I've found a box of Frank Wilsons...

Godzilla

Guest Shufflin

I suspect there will be some interesting fun and games with imaginative ebay sales of these over the coming years, like:

"Unlike the numerous UK presses here is an opportunity to own the US licensed test press *copy*! Mint condition!  only $1000"

Edited by Shufflin
Social source share

17 hours ago, Godzilla said:

£13 - just my usual margin and a teeny bit extra as they came from a small distributor with slightly higher shipping charges.

Have you manage to play this re-issue on a good "higher-end" phono set-up ? If yes, do you not hear too much the digital mastering process ? 

Am asking since I seriously doubt they went all the way to do a fully analog process mastering job one this unique RCA pre-release pressing.

Social source share

Guest WakefieldArchive
45 minutes ago, tlscapital said:

Have you manage to play this re-issue on a good "higher-end" phono set-up ? If yes, do you not hear too much the digital mastering process ? 

Am asking since I seriously doubt they went all the way to do a fully analog process mastering job one this unique RCA pre-release pressing.

I picked up 2 copies here in Maryland yesterday, and played it on a Technics SL-1200 with a Shure M44G cartridge, into a Pioneer pre-amp and listening through Yamaha HS-50 monitors. The RSD release appears to be a mono mix, which I was hoping for. On my system, this record does not have the overly "digital" high end, compression/limiting or other characteristics of digital mastering. I compared the RSD release to a few other genuine Soul releases from 1965/66, and the Wilson repro is definitely comparable. Not sure if it was done full analog, but in my opinion they did a good job keeping the fidelity authentic for the most part, with a clean mix that is not "too" modern. Of course, this is my subjective opinion, but is based on a lot of vinyl archiving projects I've done on the same system.
Funny, but I got to the store on RSD toward the end of the day, figuring this would be sold out, but there were 14 copies of this on the shelf. Few people around here seem to know of this record. :)

Edited by WakefieldArchive
Social source share

On 23 avril 2018 at 02:33, WakefieldArchive said:

I picked up 2 copies here in Maryland yesterday, and played it on a Technics SL-1200 with a Shure M44G cartridge, into a Pioneer pre-amp and listening through Yamaha HS-50 monitors. The RSD release appears to be a mono mix, which I was hoping for. On my system, this record does not have the overly "digital" high end, compression/limiting or other characteristics of digital mastering. I compared the RSD release to a few other genuine Soul releases from 1965/66, and the Wilson repro is definitely comparable. Not sure if it was done full analog, but in my opinion they did a good job keeping the fidelity authentic for the most part, with a clean mix that is not "too" modern. Of course, this is my subjective opinion, but is based on a lot of vinyl archiving projects I've done on the same system.
Funny, but I got to the store on RSD toward the end of the day, figuring this would be sold out, but there were 14 copies of this on the shelf. Few people around here seem to know of this record. :)

Well my ears may be over sensitive to digital but even some of the best mastering and pressing work done on 45's lately by the likes of 'Super Disco Edit' for example have at some stage digital work mastering and I hear that. This concurs for financial and commercial reasons I understand. I have inquire on this Frank Wilson with the pressing plant and hope for an honest answer ASAP. I may purchase such a copy anyway and hope not to be disappointed since the original RCA mastering of this very pre-release must be outstanding and all of the reissue to this day of this 45 sound like crap IMO.

Edited by tlscapital
Social source share

1 hour ago, tlscapital said:

Well my ears may be over sensitive to digital but even some of the best mastering and pressing work done on 45's lately by the likes of 'Super Disco Edit' for example have at some stage digital work mastering and I hear that. This concurs for financial and commercial reasons I understand. I have inquire on this Frank Wilson with the pressing plant and hope for an honest answer ASAP. I may purchase such a copy anyway and hope not to be disappointed since the original RCA mastering of this very pre-release must be outstanding and all of the reissue to this day of this 45 sound like crap IMO.

I would wager that if Jack White is involved it'll be proper analogue mastering - he's fiercely keen on authentic recording and mastering processes from what I gather. I hope so anyway.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

22 minutes ago, SoulStu said:

I would wager that if Jack White is involved it'll be proper analogue mastering - he's fiercely keen on authentic recording and mastering processes from what I gather. I hope so anyway.

From what I gather also, but I wonder if ever and so I asked. I might try to snap a copy anyway if I have some credit on my Paypal.

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
On 4/24/2018 at 10:24, tlscapital said:

the reissue to this day of this 45 sound like crap IMO

so is that your expectation for this one - given you know it was digitally re-recorded??

I was only thinking of getting one on the basis it would sound superior (more 'analog') to the UK re-issues

Social source share

6 hours ago, shufflin said:

so is that your expectation for this one - given you know it was digitally re-recorded??

I was only thinking of getting one on the basis it would sound superior (more 'analog') to the UK re-issues

Digital is that. I never will like it and that is that. Still, it could have been a drastic "improvement" to all the previous official and "nots" releases to this day that had unworthy masterings. I'd have love to own that RCA pre-release as I am sure it sounds better than the few 'ARP's' floating, to never be. So a real good full on analog job, would have come close enough in the mean time... Or/but not. I'm a lonely cowboy... Still I am going to pick up a copy to differ/confirm my like to this track.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!