Same Old Same Old

Bitchdj

i had a non soulie friend round for the evening.....we had a few sherberts then she asked if i would play some vinyl...having been to a soul nite with me before i agreed...altho i dont often play my vinyl when i am slightly shall we say wobbly??....so i hauled a box out and dusted it off and proceeded to play a few old fings....some of them seemed pretty naff to me ....but i listened with new ears as my friend exclaimed....its like no other music i have ever heard....another convert do you think or are we just plain weird????

discuss.... :thumbsup:

cookie wicked.gif

Social source share

• Replies 28
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I did a CD for a work mate's auntie who used to go to the wheel , va-va's & early wigan; not knowing what to really put on, I filled it with what i'd call old popular (over-played?) oldies.

Thought i'd include one for my work mate too (31, totally not into soul) got this feed back:

"Thanks hugely for the CDs....my auntie was delighted and one for me

too...excellent.

I've listened to it a couple of times and it's great. Very uplifting

music that makes you want to dance around."

Weird? Maybe.

Social source share

It was the overplayed oldies that first got me into the scene only a couple of years ago and now im collecting and to be honest one track leads to another and before you know it your hooked and for now i just cant get enough of it all and just want to keep hearing new sounds and i cant get out to enough doo`s as you cant beat the atmosphere and all the great people in the scene.

A good few of my mates are following in my footsteps too and im bringing new sounds to them and there are often at least half a dozen of us getting out and about and loving every minute of it.

So are the same old same old such a bad thing ?

Bearsy

Social source share

It was the overplayed oldies that first got me into the scene only a couple of years ago and now im collecting and to be honest one track leads to another and before you know it your hooked and for now i just cant get enough of it all and just want to keep hearing new sounds and i cant get out to enough doo`s as you cant beat the atmosphere and all the great people in the scene.

A good few of my mates are following in my footsteps too and im bringing new sounds to them and there are often at least half a dozen of us getting out and about and loving every minute of it.

So are the same old same old such a bad thing ?

Bearsy

I don't think so, they are what made me get into NS, but that was a long time ago. Just 'weird' (or rather it's not) that someone not into soul of any kind should be effected by them i.e. wanting to dance around to them. The point being, that if any 'genre' of the scene is going to attract new people, what's it most likely to be? Probably, those old, ancient oldies? Or ..... feel free to comment.

Social source share

I don't think so, they are what made me get into NS, but that was a long time ago. Just 'weird' (or rather it's not) that someone not into soul of any kind should be effected by them i.e. wanting to dance around to them. The point being, that if any 'genre' of the scene is going to attract new people, what's it most likely to be? Probably, those old, ancient oldies? Or ..... feel free to comment.

===========

Personally I think they're a great place to start, in general (please note I've said in general) they've got a bit more oomph to them and maybe a more commercial sound than some of the current faves, and probably they're more dance friendly, all important points to someone experiencing the scene for the first time. Course this is only my opinion :thumbsup:

Winnie:-)

Social source share

===========

Personally I think they're a great place to start, in general (please note I've said in general) they've got a bit more oomph to them and maybe a more commercial sound than some of the current faves, and probably they're more dance friendly, all important points to someone experiencing the scene for the first time. Course this is only my opinion smile.gif

Winnie:-)

I totally agree with you there Winnie,

if people are looking to go out and have a dance and a good time at the same time experiencing the scene for the first time then they are probably the best way to start as after all the scene was built around dancing to quality 60`s soul wasnt it.

like me once i started getting right into it aint it natural to keep wanting to hear more tunes and learning more about what the scene is really all about. or am i just a wiedo like they say i am :thumbsup:

Bearsy

Social source share

i had a non soulie friend round for the evening.....we had a few sherberts then she asked if i would play some vinyl...having been to a soul nite with me before i agreed...altho i dont often play my vinyl when i am slightly shall we say wobbly??....so i hauled a box out and dusted it off and proceeded to play a few old fings....some of them seemed pretty naff to me ....but i listened with new ears as my friend exclaimed....its like no other music i have ever heard....another convert do you think or are we just plain weird????

cookie wicked.gif

dont think its that we are weird, think your friends probably just got a good ear for good music! raises an interesting piont though....i think sometimes we can get so obsessed with some of the current plays and forget just how good some of the oldies or classics are.......if your friend is new to the music she wont differentiate between whats current or not, as the music is basically the same style and era......probably a lesson there somwhere ?....i know sometimes if i am unsure about including a record in a a dj slot i will often play it to my nephew who is in his thirties and whilst knowing a bit about the music, would not consider himself as a soulie...what he will give is a totally unbiased opinion of the record on its merits....Jem

Social source share

Guest bleusuperb

Recently posted a topic on what to include on a cd for a workmate who was intersted on hearing some of this Northern Soul I was always going on about, I played it safe with tried and trusted oldies, he thinks its fantastic and so does his girlfriend. I think that the quality of the music will always win through

Social source share

when i was at the Torch in 68 i asked the dj whose the bloke with the high voice.....he said it was the Impressions "you been cheating"....its all been uphill since then..... :D

I thought you were meaning Dave Evision ....... his voice was breaking about then ! :thumbsup:

( seriously ..... Dave's voice dropped about the same time mine did .... during the war )

Malc Burton

Social source share

cookie :D

Hiya Cookie

I have a motown /northern spul night coming up on the 16th

and I can't wait to see what "joe public" makes of the soul dancing and the sounds

Weve sold 300 tickets and a lot are general public

My work collegues are going and one said " I cant wait to see you dance "

I laughed and said why? what are you expecting to see????

She said she'd seen N/s footage and is hoping for the dancing to be like that!!

All of the staff are getting excited

I keep thinking they'll think Im a right anorak!!!!

Mand keeping the faith :D

Social source share

Hiya Cookie

I have a motown /northern spul night coming up on the 16th

and I can't wait to see what "joe public" makes of the soul dancing and the sounds

Weve sold 300 tickets and a lot are general public

My work collegues are going and one said " I cant wait to see you dance "

I laughed and said why? what are you expecting to see????

She said she'd seen N/s footage and is hoping for the dancing to be like that!!

All of the staff are getting excited

I keep thinking they'll think Im a right anorak!!!!

Mand keeping the faith :D

do they not realise that we r all far too old ( well some of us ) to do that acrobatic stuff now :D

cookie ( who never dances anymore ) :thumbsup:

Social source share

totally agree with this ....... i think many of these so called overplayed oldies are catchier and more immediate .... and therefore more accessible for those new to northern soul (or more or less any genre for that matter).

here's a cd comp I did for a friend I'm new to the 'scene' so I don't know if they're played out oldies current floorfillers -- they're just good tunes.

1 The Way I Love You The Continental Four

2 All My Good Lovin' Len Jewell

3 So Long Goodbye George Torrance

4 Gone With The Wind Rita and The Tiaras

5 Youre Just The Kind Of Guy Kim Weston

6 What Love Brings Kenny Bernard

7 Hey Girl Jimmy James

8 It Only Happens Jackie Wilson

9 I'll Pick A Rose For My Rose Marv Johnson

10 Beautiful Woman Chuck Jackson

11 Sweeter Than The Day The Valentinos

12 I Got The Power Joann Courcy

13 Nothin Can Stop Me Impressions

14 I Can't Help Loving You Paul Anka

15 Stop and Get A Hold Gladys Knight and The Pips

16 You Baby Jackie Trent

17 Love Can't Be Modernised Trips

18 You Spanky Wilson

19 It's Better To Have Don Covay

20 I Feel Good All Over Bettye Lavette

21 Gonna Love You A Long, Long Time Patti & The Emblems

22 I'm The One To Do It Lavern Baker

23 When Love Slips Away Margo & The Marvettes

24 Turn Back The Hands Of Time. Tyrone Davis

25 I'm A Big Man Big Daddy Rogers

26 I Have Faith In You Edwin Starr

27 Youre Gonna Make Me Love You Sandi Sheldon

28 Our Love Will Grow Showmen

29 Someday The Sun Will Shine Deon Jackson

Social source share

I did a CD for a work mate's auntie who used to go to the wheel , va-va's & early wigan; not knowing what to really put on, I filled it with what i'd call old popular (over-played?) oldies.

Thought i'd include one for my work mate too (31, totally not into soul) got this feed back:

too...excellent.

Weird? Maybe.

list of the tunes you chose would be good

cookie :D

what tunes did you play?

Social source share

list of the tunes you chose would be good

AD LIBS – NEW YORK IN THE DARK

ARTISTICS – HOPE WE HAVE

BELLES – DON’T PRETEND

BUNNY SIGLER – DON’T MAKE ME WAIT

CARSTAIRS – IT REALLY HURTS ME

CHANDLERS – YOUR LOVE MAKES ME LONELY

CHRISTINE COOPER – HEARTACHES AWAY MY BOY

DANNY MONDAY –BABY WITHOUT YOU

DRIFTERS – BABY WHAT I MEAN

EPITOME OF SOUND YOU DON’T LOVE ME

FOUR PERFECTIONS – I’M NOT STRONG ENOUGH

HERBERT HUNTER – I WAS BORN TO LOVE YOU

HOLLY ST. JAMES – THAT’S NOT LOVE

JADES – I’M WHERE IT’S AT

JAMES FOUNTAIN – SEVEN DAY LOVER

JAY TRAYNOR – UP & OVER

LARRY ALLEN –CAN’T WE TALK IT OVER

LARRY SANTOS – YOU GOT ME WHERE YOU WANT ME

LOU RAGLAND – TRAVELLING MAN

MAJESTICS – I LOVE HER SO MUCH IT HURTS ME

MAURICE & RADIANTS – YOU GOT IT BABY

MONTCLAIRS – YOU GOT ME HUNG UP

OTIS SMITH – LET HER GO

PATTI & EMBLEMS – I’M GONNA LOVE YOU A LONG LONG TIME

PORGY & MONARCHS – MY HEART CRIES FOR YOU

STANLEY MITCHEL – GET IT

TOBI LEGEND – TIME WILL PASS YOU BY

VELVET SATINS – NOTHING CAN COMPARE

(Probably in order of label and Tobi L last)

Social source share

VELVET SATINS - NOTHING CAN COMPARE

a current favourite of mine -- does that mean I'm a played out oldie ??

Edited by johnm
Social source share

AD LIBS - NEW YORK IN THE DARK

ARTISTICS - HOPE WE HAVE

BELLES - DON'T PRETEND

BUNNY SIGLER - DON'T MAKE ME WAIT

CARSTAIRS - IT REALLY HURTS ME

CHANDLERS - YOUR LOVE MAKES ME LONELY

CHRISTINE COOPER - HEARTACHES AWAY MY BOY

DANNY MONDAY -BABY WITHOUT YOU

DRIFTERS - BABY WHAT I MEAN

EPITOME OF SOUND YOU DON'T LOVE ME

FOUR PERFECTIONS - I'M NOT STRONG ENOUGH

HERBERT HUNTER - I WAS BORN TO LOVE YOU

HOLLY ST. JAMES - THAT'S NOT LOVE

JADES - I'M WHERE IT'S AT

JAMES FOUNTAIN - SEVEN DAY LOVER

JAY TRAYNOR - UP & OVER

LARRY ALLEN -CAN'T WE TALK IT OVER

LARRY SANTOS - YOU GOT ME WHERE YOU WANT ME

LOU RAGLAND - TRAVELLING MAN

MAJESTICS - I LOVE HER SO MUCH IT HURTS ME

MAURICE & RADIANTS - YOU GOT IT BABY

MONTCLAIRS - YOU GOT ME HUNG UP

OTIS SMITH - LET HER GO

PATTI & EMBLEMS - I'M GONNA LOVE YOU A LONG LONG TIME

PORGY & MONARCHS - MY HEART CRIES FOR YOU

STANLEY MITCHEL - GET IT

TOBI LEGEND - TIME WILL PASS YOU BY

VELVET SATINS - NOTHING CAN COMPARE

I would be up dancing all night to this lot

Afterall Im an oldies fan and they do what they say on the can

Mand :D

Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

A mate and me always have long chats about music, hes a big electronica and indie fan, but he likes a bit of soul so I made him a CD and put this lot on it......they are mostly what i think of as great northern/dancefloor soul. Some well know stuff and some a bit more obscure (maybe)

When i spoke to him he said his fave was lady lady - colt 45's what i thought was a bit odd as its probably the maddest record on there.

You're So Fine - Papa Bear And The Cubs

Is Your Love For Me? - King Of Soul

Speed Up - Betty Moorer

Baby What Has Happened To Our Love - Ringleaders

Lady Lady - Colt 45s

Sweet Memories - Robert Tanner

She's Wanted - Larry Clinton

Please Stay - The Iviories

Man In Love - New Wanderers

lonely For You Baby - Sam Dees

Suspicion - The Originals

Were Not Too Young - The Cameros

Heart, You're Made Of Stone - Magnetics

I'm Waiting - Bill Bush

Just Because -Pat And The Blenders

Carlena - Just Brothers

Sugar - Isonics

Just Lovin' You - Ruby Andrews

You Been Gone To Long - Ann Sexton

Running Back & Forth - Edwin Starr

Call On Me - The Dynells

I'm In Debt To You - The Innersection

Girl You So Good To Me - Lil Major Williams

Lil' Woman - Ronnie West

I'd be Grateful - Brothers Of Soul

Hold Me In Your Arms - Eddie Holman

he really seemed to enjoy the cd whats nice, so maybe a new recurit!

Social source share

Guest mel brat

too...excellent.

Weird? Maybe.

I believe that it's our soulful DUTY at this time of year to record dozens of magical soul sides (not just Northern) CDs and tapes, then go 'round handing 'em out free to complete strangers at bus stops! Spread the faith!

(SOUL-PUSHER SANTA)

Social source share

Guest mel brat

ooh sum stuff like....

the ambers - i love you baby

bunny sigler - girl dont make me wait

pookie hudson - this gets to me

velvelettes - lonely lonely girl am i

etc etc

AMBERS is FANTASTIC! One of my all-time faves!

Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

Thanks delasoul! i might take you up on that one of these days. Your right spread the good news like some kooko individual soul evangilsist.

Just listend to the ambers on soul club..........what a fuckin record. Its sunday and im drunk, it must be christmas time.....(hic)

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

we are not weird on the scene but i played some simple motown songs like Temptations - ain't to proud to beg at work and someone said what is all this shit you listning to but i just couldn't be asked to argue with him over the scene and how it is.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!