Sweet & Innocent: cry love * original vs reissue *

Csta

Easiest way is to check the smallest fonts, the producer credits. If they are very crisp and thin it's the reissue.

Pic here showing the original:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Sweet-Innocent-and-The-Memphis-Mustangs-Cry-Love/release/10432657

This is a reissue (their other 45 here but you can spot the difference, was made at the same time as the "Cry love" reissue):

https://www.discogs.com/Sweet-Innocent-and-The-Memphis-Mustangs-Memphis-Mustangs-Express-Your-Love/release/4579306

Social source share

On 21 avril 2018 at 21:46, KarlM said:

Easiest way is to check the smallest fonts, the producer credits. If they are very crisp and thin it's the reissue.

Pic here showing the original:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Sweet-Innocent-and-The-Memphis-Mustangs-Cry-Love/release/10432657

This is a reissue (their other 45 here but you can spot the difference, was made at the same time as the "Cry love" reissue):

https://www.discogs.com/Sweet-Innocent-and-The-Memphis-Mustangs-Memphis-Mustangs-Express-Your-Love/release/4579306

Are you sure of that ? This would mean that there is only one 45 on Active made in the 7T's (cry love) and the 3 other releases on Active are reissues. 

Social source share

2 minutes ago, tlscapital said:

matrix of the reissue is :ar 51006a-2, where on the original it reads : 1-1572

visually very much alike...

LEFT reissue RIGHT original

2070586302_Capturedcran2018-04-2718_08_27.thumb.png.001c91689889f8ccda5c1eda7451e5e5.png

Both of these are the originals... Compare the smallest text to the one I posted earlier. Much thinner and crisper on the reissue, you can clearly see it's laser printed.

Social source share

2 minutes ago, KarlM said:

Both of these are the originals... Compare the smallest text to the one I posted earlier. Much thinner and crisper on the reissue, you can clearly see it's laser printed.

No-no-no, the left one is the official reissue that came with the nice picture sleeve. It's a friend that just did me this scan... What scan posted earlier ?

Social source share

Just now, tlscapital said:

No-no-no, the left one is the official reissue that came with the nice picture sleeve. It's a friend that just did me this scan... What scan posted earlier ?

The other title but "Cry love" looks the same.

R-4579306-1397398845-1524.jpeg.jpg

Social source share

5 hours ago, tlscapital said:

matrix of the reissue is :ar 51006a-2, where on the original it reads : 1-1572

visually very much alike...

LEFT reissue RIGHT original

As for runout grooves, A-side of mine has "A-2001" and "10698" and B-side has "A. 2002" (dot is higher up) and "10699". This copy was found before 2006 (and in the Memphis area) and should deffo be an original.

Social source share

2 hours ago, KarlM said:

As for runout grooves, A-side of mine has "A-2001" and "10698" and B-side has "A. 2002" (dot is higher up) and "10699". This copy was found before 2006 (and in the Memphis area) and should deffo be an original.

OK, but could you provide us with a scan of the label ?

Social source share

2 minutes ago, KarlM said:

IMG_4637.jpg

OK, so this is exactly the same fonts used as the reissue which is only a replica of the original. By the label there is no evident way to tell them appart. That established, the original poster wanted to know how to tell them appart.

That can be done by checking the matrix. My friend who provided the scan and matrix of his reissue don't owe the original and likely got mislead by providing the catalogue number likely sourced from the sometime misinformed tinternet.

So to make things definitive, the matrix of the reissue reads : "ar 51006a-2" and the original is "A-2001" and "10698".

Social source share

Another way to tell Besides from the dead on matrix numbers, is The Color of the "ACTIVE" LOGO Black and Orange Letters would most likely be an ORIGINAL Copy!... Opposed to the Black and Red letters Used in the Re-issue Press.. I've had Both ORIGINAL and Re-issue and to me that's what i Noticed in person  at 1st Look... IMO hope that helps a lil:hypo:

Social source share

5 minutes ago, purist said:

Is it just me that prefers this side - ?

Nope ! Me also. Even if I prefer 'express your love' if we're talking of that 'island sound'. As for the 'cry love' 45 I also favor 'I don't know what you're full of' side. Messy-funky-jerky-teeny imperfection, barely bearable but so full of intensity... I loved it instantly !

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!