News: Frank Wilson Test Press Stays in Detroit - Jack White & Record Store Day News

Guest Denise Zieja

Guest Shufflin

i wonder how many other celebrities are buying rare soul vinyl, guess this is a good result for the city, better on display there than stuck in in some box in a posh mansion in UK :-)

Social source share

So if this had a few test presses and a few demos already cut, would it have already passed the 'hit or miss' staff jury to get to that stage? ie, the nod to start production or not was from tapes, or after a very limited production of demo discs?

It also only got stopped from producing more demos or even being issued because of Berry Gordy's direct intervention?

Ed

Social source share

Guest Denise Zieja
On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 03:49, tomangoes said:

I wonder if the imminent pressing will be 'as is ' like the test pressing?

Does the colour purple have a significance?

Ed

The purple has to do with the original Soul label and yes like the test pressing.  We saw it pressed a few days ago.

Social source share

Am I missing something here, its a rare record for sure, but no way is it a rare sound, it has been re -released by motown , was bootleg and on CDs etc

So whos going to buy yet another reissue of an overplayed record ?

Social source share

17 minutes ago, sheep said:

Hipsters with their big trendy beards,flat as a pancake 'kung fu' shoes and skinny denim jeans...

probably.

Edited by Soulsides
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, sheep said:

Am I missing something here, its a rare record for sure, but no way is it a rare sound, it has been re -released by motown , was bootleg and on CDs etc

Was thinking the same thing.  I cringe every time I hear it.

Social source share

2 hours ago, sheep said:

Perhaps it’s not overplayed in the states ?

Social source share

5 minutes ago, the yank said:

I plan on buying the record. I'm not a Hipster don't have a big trendy beard , flat as pancake "kung fu" shoes or skinny denim jeans.

There are people who live in the U.S. who collect and love Soul music.

Think we all need to calm down ! 

Agreed. 

Social source share

33 minutes ago, JulianB said:

Website says available 21st April

Can you pre order ( if we know the price?)

21st is RSD. You can buy from physical shops on that day (and thereafter while stocks last) but the RSD code of conduct prohibits shops from selling unsold copies online until 7 days later.  If I have any  copies left at that time I'll do a shout on here in case anyone needs one.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, dylan said:

Perhaps it’s not overplayed in the states ?

Unlikely to be even known in clubs in the USA, with some minor boutique exceptions of which there are only a handful. But ye, that's a possibility !!!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 minutes ago, sheep said:

Unlikely to be even known in clubs in the USA, with some minor boutique exceptions of which there are only a handful. But ye, that's a possibility !!!

Thats a big market for reissue then.

Social source share

1 minute ago, modernsoulsucks said:

I've asked mate in NJ to get me one. He's having a copy too

I collect USA Motown so figured it can go in that box. I do seem to have three legit copies already.

Only thing I'm dubious about is purple vinyl. Rather have black and I reckon should have the choice on the day.

There’s a black run planned after the initial RSD release Rod

Social source share

35 minutes ago, sheep said:

I've never heard the record played on the radio or tv. In fact, the only time I heard it played out was at one of Soul Trip U.S.A. events.

It's probably only known to Motown collectors and among record collectors. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
On 3/30/2018 at 21:14, Steve L said:

Who's Jack White?

he did a gig in Blackpool and covered Dolly Parton

Social source share

3 hours ago, modernsoulsucks said:

I collect USA Motown so figured it can go in that box. I do seem to have three legit copies already.

Only thing I'm dubious about is purple vinyl. Rather have black and I reckon should have the choice on the day.

How have you managed that Rod, I’ve been in touch with the pressing plant and they can’t tell me anything?

Social source share

21 hours ago, sheep said:

There's no such thing as "overplayed". Ask any classical music fan who's listened to Beethoven's Symphonies thousands of times over the course of a lifetime. Or an Elvis fan who plays Heartbreak Hotel every day for fifty years. Or the Beatles fans who play their catalogue over and over and never get tired of it.    You mean you personally are tired of hearing it.

Who's going to buy it? Anyone who wants an unusual legitimate format of a very rare record is a good starting point. Add other indicators such as "soul" Motown" etc.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

13 hours ago, modernsoulsucks said:

Personally I think the purple is a big plus and aesthetically, with the label,  I think it'll look pretty good. (wthout seeing the actual shade).

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, maslar said:

Within record collecting there's alway been a market for re-issues. it's only within the rather narrow confines of northern soul that re-issue is a dirty word. which is a pity really.

Bootleg maybe, legal reissue perfectly ok with the Northern fraternity. If theres a market in the US for a reissue of this then all well and good, not so sure its going to do much here in the UK though, could be wrong

Social source share

2 hours ago, maslar said:

There's no such thing as "overplayed". Ask any classical music fan who's listened to Beethoven's Symphonies thousands of times over the course of a lifetime. Or an Elvis fan who plays Heartbreak Hotel every day for fifty years. Or the Beatles fans who play their catalogue over and over and never get tired of it.    You mean you personally are tired of hearing it.

Who's going to buy it? Anyone who wants an unusual legitimate format of a very rare record is a good starting point. Add other indicators such as "soul" Motown" etc.

Believe me there is such a thing as overplayed and this falls into to it nicely !, the reissue is not a rare record and as I pointed out not a rare sound here in the UK, it got issued by motown in the UK some years back and it gets played in supermarkets etc. I for one have zero interest in a reissue legal or otherwise, but hey, good luck hope it sells well.

Social source share

4 hours ago, maslar said:

Personally I think the purple is a big plus and aesthetically, with the label,  I think it'll look pretty good. (wthout seeing the actual shade).

I was thinking about "authenticity" really. 

I know there are red vinyl Motown 45s. Trying to think if seen purple ? Jimmy Ruffin/Gladys Knight pops into my head but cant place why ?

I just thought black vinyl was used for original.

Not that keen on re-issues myself as would prefer unreleased material to be put out but I guess sales/revenue come into it.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, tomangoes said:

If a new 'audience' in the US get as much pleasure as we did in the UK in the seventies, when de da do broke, it will be fantastic.

Agreed.

It would actually be somewhat  ironic if the track managed to pick up lots of interest through radio play etcetera and became a hit record.

Some sort of 'final justification' perhaps after all is said and done ?

• Up vote 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, modernsoulsucks said:

I know there are red vinyl Motown 45s. Trying to think if seen purple ? Jimmy Ruffin/Gladys Knight pops into my head but cant place why ?

Not that keen on re-issues myself as would prefer unreleased material to be put out but I guess sales/revenue come into it.

Motown mostly used red vinyl for their promo releases. There were some yellow and blue vinyl promos in the 70's.

I don't think I've ever seen purple vinyl for a Motown release, have seen it on Okeh though. 

Edited by the yank
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

6 hours ago, modernsoulsucks said:

As you said, red. This sits in my Motown box, original demo...

bobby-taylor-oh-ive-been-blessd-vip-3.thumb.jpg.2a90a725e7a0cf104f419916c9dbae40.jpg

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!