YOUR AUTUMN OF TOMORROW

Roburt

16 hours ago, tomangoes said:

One other record I bought from Mary Boylan, but I never found out where it first got played was this:

Was it a TW record?

Ed

Wigan wasn't it - I  have feeling it appeared on the iconic "playing sounds like" adverts.

Edited by Rich B
Tidiness
Social source share

22 hours ago, Paul r said:

I always thought Keep On Keeping On must have stuck out at the time of first plays. Also Purple Haze!

Paul

When N.F.Porters Keep on Keeping on hit the scene it took us by storm.What a belting sound.If I remember where I first heard it was in Wakefield Tiffanys in the Bali Hai and was being played by the one and only Mr Tony Banks R.I.P. As for Purple Haze by Johnny Jones and the king Casuals well another class Northern sound.Who'd have thought that a Jimi Hendrix sound would have transgressed onto the Northern dance floors but it did obviously a bit more up tempo to savour the delights of Northern Soul dancers.

Regards Fred 

Social source share

Dave Godin was given his copy of The Crow directly by Stan Vincent as a virtual new release. In the back of my mind Dave told me he was given it personally in Stan's flat / house in New York. It did not come from Bill Downs.

Dave had had the record for several years before he started pushing it around UK / Northern clubs and writing about it in depth (in BM, B&S etc.). He believed the scene wasn't ready for it before then.

Bill Downs involvement was only via Right On several years later, although Dave and he had known one another for years. Bill Downs had strong links to Chris Bartley, and Sam Nesbit, Greg Carmichael etc. via his long standing association with Dave Kapralik (the man who made all those Okeh, Columbia, Epic 45's possible) so it's easy to assume it came from Bill, but certainly the 45 was given to Dave directly from Stan Vincent.

Sean

Social source share

1 hour ago, Sean Hampsey said:

Bill Downs involvement was only via Right On several years later, although Dave and he had known one another for years. 

Sean

Sean, if you look back at the initial post on this thread & read the Sept 70 press release I posted there, you'll see that DG was Bill Downs UK representative as early as summer 1970. A deal via Bill certainly brought Chris Bartley's Soul City tracks & the Ad-Libs Deep Soul tracks to Dave's labels and that was back in early 69.

I had dealings with Bill Downs myself in the 80's when Move Records (Edinburgh) sourced their Chris Bartley tracks via Bill. 

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

29 minutes ago, Roburt said:

Sean, if you look back at the initial post on this thread & read the Sept 70 press release I posted there, you'll see that DG was Bill Downs UK represenative as early as summer 1970. A deal via Bill certainly brought Chris Bartley's Soul City tracks & the Ad-Libs Deep Soul tracks to Dave's labels and that was back in early 69.

I had dealings with Bill Downs myself in the 80's when Move Records (Edinburgh) sourced their Chris Bartley tracks via Bill. 

Hi John, yes that's quite right.  What I was saying is Bill Downs involvement with the Crow record was only relating to Right On. The Inner Ear 45 was certainly given to Dave directly by Stan Vincent.

Social source share

A few of the names that the group who cut AUTUMN OF TOMORROW's records were put out under .... see below ...

At the time that the Right On 45 was released here, they were based out of Paris but coming across to the UK to promote their CRISPY & CO. releases ...

BY the way, other names that their releases went out under (around the world) were Krispie And Company, Les Atlantes, Mighty Disco Machine, Seven Americans In Paris, Sweet Exorcist and Wall Of Steel. In addition to all those (& the ones in the pic below), their vocals were removed from a number of tracks they'd laid down in the mid to late 70's and the lead vocals of Chantel Curtis, Brenda Mitchell, Chantal Alexandre, Chantal Sitruk & Michele added. By the way, all those singers were actually the same person.

CrowProgreshn.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

The 1st release from the outfit who became the Crow ... the Bang 45 by Soul Congress ... the other side is the favoured one (BLACK HOUSE) but it's not up on youtube ... but this side of the 45 is ... BTW, that's Bobby Boyd on sax on this one ... 

BobbyBoyd41x.jpg

SoulCongress45d.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

The group remained active for a short period after they returned to the US in 1979 ... though their PR was still emphasising the Paris connection ... 

... names to get tickets from (at the bottom of the poster) include group members Frank Abel, Arthur Young & Donny Donable ...

FrankAbelPosta9.jpg

Social source share

• 4 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!