Morning Rant - Record delivered or not as the case may be

Posted

Let me explain :g:

I order my soul record from TOLEDO OH in the USA Via eBay

Record: $45.95

Shipping And Handling:$24.50

Total $74.45

Fine so far, no problem.

Then i get a card from my my Post Lady saying if i want my parcel there is a charge and i will have to go to the main Royal Mail Depot as she is not allowed to carry money, or if i don't wish to pay it then they retain the parcel. You Still withMe?

The Charge for this is £16.82p

So, i go and pick parcel up and pays my dues, the Cheery Chappy tells me it's customs fees i have to pay or you can't have the parcel :(

when i get parcel home i read the CHARGE sticker which states.

IMPORT DUTY £0.00

EXCISE DUTY £0.00

VAT £8.82

Other £0.0

Royal mail international Handling Fee £8.00

So that i how the charge came to being.

This is only about the 3rd or 4th time i have paid a charge but it goes against the grain when you have paid to have a parcel DELIVERED to your Address and you have to get in your car and collect it yourself and then pay EXTRA for the privilege, I was Bloody Racked off,I know a fair few people on here have had the same experience as me and maybe you think it is fine or maybe not as the case may be but it still doesn't get away from the fact we pay postage and packing fees to have an itemn delivered not to have to collect it yourselfe and extra cost thrown in for good measure :( OK, Rant over, But what are your thoughts.    

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
7 minutes ago, RICK SCOTT said:

Total $74.45

Fine so far, no problem.

Then i get a card from my my Post Lady saying if i want my parcel there is a charge and i will have to go to the main Royal Mail Depot as she is not allowed to carry money, or if i don't wish to pay it then they retain the parcel. You Still withMe?

So, i go and pick parcel up and pays my dues, the Cheery Chappy tells me it's customs fees i have to pay or you can't have the parcel :(

IMPORT DUTY £0.00

EXCISE DUTY £0.00

VAT £8.82

Other £0.0

This is only about the 3rd or 4th time i have paid a charge but it goes against the grain when you have paid to have a parcel DELIVERED to your Address and you have to get in your car and collect it yourself and then pay EXTRA for the privilege, I was Bloody Racked off,I know a fair few people on here have had the same experience as me and maybe you think it is fine or maybe not as the case may be but it still doesn't get away from the fact we pay postage and packing fees to have an itemn delivered not to have to collect it yourselfe and extra cost thrown in for good measure :( OK, Rant over, But what are your thoughts.    

So taking the exchange rate into consideration, you paid a total of £70 including the VAT and what Royal Mail have charged you.  Is it still a good price overall?

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Those are the rules. The cost involves all monetory cost plus other such as time, travel. It's all laid down in black and white.  I don't see how you can enter into it knowingly and then complain after.

The only issue is whether the seller would (or refused) to post it as a gift. If he had it would have been delivered without any problem. Gift up to $55.00 at current exchange rate (£39.00). 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I Take on board all the above and have no problem paying for charges that have to be paid, It is all the running about you have to do to get what is supposed to be delivered to your door that was my main gripe, the record wasn't a big ticket record, just one that is hard to track down, 

the way it works does not seem to be consistent either, you can go years and not get a charge (which is nice) then you get 2 or 3 on the trot where you are Charged ?

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
Just now, RICK SCOTT said:

I Take on board all the above and have no problem paying for charges that have to be paid, It is all the running about you have to do to get what is supposed to be delivered to your door that was my main gripe, the record wasn't a big ticket record, just one that is hard to track down, 

the way it works does not seem to be consistent either, you can go years and not get a charge (which is nice) then you get 2 or 3 on the trot where you are Charged ?

It seems to me it would be petty minded for a seller not to label it as a gift.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

So taking the exchange rate into consideration, you paid a total of £70 including the VAT and what Royal Mail have charged you.  Is it still a good price overall?

in the scheme of things yes as there were 2 copies of record available in france £112 and £121 p&p Extra so yes no complaint there as i paid considerably less for my record which was in better condition.

Edited by RICK SCOTT

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Like i said, main gripe was i have to do the chasing about to be able to have my parcel and the funny thing is the message on the slip stuck on the back of the package states, THIS PACKAGE CAN NOT BE DELIVERED UNTIL THE CHARGES ARE PAID, Which is a joke because YOU have to go to THEM to Pay For And Collect so your package is NOT delivered to you, :rofl: 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I have no idea how they apply the "rules".

On Monday I got 49 albums and 19 45s which cost $151.20 from NJ. 

No idea what value mate declared. Imagine $40 or so.

No charges at all.

Never had charges on similar packages he's sent either.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

It's been a few months since I had one of these but, from memory, I think there may have been the option to pay "on-line" or attach stamps to the value of the charge to the card and post it off. They will then deliver the item. 

I usually go and fetch the record from the main office as you did, just to get it a bit quicker and avoid any further complications.

I may have imagined all of the above, so apologies in advance if that's the case!!:huh: 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, RICK SCOTT said:

Total $74.45

Fine so far, no problem.

IMPORT DUTY £0.00

EXCISE DUTY £0.00

VAT £8.82

Other £0.0

Whether it was declared as a gift or not, for that value you weren't going to get an Import Duty charge but were definitely getting VAT. When items requiring charges come in Royal Mail pay the import VAT and the extra £8 is the cost for them to get it through customs and border clearance. I've challenged it before with RM but they just respond that "that's the law and that's what we are told to charge" and that came from a mate who was the sorting office manager :lol:

Last week I wanted to buy two records from the same seller on Ebay. He gave me the costs payable via the Ebay Global Shipping program, now they were a complete rip off as they included VAT and import Duty when the total price would not incur import duties. I asked the seller to either send outside the Ebay GSP or declare as a gift. He refused so I refused to buy. For some, that's the only way they will get the message, but fortunately most will declare a value at $10 and as a gift.

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
On 19/04/2018 at 12:51, bo diddley said:

It's been a few months since I had one of these but, from memory, I think there may have been the option to pay "on-line" or attach stamps to the value of the charge to the card and post it off. They will then deliver the item. 

I usually go and fetch the record from the main office as you did, just to get it a bit quicker and avoid any further complications.

I may have imagined all of the above, so apologies in advance if that's the case!!:huh: 

You are correct, my son collects rare console games and often get them from Japan. He pays any customs charges on-line and also makes use of the option of giving them a preferred delivery date.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
On 19/04/2018 at 11:34, RICK SCOTT said:

Like i said, main gripe was i have to do the chasing about to be able to have my parcel and the funny thing is the message on the slip stuck on the back of the package states, THIS PACKAGE CAN NOT BE DELIVERED UNTIL THE CHARGES ARE PAID, Which is a joke because YOU have to go to THEM to Pay For And Collect so your package is NOT delivered to you, :rofl: 

Similar thing happened to me.  Paid extra £5.50 for next day a.m  delivery . 3pm never arrived so phoned carriers to be told item was at the depot but the driver had finished work for the day and if i wanted my package.  I would have to go and pick it up or wait until the following day which wasnt a option. Ended up driving into and out of Manchester during the rush hour.  Not happy.    Complained to shop who profusely apologised , refunded my postage costs and terminated courier service contact after numerous complaints.  

Ste

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Just bought a $35 tune. Buyer uses ebay shipping which automatically adds import taxes, even though the purchase price is less than the import limit into the UK.

Any idea how I can get the import costs refunded?

TIA

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Royal Mail "lost" one of mine recently - they tried to deliver it, so they had it, I was out, tried getting it re-delivered - never arrived, went to the local office, they searched for it, no sign of it but promised to get back to me. Never did. Waited another week. Raised a phone complaint, nice chap, advised me to go the office in person, which I did (again), no joy.  Local office called me a few days later, said it was probably re-delivered to the wrong area or something - advised to raise a claim. 

As Rick said, it's the buggeration factor that is most annoying

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
On 19/04/2018 at 11:34, RICK SCOTT said:

I recently got a silver card through my letterbox for the same type of thing - they do give you the option of paying online and then arrange delivery to your door. I was too impatient to do so. It was a nice day and the walk did me good!

Edited by sweeney

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Sorry to be rude but I'm actualy quite surprised at how obviously completley clueless some people are in regards to buying from overseas. It's not that difficult to work out and if your item is over the relevant limit then it will not be delivered to your door. Surely you know this before you buy it? 

Why would you buy a record from the States and pay for charges that don't apply for it? At the point of purchase?   :thumbup:

Why would you buy anthing from anyone that's got a system rigged up that makes you pay charges  that don't apply. - and then pay it? And then complain? :huh:

why would you buy not knowing the correct limits for your particlular purchase? :(

why woud you buy anything of anyone who is deliberatly and needlessly making it as difficult as he/she can for you as a buyer? :pirate:

Are these the same people who complain or refuse ot buy on a point of principle  if they have to pay  50 pence over for UK post and packing? :g:

I'm  genuinely curious.

Edited by maslar
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
On 23/04/2018 at 19:17, shufflin said:

Royal Mail "lost" one of mine recently - they tried to deliver it, so they had it, I was out, tried getting it re-delivered - never arrived, went to the local office, they searched for it, no sign of it but promised to get back to me. Never did. Waited another week. Raised a phone complaint, nice chap, advised me to go the office in person, which I did (again), no joy.  Local office called me a few days later, said it was probably re-delivered to the wrong area or something - advised to raise a claim. 

As Rick said, it's the buggeration factor that is most annoying

Why would you wait for a week? It's been nicked if its not at the depot. They know that.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
18 minutes ago, maslar said:

Why would you wait for a week? It's been nicked if its not at the depot. They know that.

lesson learned

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
On 19/04/2018 at 10:39, Rick Scott said:

Total $74.45

Fine so far, no problem.

IMPORT DUTY £0.00

EXCISE DUTY £0.00

VAT £8.82

Other £0.0

Just had this happen to me Rick, I had a LP arrive from the States with only a value of $20 on the package, but I still had to hand over £13.94  at my local Post Sorting Office having had the dreaded silver card posted :pirate: VAT £5.94 plus Royal Mail international handling fee £8.00 it's almost getting to the point of having to pay a pound for every dollar spent on an item once Mr Postman gets his hands on it! 

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

this has happened to me more than I like this year, my postie told me it's random but I do wonder if we are on some kind of US soul record buyer customs list :-)

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

As the old saying goes “Only things definite in life are death & taxes” ☹️

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Today 26 albums and 21 45s.

No charges.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. Rant Time
    Look At Your Box by Ernie Andrews on Mon 02 Sep 2013
    • 59 / 4261
    • CapitolSC on 05 Sep 2013
  2. Original Mastercuts Show Rant
    All About the SOUL by urrrs on Mon 24 Mar 2008
    • 8 / 954
    • Steve G on 25 Mar 2008
  3. Another E-Bay Rant
    All About the SOUL by Garswood on Thu 31 Mar 2011
    • 12 / 1089
    • jez jones on 31 Mar 2011
  4. Having A Rant
    All About the SOUL by Ronjon on Mon 10 Mar 2014
    • 15 / 1533
    • spacehopper on 14 Mar 2014
  5. PAYPAL RANT...Vagabonds and thieves if you let em
    Freebasing by Gasher on Tue 08 Oct 2019
    • 4 / 411
    • Blackpoolsoul on 08 Oct 2019
  6. Harlem Globetrotters "good Morning Morning" (popcorn)
    Record Sales by Guest on Wed 20 Dec 2006
    • 6 / 553
    • Guest on 14 Jan 2007

Source Adverts

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.