Marvin/ not Marvin ??

25 minutes ago, the yank said:

I was told about a remix of Marvin Gaye "If This World Were Mine".

I don't think this is Marvin. 

My questions are- 1) Do you think this sounds like Marvin?

2) Do you know who this really is?

Yes and yes (track 16 https://m.mixcloud.com/andybellwood/andy-bellwoods-a-cellar-full-of-soul-on-hospedia-radio-jan-2018/

Edited by andybellwood
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest woolie mark

Doesn't sound like Marvin to me.

Apart from the fact it doesn't sound like him to me, the vocals are really bland and I don't remember him ever recording anything as wishy washy as this.

Sounds a bit like a Godley & Creme arrangement to me, not my cup of tea at all.

Social source share

4 hours ago, woolie mark said:

Doesn't sound like Marvin to me.

Apart from the fact it doesn't sound like him to me, the vocals are really bland and I don't remember him ever recording anything as wishy washy as this.

Sounds a bit like a Godley & Creme arrangement to me, not my cup of tea at all.

Spot on - it could easily be Kevin Godley.

I don't dislike it (although I don't think I could hear it more than once or twice a year before losing my patience), but I fail to see how putting Marvin's voice through some kind of wringer in order to produce this would somehow be better than simply recording it with a fresh live vocal. A grave disservice to Marvin, and to any half-decent singer who's been done out of a chance to record. Makes me wanna cry.

Justice for Kevin Godley!! :g:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Mickey Finn said:

Handbagger house - too much even for these guys:

image.png.06a6ce3689a4bc738a029f74fa48b0ee.png

I once had a brief conversation in the 1990's in a West London boozer with Pete Watermelon and a bloke who was Kylie Minogue's manager about the correct placement of bass and percussion triplets in dance music in order to make the rhythm track groove properly.

Interesting chap I thought.

Social source share

15 hours ago, geeselad said:

Don't think Marvin would give a shit personally,. But the house I danced to 25 years ago had far more bollix than this insipid, smooth fm,  fodder. Its not offensive, just bland, it's really in that, 'crazy world' groove, but it really lacks bite imho. 

Well it’s not heading anywhere near my house music top 10 but i’m Sure I’ve danced to far worse at times.

and plenty far better as well.

there are loads from that era that really haven’t stood the rest of time.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

58 minutes ago, Soulsides said:

I once had a brief conversation in the 1990's in a West London boozer with Pete Watermelon and a bloke who was Kylie Minogue's manager about the correct placement of bass and percussion triplets in dance music in order to make the rhythm track groove properly.

Interesting chap I thought.

I don't know if you meant Pete or Kylie's manager but I've a lot of time for Pete personally. Knows his stuff and how to use it. I'd like to have seen him do more on the soul front but there was clearly money to be made - important if you've got an expensive train hobby.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Mickey Finn said:

I don't know if you meant Pete or Kylie's manager but I've a lot of time for Pete personally. Knows his stuff and how to use it. 

Yeah sorry I meant Pete Waterman.

I was introduced to Pete and the manager of Kylie (whos name escapes me) by a mutual friend who worked on the Top Of The Pops telly program around the time when the Stock,Aitken & Waterman records were selling massively.

It was only a brief chat as I mentioned cause they were all on the way to some Italian restaurant in Soho..I did get invited along but I was on my way to meet a girl and couldn't cancel unfortunately.

It would have been cool to have chatted some more with him about music production as he came across as a pretty decent down to earth bloke in the admittedly short time I spent in his company.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!