Sunday Mag article on Stafford TOTW

Am trying to source a copy of the Sunday magazine supplement from the eighties that did the feauture on Stafford 

Chalky has kindly sent me the images from it but neither of us can remember the supplement , Times , Guardian , etc , month , year , etc ..... 

Any body remember it ? Or more importantly got the mag ? 

9AD0BB43-8979-45C7-B6FC-AD62F968A26C.jpeg

D8FAB6B7-6929-4824-B70B-35E5E102B2C4.jpeg

D6BFFFC6-2FC6-4514-A9CC-413078AD2B68.jpeg

77CCCF4E-ED96-4A84-A132-69C6B1A2A8FA.jpeg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Are you 100% certain it’s the Sunday Times? I read the Sunday Times and don’t recall the article. Certainly looks like a national Sunday supplement but could it be the Express, Telegraph or Observer? Could be 1984 looking at the car number plate or 1986 if you count seven years beyond 1979. If you knew when Brian Rea started DJing, you could pin it down exactly: the reference to Brian suggests it’s later than August that year.  Maybe October to December 1986 if that helps?

Social source share

7 minutes ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Are you 100% certain it’s the Sunday Times? I read the Sunday Times and don’t recall the article. Certainly looks like a national Sunday supplement but could it be the Express, Telegraph or Observer? Could be 1984 looking at the car number plate or 1986 if you count seven years beyond 1979. If you knew when Brian Rea started DJing, you could pin it down exactly: the reference to Brian suggests it’s later than August that year.  Maybe October to December 1986 if that helps?

I think it is the Observer but can't remember 100%, definitely a Sunday magazine article.  I scanned the article, the scans above are those I did.  I was given the whole magazine to scan them but had to give it back.  I didn't make note of the dates or the paper unfortunately.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

12 minutes ago, neiljon31 said:

Mmmm I’m pretty confident on it being The Sunday Times but it’s a good while ago. I’d say it’s 1982 or early 83.

I’ ll see if I can dig out the clippings for any further clues………

It’s late 83 and later as Guy and Keb weren’t doing Stafford prior to then. Guy’s first set August of that year. 

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Been through a bag of the past and found the clipping. The only clue is what I guess is the expiry date in bottom corner of the coupon on the reverse side- hopefully see pic. Not definitive but suggests 1984 ?

Also came across some more flyers : soon  as I can get my scanner going again I’ll get some to you Chalky for your collection / research. Couple I’d forgotten about including one for Modern Soul ‘nite’ at The Phoenix, Cavendish Sq London which was discussed on here recently I think.

Plus , Leith all nighter 1988 which if I remember rightly was shut down during the night by the local Police. 

366CCA28-26E4-473C-B8C5-580BDA5D2FBF.jpeg

Social source share

12 minutes ago, neiljon31 said:

Been through a bag of the past and found the clipping. The only clue is what I guess is the expiry date in bottom corner of the coupon on the reverse side- hopefully see pic. Not definitive but suggests 1984 ?

Also came across some more flyers : soon  as I can get my scanner going again I’ll get some to you Chalky for your collection / research. Couple I’d forgotten about including one for Modern Soul ‘nite’ at The Phoenix, Cavendish Sq London which was discussed on here recently I think.

Plus , Leith all nighter 1988 which if I remember rightly was shut down during the night by the local Police. 

Nice one pal, appreciated.  Not sure I travelled to the Leith nighter?

Social source share

Guest MBarrett
15 minutes ago, neiljon31 said:

OB 11/11/84

I'm not sure that is an expiry date as it is just an enquiry coupon.

11th November 1984 was a a Sunday. So maybe it means it was the OBserver magazine for 11th November 1984.

Food for thought anyway! :)

Social source share

1 minute ago, MBarrett said:

OB 11/11/84

I'm not sure that is an expiry date as it is just an enquiry coupon.

11th November 1984 was a a Sunday. So maybe it means it was the OBserver magazine for 11th November 1984.

Food for thought anyway! :)

Good point : I reckon you’ve cracked it there. 

Social source share

• 2 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!