uk labels -did they ever exist

Guest ganesh

Guest ganesh

years ago when I was collecting I used to like getting anything on a uk demo if it was available and two records I heard about but never saw were:

volumes - I just can't help myself (I think also on US American arts) - uk Pama

sue lynne - don't pity me - irish label emerald.

did they exist?

the hardest uk demos were the polydor and Philips group, jon ford and tony middleton etc

other uk items I never saw a demo of - soul joe clemants - ever ever or stella starr - bring him back on piccadilly

Social source share

Hiya, I remember seeing a picture/ scan of the volumes on pama but I don't think the record has ever turned up. The scan was probably how the track would have looked. If I remember correctly the track was put on a pama upcoming release sheet. Who knows ? Fork in the road turned up and of course darrell banks. Cheers

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I've been fortunate enough to have had two copies of Sue Lynne.  Both republic of Ireland RCA  issues.  Never heard the rumours about the emerald label. Maybe something to do with the Irish  RCA connection  and someone put the two  things together and come up with emerald. Don't know.

Steve 

Steve 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

...I have also seen the scan for The Volumes on PAMA....I might be wrong (it was a while back),but I’m sure the chap that showed me it said “I think it might be a “Pete Wid” originally sourced photo copy....as for the POLYDOR demos,isn’t Edwin Starr (SOS)probably the hardest to get hold of?  Tho Tony M more desirable?....

Social source share

The existence of The Volumes on Pama was discussed on here about 4 or 5 years ago. I vaguely remember seeing a photo of the record in a fanzine so I got it out and posted a scan of it on here. I was quickly informed by a number of people that this was a well known practical joke done by a Mr T Wheel (get it ..Twisted Wheel). As it was ages ago before computers etc it was a pretty good photo and looked convincing. The record may have been a planned release by Pama but it never came out, just like Darrell Banks on London issue, so could there be one lurking somewhere, who knows.....

Rick

Social source share

15 minutes ago, Rick Cooper said:

The existence of The Volumes on Pama was discussed on here about 4 or 5 years ago. I vaguely remember seeing a photo of the record in a fanzine so I got it out and posted a scan of it on here. I was quickly informed by a number of people that this was a well known practical joke done by a Mr T Wheel (get it ..Twisted Wheel). As it was ages ago before computers etc it was a pretty good photo and looked convincing. The record may have been a planned release by Pama but it never came out, just like Darrell Banks on London issue, so could there be one lurking somewhere, who knows.....

Rick

Yes Rick,it was a great photo,although it was black and white,you could easily visualize the silver text,on blue background...have you still got it?....I’m sure I was told it was a Pete Widison “original”.... :glare: ...,

Social source share

14 minutes ago, MGM 1251 said:

Yes Rick,it was a great photo,although it was black and white,you could easily visualize the silver text,on blue background...have you still got it?....I’m sure I was told it was a Pete Widison “original”.... :glare: ...,

This is the old post about the Volumes. The photo looked better in the magazine but I don't think I could find it again.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Mick Smith & Pete Smith could tell you all about UK issues and demo's never released.
But 45's do turn up years later.
Look @ Darrell Banks silver top London - bet a few peeps "wet their pants" on seeing that !

Cheers...................   Tom.

Social source share

On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 15:40, ganesh said:

years ago when I was collecting I used to like getting anything on a uk demo if it was available and two records I heard about but never saw were:

did they exist?

the hardest uk demos were the polydor and Philips group, jon ford and tony middleton etc

other uk items I never saw a demo of - soul joe clemants - ever ever or stella starr - bring him back on piccadilly

Found a Stella Starr demo on Yellow Piccadilly in a local junk shop.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

the hardest uk demos were the polydor and Philips group, 

Polydor: I've had one or two demos where its just a little paper label thinly glued onto the issue that falls off very easily.

Philips: seen demos that are again, same as issues and also with a little sticker that falls off and others with the word 'SAMPLE' crudely stencilled on (literally looks like they have held a stencil over it and got a monkey to wipe a paint brush over the stencil).

Not sure either necessarily always bothered with different labels for demos.

Edited by JoeSoap
Social source share

• 1 month later...
On 27/03/2018 at 14:26, Steve Foran said:

Found a Stella Starr demo on Yellow Piccadilly in a local junk shop.

Always collected UK stuff in the early 70's. Stella Starr? Had two demos. Deffo yellow Piccadilly. Polydor demons, in my experience anyway, were sometimes easier to get than issues. Think Holidays, inspirations etc.

Social source share

1 minute ago, samplat said:

No holidays or inspirations demo’s .  Fireman demo on Atlantic rare.  Of the polydor demo’s I would say Jamo Thomas. I spy  is probably the rarest

Definitely never seen a Jamo Thomas. Or a Vala Regan demo. Sandy Wynns Touch of Venus demo never seen either. I did have an issue with a  sample label affixed though.

Social source share

On 05/05/2018 at 14:45, Joey said:

Definitely never seen a Jamo Thomas. Or a Vala Regan demo. Sandy Wynns Touch of Venus demo never seen either. I did have an issue with a  sample label affixed though.

Those sample stickers were used to avoid vat in places like oldies unlimited weren't they? 

Social source share

8 minutes ago, geeselad said:

Those sample stickers were used to avoid vat in places like oldies unlimited weren't they? 

Couldn't say yea or nay on that. The last Sandy Wynns on Fontana that I had was in 72 or 73. Can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday never mind that far back!!!!!!! 

Was OU even open back then? Cant rightly remember it when I was ever in Wolvo back in the early 70's.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

1 minute ago, Goldsoul said:

0F38C616-6982-488E-916D-1149DED19EEA.jpeg

Yep, knew they existed, but never had a sniff of one when I was collecting. If I'd been offered this one, I'd have willingly proferred my left knacker, and full rights to my first born.

Social source share

24 minutes ago, airfixkid said:

I turned up a Jamo Thomas demo at a boot sale, cant be as anywhere as rare as a Tony Middleton stock copy...?

Couldn't tell you I'm afraid. Again, I was collecting back in the early 70's, and didn't have either a demo or issue. Come to think of it, I really don't think too many people even knew of it until several years later.

Social source share

2 hours ago, geeselad said:

Don't know if it applies to UK labels too, but many german demos were just issues with a "not for sale" (or something similar) stuck on it. Was told reason for that is pretty simple, either they didn't bother to print separate demo labels or they ran out of demos and sent out issues with a sticker instead.

Social source share

By coincidence an old mate of mine who sold records had a large supply of those "not for sale" stickers and used to stick em to any old records. For uk pressings they should be on mid 1060s Fontana/ philips only I think anything else = FAKE.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 22/03/2018 at 11:04, MGM 1251 said:

...I have also seen the scan for The Volumes on PAMA....I might be wrong (it was a while back),but I’m sure the chap that showed me it said “I think it might be a “Pete Wid” originally sourced photo copy....as for the POLYDOR demos,isn’t Edwin Starr (SOS)probably the hardest to get hold of?  Tho Tony M more desirable?....

I saw The Volumes' scan too.  It looked like it was real.  I didn't see any signs of a Photoshop job.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

20 hours ago, Joey said:

Was OU even open back then? Cant rightly remember it when I was ever in Wolvo back in the early 70's.

I may be wrong, but I used to get lists in the early 70s from A J Lewis in Telford, I think the name changed to Soul Scene I think, I believe he may have become oldies unlimited. Originally it was just general soul stuff, but there were some "northern" items in there.

Paul

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Paul r said:

I may be wrong, but I used to get lists in the early 70s from A J Lewis in Telford, I think the name changed to Soul Scene I think, I believe he may have become oldies unlimited. Originally it was just general soul stuff, but there were some "northern" items in there.

Paul

I remember quite a few mail order firms, many of who had one or two Northern items on their lists. But I can't recall OU having a bricks and mortar shop that far back. May be wrong though, as memories do tend to fade!

Social source share

5 hours ago, Joey said:

I remember quite a few mail order firms, many of who had one or two Northern items on their lists. But I can't recall OU having a bricks and mortar shop that far back. May be wrong though, as memories do tend to fade!

It was in St Georges, Telford. It was still in the mid 70's

Social source share

1 minute ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

It was in St Georges, Telford. It was still in the mid 70's

Ahah, that explains why I never saw it when in Wolverhampton then!!!!!!!!😂

Social source share

22 hours ago, tomangoes said:

65 release?

5 years later on pama, as a demo? Why? 

Ed

Screenshot_20180506-234627.png

To take advantage of the growing popularity of The Motown Sound and the new growing popularity of Detroit Soul in The UK?  It does seem a bit far fetched.  It should have been released in The UK on a demo in 1965, or else for The Northern Soul market, perhaps in 1974 or after.

Social source share

On 22 March 2018 at 15:40, ganesh said:

That was invented as a joke to wind up someone who reckoned they had everything there was to have on British.

Dx

Given a good original label scan it would take me about 5 minutes to do a photoshop job on something like this that simply could not be distinguished at PC screen resolution. Dx

Social source share

On 22/03/2018 at 15:40, ganesh said:

did they exist?

been trying to buy stellar starr from one of the older generation dj/ record dealer  for a few years  he has two  .one he plays the other a stock copy  so there are some on the scene 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!