Poll: Cd Buying in 2018

Mike

Last Cd purchase poll  

1. 1. When did you last buy an 'official' Cd album?

• within last 28 days
    • over a month
    • over 6 months
    • over a year.....

This poll is closed to new votes

• Sign in or join to vote
  • Poll closed on 16/04/18 at 10:50

Yesterday I buy constantly, both new releases by current artists and reissues/compilations.  I am always looking for soul music I haven't got or recently discovered.  CD is my main buying format and I probably spend £150-£200 a month on it (some of which gets sold on, most kept).  I also buy some.fownloads for tracks not available on CD or now out of print on CD.  I thought yesterday so its current and ongoing with me.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

This arrived at the weekend.

Its Sir Coxsone's Outernational Sound System presents 'Shock Of The Century' featuring Super Cat, Eek-A-Mouse, Nitty Gritty,Nicodemus and others.

It's a pretty cool cd if you're a fan of Jamaican Sound System stuff and definitely one I'd recommend if so.

I also got these highly amusing 'Sample Hamsters' from Japan which arrived in the post at the same time (hence the photo) and that repeat the sounds they hear when you press a button on their bellies.

I've been.. ahem.. 'teaching' them to swear at the dog and drive it insane much to the wife's annoyance, hehehe.

lYdh62x.jpg

Edited by Soulsides
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Last CD I bought was this one and that was probably at least a year ago now.

5acb750f36d88_Streetfunk.jpg.d6a6684bf608ea8d39ea8c0b5b45700d.jpg

Bought a new iMac before Christmas last year. Apple, in their wisdom, chose to do away with the inbuilt CD/DVD drive. That means unless I buy a separate drive, I have nothing to play CDs on and nor can I upload them to iTunes, which is what I always did. Seems Apple would prefer their customers to download music via their own iTunes offering rather than allow us to have the option of playing something physical. As a result I can't see me buying any more CDs for the foreseeable future - not that I was a great buyer of them anyway. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

21 minutes ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Last CD I bought was this one and that was probably at least a year ago now.

5acb750f36d88_Streetfunk.jpg.d6a6684bf608ea8d39ea8c0b5b45700d.jpg

Oh,that looks like my cup of tea for sure.Im always on the lookout for these types of cd's but i've not seen this before...i'll have to check this one out, thanks for posting Russell !  :hatsoff2:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

53 minutes ago, Jimmy Disco D said:

Last CD I bought was Oasis "Definately Maybe" when it came out. Can't say that I particularly enjoyed it either, a lesson in not believing the hype.

Don't blame the format!! It's just as crap on vinyl, download, street busker, you name it.

I'm buying something every week, mainly reissues or comps but I try to keep up with the new stuff too. Very pleased about the Acid Jazz reissues of Leroy Hutson albums, have done some serious digging in the Kent catalogue in the last couple of years, usually buy whatever comes out on Expansion and Soul Brother (Wants List 4 one of the best of this year), Soul on the Real Side etc., and have been pushing the financial frontiers on the house front too, bagging comps by Kay Rush, Harley & Muscle, Jazz-n-Groove, Defected, etc, as well as the new album by Brian Power.

Liking the look of that BGP Street Funk comp above ... :yes:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

As was said , I buy anything on Expansion, Ace Family (Kent, BGP, Westbound etc), Soul,Outta Sight, Dome, BBR, Harmless, Reel People/Papa, Acid Jazz and loads more.  Anyone relying on streaming services for Soul / Rhythm I& Blues / Jazz / Funk etc is missing out on a huge amount.  Ace family on its own has issued many more than 20 wonderful CDs since the one mentioned.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Don't buy anything anymore ,got tons of music on all formats , but very rarely play anything , since l moved to Spain most of my listening is on the radio or the web , so much out there to discover,  but l suppose if l was back in the UK and music shops were alive and well l would be popping in to look at the latest releases,  use to love a good  comp .   totally different world now , well it is for me my last purchase other than some vinyl  from a charity shop was about 15years ago , northern soul's classiest rarities that's the one with Chris kamara on the front cover . 👅

Social source share

Always ask for CDs at Christmas and birthdays as I can't think of anything else worth getting . Usually buy Ace/ Kent , Outtasight and other labels still putting out interesting stuff. Maybe not buying as many as fifteen to twenty years ago when the major labels were also issuing some decent stuff.

Supermarket £5 and under selections just a waste of money.

mike- got some CDs less than a month ago but more than 8 days but no category for this.

Social source share

Too much good stuff on cds for them to be ignored.  Unissued etc from the likes of Ace/Kent and other such companies.  Some quality new stuff too, I prefer hard copy if possible rather than a download or streaming. 

Edited by chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

33 minutes ago, ricspooner said:

Chuffed this week to get For Millionaires Only Vol 3 for £7.  It's on Amazon for about £152 though Manship has one for sale under £20.

But is it an "original" CD or a boot  ?

I had one that came with a PC that was a "boot"  :D

Social source share

I still buy CDs fairly often. The last two though weren’t the best. The James Hunter Six is mostly rubbish imo. I don’t mind the 60s retro sound but some of his is taking it too far back.

I’m not a big jazz fan and I can only take it in limited doses. However I bought the Colin Curtis Jazz Dance Fusion 2CD because I have a great admiration for the man. Unfortunately, I soon got bored and couldn’t make it to the end in one hit.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, Mickey Finn said:

Don't blame the format!! It's just as crap on vinyl, download, street busker, you name it.

I'm buying something every week, mainly reissues or comps but I try to keep up with the new stuff too. Very pleased about the Acid Jazz reissues of Leroy Hutson albums, have done some serious digging in the Kent catalogue in the last couple of years, usually buy whatever comes out on Expansion and Soul Brother (Wants List 4 one of the best of this year), Soul on the Real Side etc., and have been pushing the financial frontiers on the house front too, bagging comps by Kay Rush, Harley & Muscle, Jazz-n-Groove, Defected, etc, as well as the new album by Brian Power.

Liking the look of that BGP Street Funk comp above ... :yes:

Oh, I know in that case it wasn't the format that was crap!

I don't particularly like CDs though, I've been given a few that I've listened to in the car now and again. I just can't spend any money on them when there's vinyl to be bought.

Tends to be either radio 6 or records for me.

Social source share

15 hours ago, Rick Cooper said:

Always ask for CDs at Christmas and birthdays as I can't think of anything else worth getting . Usually buy Ace/ Kent , Outtasight and other labels still putting out interesting stuff. Maybe not buying as many as fifteen to twenty years ago when the major labels were also issuing some decent stuff.

Supermarket £5 and under selections just a waste of money.

mike- got some CDs less than a month ago but more than 8 days but no category for this.

thats a good point that Rick :thumbsup:

so have changed the last 7 to last 28 to sort

shouldn't make  a difference to existing results as 7 is still within 28

Social source share

Guest Dave Packham

I buy CD's as the cheapest way to expand my knowledge of music in general. Then listen to them in the car a few times before transferring them to i-tunes library. I get to hear great tracks that I was unaware of. Since Christmas I've added the following:-

Saint Etienne Present Songs For The Carnegie Deli-Ace

Northern Soul's Classiest Rarities Voumel 6-Kent

Let's Do The Boogaloo-BGP

Cool Heat: The Best of CTI Records - Robbins

Night Comes Down-Cherry Red

Myrmidons Of Melodrama-Shangri-Las

The Stylistics / 5 Classic Albums Box set-Polygram (The only way to get the first two essential albums on CD)

This Is Trojan Ska-Trojan BMG (Supermarket £5 cheap double CD. Only a few of the tracks was I aware of, the others were new to me)

Once In I-tunes library in MP3, I can transfer and play around the house by various means. I use shuffle a lot, to bring an element of surprise to the style of my listening.  

Social source share

Dave, I do the same. CD is my CD master ripped to FLAC twice and then put into my Google Play Music Cloud and on a Pioneer music player with 2 x 200GB cards inside.  I use Chromecast around the house and can play to loads of devices quickly.  It works really well and as you say, introduces that element of surprise. 

Social source share

Guest Shufflin

I've got a nice separates system and like putting on a good CD, so will keep picking them up - as others have said Ace records compilations, Expansion ones and so on. Like with LP's, sometimes you just want to relax and listen. Use streaming services too, Spotify, Mixcloud.

Vinyl remains biggest draw though, just not always in the mood to play 'em.

Should add I still use iTunes to play loads of stuff I've got stored on pc, tracks collected donkeys years ago. Still great for creating playlists/cd's etc.

Edited by Shufflin
Social source share

I struggle with CD’s. I like the concept they have giving a broader view of stuff I might not be aware of or enabling me to own rarer stuff etc. I just can’t get excited about the things in as much as I still have vinyl addiction and on top of that I can’t read many of the sleeve/booklet notes.  I have little runs of buying them then step away again. Recently bought the Mitty Collier Kent collection. 

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
22 minutes ago, PeteDillon said:

I can’t read many of the sleeve/booklet notes

it's crazy how small they are, but some of the info on them, such as on the Kent CD's, is well worth a read, if you can find a way

Social source share

• 1 month later...

I had a friend who was belligerent about liner notes and he read Mingus Black Saint and the Sinner Lady with a magnifying glass. I read them where possible.

Apart from the practicalities, the availability offered by CDs and computers renders vinyls redundant. Somebody should make empty album sleeves available; I tend to think they're all empty in HMV cos occasionally someone looks at them but nobody ever buys them. I see the supermarkets have wheeled them out for fathers day - embarrassing.

Following all the propaganda in the media, as CDs disappear they're rocketing in price and are generally more expensive than original vinyls - when such a thing exists- particularly reggae, but also Soul.

Finding a CD you've been looking for is every bit as wonderful as finding a vinyls used to be, and it happens far more often. And naff vinyls (Oasis) are every bit as naff as naff CDs. 

There  are five tracks I only have downloaded on to discs which I would rather have on something proper, even if it means spending lots of money. Can anybody help?

Stan Ivory - Come Live with Me.

Rance Allen - Where did I go wrong.

Deon Jackson - Ill always love you.

Bobby McClure You bring out the love in me.

Epicenter feat Sandra Feva - Don't come up her no more.

If not, can you get your fingers out please Croasdale, Searling, Dewhirst etc. I had all of these on vinyls - so I could see why Bobby McClure might be difficult - but it was only on my second download that I found out there's a longer version of Sandra Feva. Does this mean there was a 12 or an album? The mouth waters.

Social source share

Hi Mike ,

Last CD Bought; 22nd May 2018 "101 Northern Soul Hits " on Spectrum ,a division of Universal Music,issued 2018,. Compiled by the Numero uno Dj Ever , Ricardo Searling. Tracks include ,Brenda " Can,t hold The Feeling Back" ,"Ordinary Joe ", Sweet Thing " Georgie , Plus all the Tops ; Lollipops ,Odyssey,,Reubens,,E:V:D,s,Bro Isleys, you could ever Wish for and final Killer ,Dusties ,"Long After " ,from her 65 LP only .

And the cost of this 5 CD Extravaganza,  Five Pounds from Morrisons Gibraltar ,works out at 20.2 pence a Track ,, Fantastico !! LOL Johnny.

Social source share

On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 14:02, stevesilktulip said:

I had a friend who was belligerent about liner notes and he read Mingus Black Saint and the Sinner Lady with a magnifying glass. I read them where possible.

Apart from the practicalities, the availability offered by CDs and computers renders vinyls redundant. Somebody should make empty album sleeves available; I tend to think they're all empty in HMV cos occasionally someone looks at them but nobody ever buys them. I see the supermarkets have wheeled them out for fathers day - embarrassing.

Following all the propaganda in the media, as CDs disappear they're rocketing in price and are generally more expensive than original vinyls - when such a thing exists- particularly reggae, but also Soul.

Finding a CD you've been looking for is every bit as wonderful as finding a vinyls used to be, and it happens far more often. And naff vinyls (Oasis) are every bit as naff as naff CDs. 

There  are five tracks I only have downloaded on to discs which I would rather have on something proper, even if it means spending lots of money. Can anybody help?

Stan Ivory - Come Live with Me.

Rance Allen - Where did I go wrong.

Deon Jackson - Ill always love you.

Bobby McClure You bring out the love in me.

Epicenter feat Sandra Feva - Don't come up her no more.

If not, can you get your fingers out please Croasdale, Searling, Dewhirst etc. I had all of these on vinyls - so I could see why Bobby McClure might be difficult - but it was only on my second download that I found out there's a longer version of Sandra Feva. Does this mean there was a 12 or an album? The mouth waters.

Hi Steve

If I remember right there was a 12" of Epicenter ft. Sandra Feva.

The 45 was around 4 minutes and the 12" was a couple of minutes longer.

Arsis was original label.

£5 from Soul Bowl in 1986 as a new release so probably £100 now!!

Also check out "Here now" by her on Catawba, probably better imho.

Cheers

Dave K

Social source share

Just played in on youtube SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS and I was thinking it's a cover, it's one of those records you feel you've known all your life, but quick check and - lo and behold - it's on the album (it's Savour Faire) which you should check out. It's my age.

Love the lady. Thanks again.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!