Rocket allnighter 2002

Guest woolie mark

Guest woolie mark

I found this in a box the other day.  I don't know why I even went to this, I think that a mate of mine had tickets and dragged me along.  I think this is the one where IL hilariously announced before the start of his set that he was "back where he belonged" as if he was the second coming of Christ or something (there are recordings of this on various websites of you don't believe me).

Anyway, to get to the point, the main room DJs wouldn't have been any interest to me.  No offence intended to anyone, just not to my personal taste.  However, what I noticed on the ticket was the modern room DJs......what a fabulous line up.  I do faintly remember that the modern room was really excellent that night.  Has anyone else any memories to share of the Rocket allnighters?

imageedit_2_5286644801.jpg

Social source share

I went to the first one of these with a guy called Jeremy from North London who’d I met through collecting Subbuteo , long story and I won’t bore you with it , but he turned out to be a good mate of IL ‘s . 

First time I’d spoken to him since the Highand Room days and was his exuberant self .

To be fair , it was a really good night and the place wasn’t a bad venue at all with a great dance floor and quite full. Sadley numbers dropped off and the atmosphere was never quite the same . 

78F730B8-CF8B-4C64-847F-0A80588FFBB6.jpeg

Social source share

I was there that night - went with Alan (RIP) and Judi Pollard + John & Carol Vare.

Think the Jeremy you talk about is Jeremy Hanson. I met him that night for the first time. We had communicated prior to this via Levine's 'Advanced Northern Soul' chat site. Met Lee Vowles (RIP) that night as well.

First time I heard ' Run, run, run'  - I currently own Ian Levine's copy he played that night.

Not got my ticket!

Edited by JulianB
Social source share

11 minutes ago, chalky said:

Went to them all with Andy Dyson.

Any chance of some scand of the flyers tickets etc for a project I’m doing, 300dpi 🤗 Full credit given of course 

Hi Chalky

PM me your email address. I have a 'flyer' and a couple of news sheets I can send you.

Hope you're well.

Julian

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 minutes ago, chalky said:

Any chance of some scand of the flyers tickets etc for a project I’m doing, 300dpi 🤗 Full credit given of course 

Chalky

I cant do the scans but i have two Rocket/ Metrpolitan Soul flyers from Jan 2002 and Feb 2003.If they are any interest to you pm me your address and ill post them

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Went to the first one and thought it was a superb night which looked set to become a fixture on the calendar - top room with a huge dancefloor

IMO IL was playing a really interesting set at that time - some white pop in the mix for sure (Magnificent Men, Linda Lloyd, Venicia Wilson, David Huff, etc) but hey isn't that northern soul? He always created a great atmosphere and I used to love to see him DJ - Manchester Ritz etc as well.

Remember him playing some nice 70's in a smaller room downstairs later on in the night at The Rocket

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I went to the first one too - mainly for the modern room. Started off superbly by Steve Cole and it was buzzing until about 2am. Ian L then did a 90-120 minute slot sitting behind the decks playing his favourite stuff at the time. Unfortunately it killed the floor and didn't recover. I then spent the rest of the time in the northern room, which was good, but had also thinned out considerably by then.

Social source share

Guest woolie mark
On 4/19/2018 at 09:16, chalky said:

You are welcome to have the ticket I found, PM me an address to send it to.

Do you want any tickets, flyers, etc for those days or just the Rocket?

Social source share

On 19/04/2018 at 08:57, JulianB said:

First time I heard ' Run, run, run'  - I currently own Ian Levine's copy he played that night.

Not got my ticket!

Hi Julian, you must have just beaten me to "Run run run". When I went round (one of the first) I found it on the shelf. My heart sank immediately though as it was a carver with a stuck on label!! I asked him where the OV copy was and he said he'd sold it to Tim Brown. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!