What’s the biggest track playing out at the moment

Jazz

I guess it depends on the type of event you attend, the ones I go to don't always reflect my current tastes but from what I see anything that has been played to death for the last forty years still fills the floor even as was the case recently at an event I was at it gets played twice in a night, same people dancing to a record they danced to an hour ago, I've heard Papa Bear and the Cubs played a few times recently with sadly no reaction on the dancefloor but kudos to the Dj's concerned for plugging away  and trying.

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Twoshoes said:

I guess it depends on the type of event you attend, the ones I go to don't always reflect my current tastes but from what I see anything that has been played to death for the last forty years still fills the floor even as was the case recently at an event I was at it gets played twice in a night, same people dancing to a record they danced to an hour ago, I've heard Papa Bear and the Cubs played a few times recently with sadly no reaction on the dancefloor but kudos to the Dj's concerned for plugging away  and trying.

Papa Bear is a floorpacker for Ted Massey, Ginger etc.  Was revived at Lifeline early 2000s and subsequently hammered by anyone who could get one of the many copies out there.

Very few big new discoveries, if any, certainly mainstream. 

Edited by chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, chalky said:

Papa Bear is a floor taker for Ted Massey, Ginger

Ginger is one of the dj's I was talking about, he has played it each time he's Dj'ed at an event I go to and virtually no one danced, what fills the floor at one place isn't guaranteed to do it elsewhere, it was played last night at the Carlton Club, one person danced. 

Social source share

13 minutes ago, geeselad said:

The scene is just so fractured now can there be a single big tune, what's just breaking in the mainstream is past its best before in the upfront. 

Thats so true.  Every thing has become pigeon holed up in to what ever that latest buzz word is  ( funky edged ) for example.  Scrap the boxes,  play the tunes if they're good they will set there own demand and reaction 

Steve 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

29 minutes ago, geeselad said:

It's not a great record to dance too. Hate the bloody record personally. Rarity over quality, OK it's got soul, unusual production etc, but in terms of groove it ain't all that and certainly never a dance floor winner. The scene is just so fractured now can there be a single big tune, what's just breaking in the mainstream is past its best before in the upfront. 

The mainstream northern scene is years behind.  I can’t imagine a record breaking there that isn’t already known from one of the smaller scenes within the scene.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

20 minutes ago, dylan said:

Is this the record rod (voices) had for 15 quid.

shortly after it was going for big money.

10/15 years after Rod it went for big money or began to after it had been revived.  Quite a lot of copies out there too, more than people realise.

Social source share

51 minutes ago, geeselad said:

It's not a great record to dance too. Hate the bloody record personally. Rarity over quality, OK it's got soul, unusual production etc, but in terms of groove it ain't all that and certainly never a dance floor winner. The scene is just so fractured now can there be a single big tune, what's just breaking in the mainstream is past its best before in the upfront. 

How can you say out isn't a dance floor winner?  Packs the floor whenever I have seen it played and more and more Djs getting behind it, 3k a copy, fckin barmy.

Social source share

21 minutes ago, dylan said:

The mainstream northern scene is years behind.  I can’t imagine a record breaking there that isn’t already known from one of the smaller scenes within the scene.

Some of the so called upfront/rare scene Djs are ten years behind.  Getting the records the likes go Butch, Andy etc had years ago, or the funky edge crap that wasn't considered good enough years ago and they think they are cutting edge.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

29 minutes ago, chalky said:

10/15 years after Rod it went for big money or began to after it had been revived.  Quite a lot of copies out there too, more than people realise.

Rod must have had a few to let it go cheap.  Wasn’t it front page focus or record of the list what ever term he used ?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The last 'soul night' I went to was a couple of weeks ago in Las Vegas

The biggest dancefloor filler....

Next, a Ska record, followed closely by Wully Bully.

All described as curve balls.

Takes all sorts I guess, but the ' anything goes ' phenomenon is not for me I'm afraid.

Luckily the bar downstairs was open all night :)

Ed

• Up vote 3
Social source share

2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Thats so true.  Every thing has become pigeon holed up in to what ever that latest buzz word is  ( funky edged ) for example.  Scrap the boxes,  play the tunes if they're good they will set there own demand and reaction 

Steve 

Don't get out much these days Ste as you know, but on the odd time I do I get the overwhelming impression that to go forwards we need to go backwards and bring everything back under one roof. This would also have the added benefit of bringing about cull of the Party Northern DJ's and weekly Pensioners Disco's...

Sadly, I doubt it'll happen as I think we're just too far apart and never the twain shall meet.

Edited by Zed1
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Zed1 said:

Don't get out much these days Ste as you know, but on the odd time I do I get the overwhelming impression that to go forwards we need to go backwards and bring everything back under one roof. This would also have the added benefit of bringing about cull of the Party Northern DJ's and weekly Pensioners Disco's...

Sadly, I doubt it'll happen as I think we're just too far apart and never the twain shall meet.

It'll never happen as the scene is not as simple as 60s, 70s or 80s anymore.  It is far more diverse.  

Social source share

2 hours ago, chalky said:

Some of the so called upfront/rare scene Djs are ten years behind.  Getting the records the likes go Butch, Andy etc had years ago, or the funky edge crap that wasn't considered good enough years ago and they think they are cutting edge.

Certainly an amount of vitreous indignation that's not becoming of the elder generation of soul purists  and someone so respected and knowledgable. Leave it out chalky, you sound bitter! 

Social source share

11 minutes ago, geeselad said:

Certainly an amount of vitreous indignation that's not becoming of the elder generation of soul purists  and someone so respected and knowledgable. Leave it out chalky, you sound bitter! 

Certainly not mate.  Just saying that it isn't just the mainstream that is years behind and that most of the big records have been around for many years now.  The biggest tracks are the ones that have been popular for some years on both sides of the 60s/northern scene.  I heard newer stuff at the weekend and they clear the floor even though they are/were IMO better dancers.  So in answer to the original question the biggest records are still the same ones as before.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Fairs fair, it's unlikely any record is going to be a new discovery that was made between 63 and 83 in which era most of the scenes tunes are drawn from.

Best hope would be a tune that is good but did not quite take off everywhere back in the day, gets a second or third chance.

And boy when they take off, so does the price!

Salvation for example.

Seems to me the guys who've chased the master tapes etc have been the most successful in bringing new material onto the scene. No original discs, limited runs, been very welcome in most cases, but can't go on forever.

Ed

Social source share

If you like traditional northern, modern or funk,Latin ska ,stick to your own clubs and enjoy yourselves personally I only go to niters that play what I like and bearing in mind there is many thousands to choose from a good dj will keep the floor well packed 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Best way to educate myself nowadays is indoors listening to the radio and looking on the web , seems to me forward thinking and even backward new thinking  is resigned to a few events all of which l can't attend, never one for going out much , but when l did l always wanted something new , even if it was something old new , think l'm a lucky sod because every day l find a newbie even if it is old to someone else. 🎶🎶🎶 ✌

Social source share

3 hours ago, dylan said:

Rod must have had a few to let it go cheap.  Wasn’t it front page focus or record of the list what ever term he used ?

Soul Bowl had Papa Bear originally, but no one was interested back then.

Rod had at least 15 copies in the early 90s, which is where I got my copy (blind), thinking it looked interesting. We kind of did daft things like that back then didn't we.  

• Up vote 2
Social source share

41 minutes ago, Steve G said:

Soul Bowl had Papa Bear originally, but no one was interested back then.

Rod had at least 15 copies in the early 90s, which is where I got my copy (blind), thinking it looked interesting. We kind of did daft things like that back then didn't we.  

funny when you look back some of those oddball punts on cheaper interesting looking items end up being worth a lot more than something that often listed and sold for a lot more.

is anybody having the same sucess now ?

Social source share

1 hour ago, Ted Massey said:

that was the Vanguards Good times bad times on Lamp 

I didnt know he had that cheap as well ?

i remeber finding some online sales lists for a shop in new york and it was like a treasure trove of expensive records all very cheap.  I missed them all. But often wonder if anybody did actually manage to get anything.  And how late i was to getting some success.

Social source share

I used to get soul bowl lists, and many tracks were unheard of in the mainstream, so papa bear listed at a quid would have been a leap of faith unless you lived in Kings Lynn!

No online listening then, mores the pity!

Then again, when John cleared out a million discs via soul packs, you would have got it for ten pence!

I accumulated at least 500 quality 70s tracks from soul packs that way, and discarded the other 1500 ' average track or label interest only ' at record fairs mainly for trades.

It really was win win for the soul pack buyers.

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!