Cultural History

jam66

Just sat here on my 3rd bottle of red wine wondering, and I think I've posted similar thoughts before but haven't the sobriety to look.

Have we in a manner of speaking rescued many a black artist, producer, musician, label and or any other epithet you wish to apply from not only obscurity but the total theft of their output and influence. It's easy to say 'yeah she/he was influenced by the '60s''or whatever, however we have put the flesh and bones to such inane and vague statements. I really feel we have rescued and/or pulled true American music from the British invasion that may have had it's points but in general dragged America back to its crappy European roots and destroyed the delights being created (and I say that recognising  its use of European orchestral themes, not the same as what Brit pop did to them), by it's Jazz and blues roots influence. Just think of the music that would have been absolutely lost if it hadn't been for you lot seeking it out.

Reason for this. I think it will hit Black America soon. So hold on to your hats.

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Will throw my hat in the ring by saying it won't be the next big thing , America has always been a forward thinking country where as most of Europe seems to rest on its Laurel's  , l think in general retro is a dirty word in the states and for them to realise what they created in terms of artistic quality will not happen , they are always looking for the next big Thang  , and then not holding on to it  and cherishing it , their lost is our gain,  god bless America . 🎶🎶🎶 

Social source share

Most present day US black singers have no idea about their heritage .... mention Chuck Jackson, Howard Tate, Lorraine Ellison, Jimmy Hughes, Lee Dorsey, Linda Jones, Garnett Mimms, Barbara Randolf, Walter Jackson, Steve Mancha, J J Barnes and they have no idea at all who / what you're talkin about.

It's almost the same as back in the 60's when the Stones said they'd only go on TV shows with Howling Wolf and no US TV employee knew who / what Howling Wolf was. 

Social source share

On a slightly different note BBC 4 did a programme on Friday about cover versions and Go Now was one of the songs looked at and an interview with Bessie Banks and a member of the Moody Blues who calmly said they found a copy of Go Now in a shipment of records and decided they must cover it. Not a single mention of who or where Bessie was. They then showed the moment where they both met for the first time. I swear you could cut the atmosphere, Bessie was quite rightly very cold and you could tell she really didn't want to meet him let alone shake his hand as he stood there looking so embarrassed and guilty. I'd love to know how long it took Bessie to get any money out of it, or if she got any at all.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

14 minutes ago, soulatthedale said:

On a slightly different note BBC 4 did a programme on Friday about cover versions and Go Now was one of the songs looked at and an interview with Bessie Banks and a member of the Moody Blues who calmly said they found a copy of Go Now in a shipment of records and decided they must cover it. Not a single mention of who or where Bessie was. They then showed the moment where they both met for the first time. I swear you could cut the atmosphere, Bessie was quite rightly very cold and you could tell she really didn't want to meet him let alone shake his hand as he stood there looking so embarrassed and guilty. I'd love to know how long it took Bessie to get any money out of it, or if she got any at all.

Why would Bessie banks get any money out of a cover version of a song she didn't write, produce or arrange ?, of course her husband Larry should have got some for writing credits.

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

1 minute ago, soulatthedale said:

My mistake, i always assumed the original recording artist was entitled to some payment, even if they didn't write, produce or arrange 

They are entitled to payments from their own recording not cover versions. If Bessie never got any money from the song it was probably because she and Larry divorced around or just before the time it was released.

Social source share

On 24/03/2018 at 15:25, Spain pete said:

Will throw my hat in the ring by saying it won't be the next big thing , America has always been a forward thinking country where as most of Europe seems to rest on its Laurel's  , l think in general retro is a dirty word in the states and for them to realise what they created in terms of artistic quality will not happen , they are always looking for the next big Thang  , and then not holding on to it  and cherishing it , their lost is our gain,  god bless America . 🎶🎶🎶 

Hendrix and chad chandler didn't think they could break hendrix in the states and focused Initially on the UK market, thinking  us more more progressive in our outlook. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

When he started touring with Johnnie halladay in Europe he became so stoned he didn't know or care where he was living or performing . 

29 minutes ago, geeselad said:

Hendrix and chad chandler didn't think they could break hendrix in the states and focused Initially on the UK market, thinking  us more more progressive in our outlook. 

Social source share

14 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Evening Steve

I hope you’re well mate. I know I’ve mentioned this loads of times before, but Edwin is buried in the same cemetery as my mum. Wilford Hill in Nottingham. It’s a very peaceful place, with views right across the city. I often imagine Edwin singing to my mum, with his voice being accompanied by the gentle rustling of the leaves on the breeze.

Now, Jules Holland knows his music, I like him. He said that Edwin was the best live vocalist that he had ever heard. A fine accolade indeed.

Pete

Good evening sir :hatsoff2:Very well thank you.  Hopefully your good too mate :D

That's a lovely sentiment that brings a lump to my throat :yes:

Steve 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

21 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Good evening sir :hatsoff2:Very well thank you.  Hopefully your good too mate :D

That's a lovely sentiment that brings a lump to my throat :yes:

Steve 

Ah, thanks Steve, that’s lovely of you to say that. 

I’m ok mate. I’ve got an ongoing health issue - I won’t bore you with the detail! Anyway, just back from the doctors and he’s trebled my dose of amatryptiline! :hypo:

Pete 

👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I think i get the tone of your thread Jam66, and have some empathy with it in general. But...there's 360 million people in North America and many of them are in-tune with their ( and our NS /R&B/Soul) music history and culture.

It's "like us" though, how many out of the total population of the UK ( is 54 million?) 'get it'?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Peter99 said:

I know I’ve mentioned this loads of times before, but Edwin is buried in the same cemetery as my mum. Wilford Hill in Nottingham. It’s a very peaceful place, with views right across the city. I often imagine Edwin singing to my mum, with his voice accompanied by the gentle rustling of the leaves on the breeze.

As Steve has stated,what a truly lovely sentiment.

That's a beautiful thing you've said there,Pete.

:)

Edited by Soulsides
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!