Moving house with a record collection

1 minute ago, nickinstoke said:

I’m moving house soon and need to find the best ways of moving, accommodating and maybe storing a substantial collection. I’m sure some of our members have done this - I’d really value any helpful advice you can offer

Nick. Substantial ? 1000 , 5000. 10,000. I would only trust them in my car, even if it involves a few journeys.  Good luck 

Steve 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Great chance to build new shelving and re-file and re-organise a collection. Plan well and have measured shelving that will hold your chosen boxes well. A good chippy who understands records is essential. Make sure your speakers are ear level height ( I prefer standing when spinning my platters) and your turntable is on an 'independent' table or shelf surface, one that will not cause your records to skip if you walk close by or decide to have a little boogie. I don't let ANYBODY touch my original records when moving them. If you do and something goes wrong you will only have yourself to blame!

Social source share

Great suggestions, many thanks. I’ll definitely move the singles myself, maybe let the removal men do the LPs. I’ve got purpose-built shelves here but that’s been vetoed by my beloved, so any thoughts on ready-made? Looking at around 12000 singles and 2000 LPs

Social source share

Will you be moving into a house with a ‘record room’? If so, will there be enough space to go for waist level racks as in record stores? You certainly need a lot of crates to transport your records and I suspect you need to hire a van to shift the 45’s. White ‘200’ boxes are ideal for transport and/or storage, and perfect for retrieval so rather than shelving the records just in sleeves, I would recommend boxing the records and then shelving the boxes in rows rather than stacking them. The shelves will need to be custom made to be an ideal fit for the space available - this might mean you take your purpose built shelves and your dearly beloved with you...

Social source share

On 09/04/2018 at 08:50, Stompingsevens said:

This is called 'piggy-back' shelving which is designed for 12" LPs, I had the cardboard trays made to fit the 45's. I also had some wooden boxes made which 'sit inside' for my 78's. You used to get this shelving from Heals/ Habitat, not sure if it's still available online, it just comes in single units and you can build as high and as long as you want. It's really good and easy to move from house to house should you ever move again. Oh, and that's my speakers.......

That is some record room! I’ll definitely be investigating those shelves. Many thanks 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, nickinstoke said:

Thanks for all your suggestions. I think shelving will be my major challenge so feel free to keep sending great ideas 

The ikea cube shelving has always served me well and comes in lots of sizes.

Social source share

This is called 'piggy-back' shelving which is designed for 12" LPs, I had the cardboard trays made to fit the 45's. I also had some wooden boxes made which 'sit inside' for my 78's. You used to get this shelving from Heals/ Habitat, not sure if it's still available online, it just comes in single units and you can build as high and as long as you want. It's really good and easy to move from house to house should you ever move again. Oh, and that's my speakers.......

Thats is some room very impressive.

in top pic you seem to have a, b, c on top shelf and repeated on 2nd shelf.

why not just have them all sorted in one go ?

different genres ?

Social source share

That has confirmed a suspicion I’ve had for a long time. I live in shit house, in squalor, with an even shittier record collection. 

🙁

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, dylan said:

Thats is some room very impressive.

in top pic you seem to have a, b, c on top shelf and repeated on 2nd shelf.

why not just have them all sorted in one go ?

different genres ?

Ska and Reggae UK in Red Sleeves, Ska and Reggae JA in light green. US R'n'B / Blues in dark green upper shelf and USA group R'n'B / Doo Wop in Dark Green lower shelf. Reggae and Ska UK filed by label as lots of the issues have different artists on A/B sides.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

If you ever need need someone to come round to your gaff and spend some quality time  MATE  ,  l'm here fir ya  . 👏🎶🎶🎶👅

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!