitted to these cars, it should be an easy task for the accident investigators and all other interested parties to find out what was at fault.  All the major car manufacturers, plus the likes of Google, are all heavily invested in the development of autonomous vehicles so it will improve faster than most other areas of automotive technology, with the possible exception of electric drives.  I can see the advantage of taking out the human element as computers don't get drunk, doped up, drowsy or distracted, so the argument for driver less cars is a strong one.  Incidentally, my first sighting of a driver less car on the road, a Tesla, was last year in California.  The guy in the driver's seat was busy on his laptop while the car sped down the outside lane of the freeway.  

There is now a video which apparently shows the person in Tempe came out of nowhere into the path of the car. The video was shot from the car and is in the possessionof the police, but not in the public domain.

10 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

There is now a video which apparently shows the person in Tempe came out of nowhere into the path of the car. The video was shot from the car and is in the possessionof the police, but not in the public domain.

So the collision couldn't have been avoided, given the physical braking distance of the car, regardless of reaction times.

2 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

So the collision couldn't have been avoided, given the physical braking distance of the car, regardless of reaction times.

Who knows but whether it a driverless car issue or just a careless other party is up for debate. Let's face it a driverless car could be almost perfect but would never be able to anticipate everything.

Mark and Steve you have both said it will happen and I agree I think it will as well.

still seems odd though.

i wonder what time frames we are thinking for this When there are more driverless than driven cars.

7 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Who knows but whether it a driverless car issue or just a careless other party is up for debate. Let's face it a driverless car could be almost perfect but would never be able to anticipate everything.

I think that would rely on the programming.  Now I hope you'll excuse me, 100 Year Old Driving School is about to start on ITV.

18 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

I think that would rely on the programming.  Now I hope you'll excuse me, 100 Year Old Driving School is about to start on ITV.

16 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

I'd be happy for the wife and mother-in-law to be driven around in one.

Anarchist! !!!!!

4 minutes ago, dylan said:

Diversions and road closures would be interesting.

agree, had to take one of mine for check up at hospital last year, late announced roadworks, bloody nightmare was late for appointment - sat nav useless although in end google maps on passenger phone worked

1 minute ago, shufflin said:

agree, had to take one of mine for check up at hospital last year, late announced roadworks, bloody nightmare was late for appointment - sat nav useless although in end google maps on passenger phone worked

Sound like a nightmare it’s ok if you know a place well but if you don’t know the roads it can be a problem.

Posted (edited)

The M1 is shut from fri 10pm till sun 3pm this weekend  jn’s 23a to 24 this will be interesting.

this isn’t as bad as it sounds diversion is simple.

Edited by dylan

Slightly off topic, a true story non the less, only in America. 

A few years ago now but some geezer bought a large touring vehicle - caravannette type thing. It had cruise control so he pressed the feature, hopped out of the driving seat and popped in the back to make some coffee. The outcome is obvious - the thing ran off the road and crashed. He sued motor manufacturers and won. WTF? 

1 hour ago, dylan said:

A bit off topic but as you mentioned amazon have you seen YouTube or any other footage of the little wheeled robots that move the cages around in the warehouses.  They are quite amazing.

back on topic did the person try to intervene or did he / she not get a chance to ?

i don’t like the idea of driverless cars it just doesn’t feel right.

Yes, I follow the escapades of Amazon closely. They are slowly taking over the world of retailing, and dispensing with the need for people in the quest for greater profit. One day, they may well own the copyright to most popular music and controll access to it... Silicon Valley is really sinking it’s FANGs into everyday life ie Facebook, Apple, Netflix, Google etc. The driverless car wheeze is just another scheme to get rich quick using the road and broadband infrastructure that someone else has established.

10 minutes ago, dylan said:

The M1 is shut from fri 10pm till sun 3pm this weekend  jn’s 23a to 24 this will be interesting.

this isn’t as bad as it sounds diversion is simple.

Don’t get me started on the topic of Smart Motorways and variable speed limits...

3 minutes ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Don’t get me started on the topic of Smart Motorways and variable speed limits...

For all the disruption they could at least add a 4th lane while they are  at it.

10 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Slightly off topic, a true story non the less, only in America. 

A few years ago now but some geezer bought a large touring vehicle - caravannette type thing. It had cruise control so he pressed the feature, hopped out of the driving seat and popped in the back to make some coffee. The outcome is obvious - the thing ran off the road and crashed. He sued motor manufacturers and won. WTF? 

I remember that. Only in Shit-for-brains America, thank god!

11 minutes ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Met my local MP a few months back. gave him what for on the 'smart' motorways and endless speed limits which have added 30 minutes to my journey time and caused endless congestion. He agreed and said he's spoken to the minister and was at least trying to get them better managed i.e. not putting speed limits on when there is little traffic, signs saying there's a 'incident' but no 'incident' to be found, slowing us down when its raining etc.

17 hours ago, Mark R said:

It's going to happen.......

Cheers,

Mark R

And the UK Government is pretty keen for the UK to be at the forefront of the technological developments.  Where I work we just secured a grant toward development of a state-of-art facility, one of several awarded around the country........

https://www.horiba-mira.com/news-and-events/2017/october/horiba-mira-and-coventry-university-secure-funding

Cheers,

Mark R

17 hours ago, dylan said:

Diversions and road closures would be interesting.

Remember, these are CONNECTED and autonomous vehicles......

Cheers,

Mark R

2 minutes ago, Mark R said:

Remember, these are CONNECTED and autonomous vehicles......

Cheers,

Mark R

Yes but will there alway be information available to be connected to ?

7 minutes ago, Mark R said:

And the UK Government is pretty keen for the UK to be at the forefront of the technological developments.  Where I work we just secured a grant toward development of a state-of-art facility, one of several awarded around the country........

https://www.horiba-mira.com/news-and-events/2017/october/horiba-mira-and-coventry-university-secure-funding

Cheers,

Mark R

Don't you think the UK is a little late to the party ?.

6 hours ago, Kegsy said:

Don't you think the UK is a little late to the party ?.

Not sure.....not really my area of expertise, though I doubt the government would invest so much if we were really that far behind.....

Cheers,

Mark R

Can somebody take me right back to basics please.

Will there always have to be a "person" on board these vehicles?

Or could I just program an empty vehicle to toddle off and pick someone up and bring them back to my house?

15 minutes ago, MBarrett said:

Can somebody take me right back to basics please.

Will there always have to be a "person" on board these vehicles?

Or could I just program an empty vehicle to toddle off and pick someone up and bring them back to my house?

That is the ultimate aim.  Completely autonomous vehicles.

13 minutes ago, middleman said:

I cannot think of many more boring things than sitting in a car doing nothing. 

But the idea is that you can do other things.  Being a car will almost be a secondary or incidental function.......

Cheers,

Mark R

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.