surprised by your own collection?

Guest Gogs

I admit that i really never pay any attention to my LP collection but the other day i was looking for an O'jay's lp, eventually found it (not where i thought it was) but while looking i found 40 northern soul various artists compilation lp's that i really had forgotten about having.

Have you ever been surprised by something that you've found in you own collection while hunting for something else?

Social source share

The Carstairs was one of the last northern soul records I bought as a northern soul fan so I didn't sell it with the rest, which proved fortuitous when it became such a big deal on the early weekender scene. I finally sold it when I sold the rest (Ronsoul if I remember correctly (and I often don't)).

I've had it several times on CD but I buy and sell and, when I decided to play it a few months back, realised I didn't have it. Then I found it; then I found it again, and again.

Last time I DJd, a couple of people asked me for records I didn't have, but have since found out I have them both, one of them twice. These big CD box sets you bought for a few tracks have allsorts of hidden... 

Social source share

Yes I’m sure we’ve all done it. However you file things it’s not easy and if a few years go by it can be profitable...memories of High Fidelity and the constant refiling by label or artist. Anyway I retired after over 40 years of collecting not too long ago and found out while looking for Darrell banks open the door I had it on three singles and one lp.   Same with many others. US, UK, and often European all filed in different places. Made me check lots of others - not quite while searching for something else but same outcome a nice surprise. Then it’s “which do I sell”.   I sold my only when you’re lonely royalettes uk mgm demo as had a lovely foreign  pic cover of same but then regretted it. Ha the vinyl insanity. Paul T

Social source share

Guest Shufflin

those Allnighter ones pictured by Gogs are really good, same with the Kent Classiest Rarities, still play 'em

Social source share

Don"t think thats always so bad Steve, can be a different fliside or mix. Its buying the exact same copy I mean. Happened today I had a Gwen McCrae LP in my hand and could not remember if I had it. Left it behind after a whle pondering got home to find I did have a (better) copy. Maybe I"m learning :huh:

Cheers Paul

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
16 minutes ago, The Tempest said:

I was at a 60th birthday party a few years back - the dj used - unbeknown to the birthday boy - his record collection - playing b sides / underplayed and forgotten gems - along with lp tracks 

The host congratulated the dj at the end of the night on his tunes and asked him to write down a few that he really enjoyed ! 

I can still see the look of shock on his face when he was told it was his collection ! Priceless ! 

No matter how good you are - there are ALWAYS surprises hidden away in your tunes !!!! 

that's brilliant!

Social source share

I find duplicates, triplicates of records I wasn't sure I had, and find I am still missing certain releases I thought I had for 40 years, and had passed up buying for 1000 times thinking I had it.  :ohmy:  And MUCH  of that time was BEFORE I became senile with long-term memory problems! :rofl:

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Many, many years ago I bought a couple of thousand 45's from the remnants of what was left from the Bradford Market stockpile. They were 40 records for a quid bought blind. Given the taste at the time was mainly uptempo stompers, very few of the records passed the first 30 seconds play test and the vast majority were consigned to boxes at the back of the garage. They remained there for over 20 years. About 10 or more years ago and following the change in tastes, crossover, 70's etc I decided to investigate said records again.

8 copies of Big Daddy Rogers.

4 copies Eskew Reeder Undivided Love.

Patience Valentine on Sar.

2 copies Bobby Hutton Come See etc.

Darondo on Af-Fa World

Plus probably quite a few 100 quid plus records I can't remember and dozens of others now valued between 30-50 quid.

Edited by Kegsy
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

Sold the uptights look a little higher without ever listening to the flip.

a while later i heard it on a comp CD thought this is brilliant what is it ?

felt a bit daft when i read who it was.....

Edited by dylan
Social source share

2 minutes ago, dylan said:

Sold the uptights look a little higher without ever listening to the flip.

a while later i heard it on a comp CD thought this is brilliant what is it ?

felt a bit daft when i read who it was.....

Always listen to flip sides, you can be pleasantly surprised :yes: 

Social source share

11 minutes ago, gogs said:

Always listen to flip sides, you can be pleasantly surprised :yes: 

From thousands of records over the years this one somehow got missed :g:

i am usually thorough enough.

i was happy enough selling but wouldnt have minded enjoying the other side a bit first.......

Social source share

Talk about a surprise.

Took a box of 'not needed' 45's to the local record shop in the hope that I'd get a £1 each for them. Owner of the shop wasn't interested in any of them.

A few weeks later I popped back in there and was thumbing through some Psych LP's and came across a compilation called 'Rubble' or something like that featuring... and I quote 'Rarities From The UK'. You guessed, one of those 'not needed' 45's was on there! I posted it on ebay and got.....

https://www.popsike.com/Abel-Fletcher-Girl-On-The-Shore-Rare-FreakbeatPsychOrganRubble-1970/201201578400.html

Just goes to show, you really don't know what you've got lurking in your 'throw away' box!

Edited by Soul-Slider
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Actually I found a big handful of stuff while clearing out my late Mum's house just this weekend.  Maybe 20 or 30 records I'd stashed there 40 years ago. My heart was pounding a weenie bit faster.  Some of the labels and artists looked so promising but I couldn't remember any of them too well.  "Oooh - here's a couple by the Saphires that I don't recall.... this one by the Sydels looks promising... hmmmm almost unplayed..... and what's this on a Philly label by the Relations? Hang on a sec... here's a few old reggae tunes on UK labels..."  

Couldn't wait to get home and play them.

That's when it became obvious exactly why I'd left them at Mum's house all those years ago.  Obviously I thought they were all crap in '74.  Time had not been kind to any of them!!!

Ah well.....Maybe there'll be an Eddie Parker in the attic!

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!