Jump to content
  • Sign Up
mike

Wigan Top 20 June 1975

Recommended Posts

A bit naughty, the 'Mecca' of British Soul. I wonder how many RS would be embarrased by now! Never managed to find Tamiko Jones on CD, anybody? Probably haven't heard it since 1975 so don't know what I'll make of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, stevesilktulip said:

A bit naughty, the 'Mecca' of British Soul. I wonder how many RS would be embarrased by now! Never managed to find Tamiko Jones on CD, anybody? Probably haven't heard it since 1975 so don't know what I'll make of it.

Wigan Casino 25th Anniversary CD......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wigan-Casino-Anniversary-Various-Artists/dp/B000026ZYS

or a used copy.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Wigan-Casino-25th-Anniversary-RARE-Goldmine-Northern-Soulo-CD-Gscd103-50-Trax/1613706998

 

 

 

Edited by Steve S 60

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for posting Mike.  A  month after I went the Casino for the very first time as a 16 year old . God there's some memories on there.  Flower Shoppe.  Cant remember when i last heard that played out anywhere.  Breakaway.  Ernie Bush. The  Trip. Dave Mitchell.  

Steve 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, stevesilktulip said:

Much obliged. People keep asking me for Butlers if that's what you wanted, anybody?

Steve.

It's Frankie Beverley and the Butlers. Unless I'm  missing something 

Steve 

Edited by Winsford Soul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kegsy said:

Hot Tips     Thumb A Ride ????, surely this was massive well before Wigan even opened ?.

1965.........old enough for Wheel and Torch........flyer must've been flagging it's revival?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, back street blue said:

1965.........old enough for Wheel and Torch........flyer must've been flagging it's revival?

Played to death at the Torch, Cats, Pendulum etc. in 72 and 73. Probably the biggest instrumental of the time. To the best of my memory, it was still getting plenty of plays in the main room at Wigan throughout all of 74, so how it could be flagged as a "hot tip" just six months later completely defeats me. Unless it was to coincide with the UK Capitol release?

Looking at quite a few of the sounds on this so-called "Top Twenty" list, it reminds me of why so many of the people who'd been on the scene for several years found themselves spending all night in M's by the summer of 75.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, soulatthedale said:

Shame Russ couldn't compile it on his own, at least there wouldnt be as much garbage in it such as Mel Britt.:shhh:

 

Always hated that bloody tune. Then again, could probably say the same of at least fifteen others on the above list. Some real sh8te there!!!!!! If you took that list as an example of what was played in any given hour there at that time, then compare it to the playlist of any given hour from exactly twelve months previously, there's absolutely no comparison. It was pretty dire by mid 75, but most of the Divvys arriving by the coach load seemed to be lapping it up, and one or two well known faces were making lots of dosh, so who am I to moan and grroan about it. We couldn't do anything other than watch our scene die, and slowly be replaced with something else.

Forking Sharonettes......God give me strength!!!!!!

 

Edited by Joey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mel Britt one of the greatest of all NS discoveries for me. I still like Send Him Back too but not to the same degree.

 

I try not to drop Frankie Beverleys name since I shook his hand on the video for Too Many Games. I'm the one with the white shirt and silly grin, but I was 33 years younger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ollie Jackson , Lou Pride , Tamiko Jones , Mel Britt , Mikki Farrow all great records in my opinion.

Sharonettes , Chantelles real cringe records and low points at the time but there’s been plenty of those over the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, professorturnups said:

Looking at that lot I'm glad I didn't go until 1979.

 

Mark C:thumbsup:

If you think that's a bad list, you are lucky you didn't hear some of the stuff played between 75 and 79.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patto said:

Ok there are some stinkers in that list but some great ones as well.Ollie Jackson flip side Got to Wipe Away the teardrops is an all time fave of mine.

 

Just a little while is a cracking stomper by him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Coming late to the soul scene at least i dont have to look through rose tinted specs at some of the pop music that got played.

 

quality control seems much better now if you pick venues with the right dj's or promotors.

Edited by dylan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Sign up/in to remove

7 minutes ago, dylan said:

Just a little while is a cracking stomper by him.

Big, big sound in 72. Big enough to be booted on OOTP if I remember correctly, and rarely seen nowadays on that label. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Judy Harris   You touch me  is one of my plays for ten years  one of the best severnties stompers  lovely label as well 

was really big tune by all accounts of my older mates that went  paul mud & gaz keen from leicester 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IAN STACEY said:

Judy Harris   You touch me  is one of my plays for ten years  one of the best severnties stompers  lovely label as well 

was really big tune by all accounts of my older mates that went  paul mud & gaz keen from leicester 

Yes it was a big tune, played 1st at the Mecca back in 74.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, davetay said:

Yes it was a big tune, played 1st at the Mecca back in 74.

 

never new that who discovered this then? :g:always assumed it a temple tune :hatsoff2:   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Zed1 said:

Don't need me to tell you this is a fantastic forum, the depth of knowledge about our music is truly amazing. But as soon as anyone mentions a certain Town just off the M6 in Lancashire, suddenly out come all the Scene 'experts' who are only to happy to tell me that actually my 3 years at Station Rd were in fact Crap, and It turns out I was actually a card carrying tourist Div who just turned up on a coach once a week to Shuffle about to a load of white pop crap disco tunes. in some 10+ years on this Forum I've read that Wigan 'Went Crap' in 73, 74, 75, 76, 77. 78. 79. 80 & 81. In other words it turned shite every year the place was open.

Maybe if I was Born a rare soul Fan like the resident experts on here I'd have known this and not bothered making the fookin' pointless trip every week!.

When I come on here and read Mel Britt described as 'Garbage' I think It's time move on given the Chin Molesters have finally taken over the asylum.

Keep Well Ste and Stay in Touch.

 

 

 

'

Gaz. We know the truth mate. We spent the most amazing,  special time of our lives at the Casino.  We met there and 40 odd years later we are still friends . :hatsoff2:the keyboard warrior's will never ever understand.  We must be some tourists mate. You have forgotten more about the scene than most of them know. Love to Debs. 

Ste 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 22/03/2018 at 19:33, Joey said:

Played to death at the Torch, Cats, Pendulum etc. in 72 and 73. Probably the biggest instrumental of the time. To the best of my memory, it was still getting plenty of plays in the main room at Wigan throughout all of 74, so how it could be flagged as a "hot tip" just six months later completely defeats me. Unless it was to coincide with the UK Capitol release?

I think the list leans too heavily towards commercial sales rather than Casino quality. Two outings from Tommy Hunt, a Casino stalwart. Sharonettes, one of the biggest tunes at the time but pressed up on U.K Black Magic. Possible Capitol release of Earl Wright? Mel Britt bootleg soon to be on sale in Minshall’s balcony kiosk. Only a few true classic Casino biggies here - Lou Pride, Ollie Jackson and of course, Mel Britt’s superb track. Nevertheless, plenty of good dance music with Pointer Sisters standing out as a timeless oldie.

Edited by FRANKIE CROCKER
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

I think the list leans too heavily towards commercial sales rather than Casino quality. Two outings from Tommy Hunt, a Casino stalwart. Sharonettes, one of the biggest tunes at the time but pressed up on U.K Black Magic. Possible Capitol release of Earl Wright? Mel Britt bootleg soon to be on sale in Minshall’s balcony kiosk. Only a few true classic Casino biggies here - Lou Pride, Ollie Jackson and of course, Mel Britt’s superb track. Nevertheless, plenty of good dance music with Pointer Sisters standing out as a timeless oldies.

I think you touch on something that most wouldn't even notice, them not being on the scene at the time, and being completely unaware of the major changes which were happening then. By the time this list was compiled, the scene was no longer a special underground club, and commercialisation had begun in earnest. How much, if anything, were certain people getting for pushing certain record companies tunes and/or upcoming boots? I was still on the scene in mid 75, and even known, on occasion, to venture down into the brave new world of the main room. There are definitely a few on that list that I have no recollection of whatsoever. I had to YouTube them. Disappointingly so.  So, we agree the list is geared towards something other than the top Casino sounds of June '75. Who then, is the list aimed at? Is this why the Earl Wright track is mentioned? Lots and lots of new faces were appearing every week by then, so was it them? "Buy this, you'll like it" sort of thing?

As to the classics you mention, I have no argument, only endorsement. Just because I never personally liked the Mel Britt tune doesn't mean it wasn't regarded as one of the biggest tunes of the Casino's first two years. I don't think the Ollie Jackson track, nice as it is, was nearly as good as his first offering on the scene, which made the Torch bounce, but it's still quality. Lou Pride needs nothing added. A real floor filler at the time. I'd argue re the Pointer Sisters 'til the cows come home, but then again, it's just my personal taste I suppose. Oh, and to me, they were all newies, not oldies!

You were obviously there at the time, and will almost certainly understand the changes I refer to. Both at Wigan, and at the Mecca. To me, and hundreds of others, it was probably the most tumultuous period the scene ever experienced. For some, it sounded the death knell of the one thing that made their miserable lives worth living, whilst for some others it was the brave new dawn that the drab, grey, forlorn and hope denuded North of England needed. C'est la vie. I'm absolutely sure that anyone coming onto the scene at the end of 75 had as fantastic a four years as I did between 70 and 74. 

Unless you were there and lived through it, whilst at the same time trying to scratch a living and make sense of the crappy country we lived in, then you wouldn't understand the depth of feeling that some people had when it was seemingly taken away from them. Factor in the massive change wrought at the Highland Room at the same time, and many felt they had nowhere left to go. 

Interesting times, some of the best of my life, but I'm sure others will have diametrically opposed views and memories to mine. 

(That list is still 75% sh&te though😂😂😂😂😂)

 

Edited by Joey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zed1 said:

Don't need me to tell you this is a fantastic forum, the depth of knowledge about our music is truly amazing. But as soon as anyone mentions a certain Town just off the M6 in Lancashire, suddenly out come all the Scene 'experts' who are only to happy to tell me that actually my 3 years at Station Rd were in fact Crap, and It turns out I was actually a card carrying tourist Div who just turned up on a coach once a week to Shuffle about to a load of white pop crap disco tunes. in some 10+ years on this Forum I've read that Wigan 'Went Crap' in 73, 74, 75, 76, 77. 78. 79. 80 & 81. In other words it turned shite every year the place was open.

Maybe if I was Born a rare soul Fan like the resident experts on here I'd have known this and not bothered making the fookin' pointless trip every week!.

When I come on here and read Mel Britt described as 'Garbage' I think It's time to move on given the Chin Molesters have finally taken over the asylum.

Keep Well Ste and Stay in Touch.

 

 

 

'

My description of Mel Britt as 'garbage' was in fact sarcasm, as was my comment about the Sounds Of Lancashire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, soulatthedale said:

My description of Mel Britt as 'garbage' was in fact sarcasm, as was my comment about the Sounds Of Lancashire. 

I knew it was that's why l gave you the thumbs up TOP MAN ,  fantastic record  l think we both agree , scene  ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Joey said:

I think you touch on something that most wouldn't even notice, them not being on the scene at the time, and being completely unaware of the major changes which were happening then. By the time this list was compiled, the scene was no longer a special underground club, and commercialisation had begun in earnest. How much, if anything, were certain people getting for pushing certain record companies tunes and/or upcoming boots? I was still on the scene in mid 75, and even known, on occasion, to venture down into the brave new world of the main room. There are definitely a few on that list that I have no recollection of whatsoever. I had to YouTube them. Disappointingly so.  So, we agree the list is geared towards something other than the top Casino sounds of June '75. Who then, is the list aimed at? Is this why the Earl Wright track is mentioned? Lots and lots of new faces were appearing every week by then, so was it them? "Buy this, you'll like it" sort of thing?

As to the classics you mention, I have no argument, only endorsement. Just because I never personally liked the Mel Britt tune doesn't mean it wasn't regarded as one of the biggest tunes of the Casino's first two years. I don't think the Ollie Jackson track, nice as it is, was nearly as good as his first offering on the scene, which made the Torch bounce, but it's still quality. Lou Pride needs nothing added. A real floor filler at the time. I'd argue re the Pointer Sisters 'til the cows come home, but then again, it's just my personal taste I suppose. Oh, and to me, they were all newies, not oldies!

You were obviously there at the time, and will almost certainly understand the changes I refer to. Both at Wigan, and at the Mecca. To me, and hundreds of others, it was probably the most tumultuous period the scene ever experienced. For some, it sounded the death knell of the one thing that made their miserable lives worth living, whilst for some others it was the brave new dawn that the drab, grey, forlorn and hope denuded North of England needed. C'est la vie. I'm absolutely sure that anyone coming onto the scene at the end of 75 had as fantastic a four years as I did between 70 and 74. 

Unless you were there and lived through it, whilst at the same time trying to scratch a living and make sense of the crappy country we lived in, then you wouldn't understand the depth of feeling that some people had when it was seemingly taken away from them. Factor in the massive change wrought at the Highland Room at the same time, and many felt they had nowhere left to go. 

Interesting times, some of the best of my life, but I'm sure others will have diametrically opposed views and memories to mine. 

(That list is still 75% sh&te though😂😂😂😂😂)

 

Apologies for being born at the wrong time & yes I did have a fantastic four years after 74 & Yes I think I even enjoyed myself until the mid 80's & then I further enjoyed myself being born again in the late 90's but then we can't be all gifted with the talents for spotting or knowing everybodies musical tastes in every given era because as many have said on here one person's shite is another's well you get what I mean. All I can say is that it Northern Soul as it was called did become mainstream & yes lots of people across the country enjoyed it, so may I apologise personally for all those who ruined a perfect underground scene that was given to the chosen few prior to some of us being born.

Yours in admiration

Kirsty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gold Band said:

Apologies for being born at the wrong time & yes I did have a fantastic four years after 74 & Yes I think I even enjoyed myself until the mid 80's & then I further enjoyed myself being born again in the late 90's but then we can't be all gifted with the talents for spotting or knowing everybodies musical tastes in every given era because as many have said on here one person's shite is another's well you get what I mean. All I can say is that it Northern Soul as it was called did become mainstream & yes lots of people across the country enjoyed it, so may I apologise personally for all those who ruined a perfect underground scene that was given to the chosen few prior to some of us being born.

Yours in admiration

Kirsty

You are missing the point completely. I tried to explain why so many people left the scene at the time, and did so with great frustration and anger. At no point have I ever tried to belittle anyone's time on the scene. I say again, that we all enjoyed our time, regardless of when it was. FYI, although an attendee at all the clubs recognised as being the top venues in Northern souls heyday, my very best experiences were in that first year or so at the Casino. Until a group of people changed things for their own reasons. If you weren't there prior to this, then it's absolutely impossible for me to get across what happened, and what it meant to people. Or at least most of them anyway. I also came back into the scene later in life, and like yourself once again enjoyed myself immensely. That however, doesn't change what happened, nor how I still feel about the whole affair. Easy on the sarcasm next time, eh? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joey said:

I think you touch on something that most wouldn't even notice, them not being on the scene at the time, and being completely unaware of the major changes which were happening then. By the time this list was compiled, the scene was no longer a special underground club, and commercialisation had begun in earnest. How much, if anything, were certain people getting for pushing certain record companies tunes and/or upcoming boots? I was still on the scene in mid 75, and even known, on occasion, to venture down into the brave new world of the main room. There are definitely a few on that list that I have no recollection of whatsoever. I had to YouTube them. Disappointingly so.  So, we agree the list is geared towards something other than the top Casino sounds of June '75. Who then, is the list aimed at? Is this why the Earl Wright track is mentioned? Lots and lots of new faces were appearing every week by then, so was it them? "Buy this, you'll like it" sort of thing?

As to the classics you mention, I have no argument, only endorsement. Just because I never personally liked the Mel Britt tune doesn't mean it wasn't regarded as one of the biggest tunes of the Casino's first two years. I don't think the Ollie Jackson track, nice as it is, was nearly as good as his first offering on the scene, which made the Torch bounce, but it's still quality. Lou Pride needs nothing added. A real floor filler at the time. I'd argue re the Pointer Sisters 'til the cows come home, but then again, it's just my personal taste I suppose. Oh, and to me, they were all newies, not oldies!

You were obviously there at the time, and will almost certainly understand the changes I refer to. Both at Wigan, and at the Mecca. To me, and hundreds of others, it was probably the most tumultuous period the scene ever experienced. For some, it sounded the death knell of the one thing that made their miserable lives worth living, whilst for some others it was the brave new dawn that the drab, grey, forlorn and hope denuded North of England needed. C'est la vie. I'm absolutely sure that anyone coming onto the scene at the end of 75 had as fantastic a four years as I did between 70 and 74. 

Unless you were there and lived through it, whilst at the same time trying to scratch a living and make sense of the crappy country we lived in, then you wouldn't understand the depth of feeling that some people had when it was seemingly taken away from them. Factor in the massive change wrought at the Highland Room at the same time, and many felt they had nowhere left to go. 

Interesting times, some of the best of my life, but I'm sure others will have diametrically opposed views and memories to mine. 

(That list is still 75% sh&te though😂😂😂😂😂)

 

Don’t forget that Russ had a record shop in Wigan so had a vested interest in pushing particular discs. Richard was much less into the sales side of things. The Highland Room rang the changes so the Casino had to follow - there was more dross played in Blackpool than Wigan. The mid 70’s were a party compared to the early years of the decade and the Casino arrived at just the right time. The night Mel Britt was sold en masse at Wigan was electric - the record had a rapturous reception on the main floor. I associate Pointer Sisters with Blackpool more than Wigan as that’s where I first heard it. The music and times were great back then and that’s why we’re still talking about it now. Even the worst records played at Wigan were better than anything in the pop charts at the time so maybe we should count our blessings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spain pete said:

I knew it was that's why l gave you the thumbs up TOP MAN ,  fantastic record  l think we both agree , scene  ? 

Yes thanks I realised that, i was confirming it was sarcasm as another post suggested I was serious about it being garbage!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry, didn't read all previous posts. But, Tommy Hunt - Cracking up and Get Out? Were they really that massive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I Remember those charts well ,  looking at it today , it definately seems that it is  more of an advert for  many discs that were available for sale at that time (or were about to become available) .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Don’t forget that Russ had a record shop in Wigan so had a vested interest in pushing particular discs. Richard was much less into the sales side of things. The Highland Room rang the changes so the Casino had to follow - there was more dross played in Blackpool than Wigan. The mid 70’s were a party compared to the early years of the decade and the Casino arrived at just the right time. The night Mel Britt was sold en masse at Wigan was electric - the record had a rapturous reception on the main floor. I associate Pointer Sisters with Blackpool more than Wigan as that’s where I first heard it. The music and times were great back then and that’s why we’re still talking about it now. Even the worst records played at Wigan were better than anything in the pop charts at the time so maybe we should count our blessings.

Thank you. Finally, someone who was there to witness what happened, and can understand what I am attempting to convey in my ramblings. Richard, from what I can recall, had some sort of tie-in with Global Records in Manchester I think. Russ, as you say, had his shop in Wigan. Who knows what else, if anything, both had to gain, financially speaking. I feel that others were also involved, some of them still very active on part of the scene. Did Mike Walker and others also have an interest in opening it all up to the entire world? Who knows? Or is all this just supposition and a fevered imagination? By the time of this list, we were seeing tunes being manufactured specifically for the scene, and boots galore were appearing. I wonder just how much was taken in the night that the Mel Britt boot was first offered for sale? Makes you think, eh?

The Highland Room began to change in a major way at the end of 73. Some of the stuff Levine played in his spots at the Casino in early 74 did NOT go down well at all, as I'm sure you remember. Half the dance floor sat down crosslegged etc. etc. I completely agree that much of what got played at the Mecca from early 74 onwards was complete and utter dross. Careful though, enough Mecca fanboys on here to jump down your throat if you continue to voice opinions such as those! As for musical policy, did the Casino really have to change so much in reaction to the Mecca? Maybe, maybe not. No matter what opinion any of us have on the subject, we will never really know. That list at the top of the page tells its own story to many of us though.

Regardless of what happened, and who instigated it, and for what purposes, I can agree with you regarding the times we lived through. I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Edited by Joey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I suppose the acid test for that list would be, how many of them would have been played at Va Va's or Cleethorpes ?.

Edited by Kegsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Benji said:

sorry, didn't read all previous posts. But, Tommy Hunt - Cracking up and Get Out? Were they really that massive?

Short answer is "NO". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kegsy said:

I suppose the acid test for that list would be, how many of them would have been played at Va Va's or Cleethorpes ?.

Excellent point. Cleethorpes, I couldn't say, as I left the scene before attending. VaVas though? Probably four or five on that list, tops. Plus Earl Wright.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Joey said:

Thank you. Finally, someone who was there to witness what happened, and can understand what I am attempting to convey in my ramblings. Richard, from what I can recall, had some sort of tie-in with Global Records in Manchester I think. Russ, as you say, had his shop in Wigan. Who knows what else, if anything, both had to gain, financially speaking. I feel that others were also involved, some of them still very active on part of the scene. Did Mike Walker and others also have an interest in opening it all up to the entire world? Who knows? Or is all this just supposition and a fevered imagination? By the time of this list, we were seeing tunes being manufactured specifically for the scene, and boots galore were appearing. I wonder just how much was taken in the night that the Mel Britt boot was first offered for sale? Makes you think, eh?

The Highland Room began to change in a major way at the end of 73. Some of the stuff Levine played in his spots at the Casino in early 74 did NOT go down well at all, as I'm sure you remember. Half the dance floor sat down crosslegged etc. etc. I completely agree that much of what got played at the Mecca from early 74 onwards was complete and utter dross. Careful though, enough Mecca fanboys on here to jump down your throat if you continue to voice opinions such as those! As for musical policy, did the Casino really have to change so much in reaction to the Mecca? Maybe, maybe not. No matter what opinion any of us have on the subject, we will never really know. That list at the top of the page tells its own story to many of us though.

Regardless of what happened, and who instigated it, and for what purposes, I can agree with you regarding the times we lived through. I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Russ also sold records via mail order. What is surprising is the lack of Pye Disco Demand related tunes, especially as Footsee had recently gone big. I can remember the Sharonettes being played about five times one Saturday night - by the time I got to North Western next morning, I was hearing the song bar-for-bar in my head waiting on the platform.

Not too worried about the Mecca lads’ comments - the 60’s purists will agree with me and the sissy Disco boys who wore plastic sandals and white peg-legs fell off the scene thirty years ago. At least Ian Levine has admitted he took the scene too far towards the commercial end of the spectrum - pretty lazy and neglectful given there were so many good 60’s sounds waiting to be discovered. I wasn’t at the Casino for any of Levine’s spots and remain baffled as to why he was invited in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Russ also sold records via mail order. What is surprising is the lack of Pye Disco Demand related tunes, especially as Footsee had recently gone big. I can remember the Sharonettes being played about five times one Saturday night - by the time I got to North Western next morning, I was hearing the song bar-for-bar in my head waiting on the platform.

Not too worried about the Mecca lads’ comments - the 60’s purists will agree with me and the sissy Disco boys who wore plastic sandals and white peg-legs fell off the scene thirty years ago. At least Ian Levine has admitted he took the scene too far towards the commercial end of the spectrum - pretty lazy and neglectful given there were so many good 60’s sounds waiting to be discovered. I wasn’t at the Casino for any of Levine’s spots and remain baffled as to why he was invited in the first place.

Yeah, I remember Russ's lists. I never bought anything from him, as I only collected British releases. Easy now, with all the in-depth info available, but back then very few people could easily tell the difference between a genuine import and a boot/pressing. I didn't want to take the chance on buying worthless crap myself.

I do recall the Sharonettes being played. Although I spent most if not all of my time in M's, I did on occasion venture downstairs. Soon found myself running back up the stairs though! As for it being played half a dozen times, same happened twelve months previously, with "Afternoon of the Rhino".  Couldn't get on the floor when it was on. 

The Mecca crowd? To be honest, in the early days there were a lot of sound people from Blackpool. Knew some great guys from there. But once Levine began taking the place Ina totally different direction, the crowd also seemed to change. Ha, yeah, those plastic sandal wearing kids. Hilarious. It was as though a cult-like following surrounded him, where he could do no wrong, and every tune he played was the best ever. Sad. As for his spots at the Casino, they numbered few. I really don't know how he was invited, or by whom. I just remember him playing David and the Giants, much to the horror and distaste of just about everyone in attendance. This was at the height of the old "Levine must go" protests. Maybe his admission regarding taking things way too far are a small step in the right direction towards some kind of redemption? By 76, the Mecca was more like bloody Studio 54 than a northern/rare soul venue. Could you imagine how good the place could have been had he actually put his mind to it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Joey said:

 By 76, the Mecca was more like bloody Studio 54 than a northern/rare soul venue. Could you imagine how good the place could have been had he actually put his mind to it? 

Only ever went the to the highland room twice. Couldn't see the point trying to get to Blackpool when I had enough trouble in 1975 at 16 years of age getting the 20 miles from Widnes to Wigan. Bus, train, hitch a lift , cadge a lift 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

Only ever went the to the highland room twice. Couldn't see the point trying to get to Blackpool when I had enough trouble in 1975 at 16 years of age getting the 20 miles from Widnes to Wigan. Bus, train, hitch a lift , cadge a lift 

Steve

You should have just got a lift with Coddy or Frank New.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Sign Up

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign up now!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

    • 1 posts
    • 93 reads
    • scotchmartin
    • 15 May 2018
    • 1 posts
    • 274 reads
    • Kieron Taz Robathan
    • 07 May 2018
    • 2 posts
    • 185 reads
    • source team
    • 05 May 2018
    • 1 posts
    • 283 reads
    • artandsoul
    • 30 Apr 2018
    • 1 posts
    • 389 reads
    • hammie
    • 26 Apr 2018
    • 82 posts
    • 2760 reads
    • chalky
    • 22 Apr 2018
    • 1 posts
    • 234 reads
    • solidsoul
    • 13 Apr 2018
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.