The Belgium Popcorn Oldies Top 100 for 2018

Guest Mr Jay Cee Corp

Guest Mr Jay Cee Corp

The Popcorn Corner TOP-100 2018 is coming.
And you can help putting it together.
Make a list of your favorite Belgium Popcorn Oldies through the years.
And we will do the all the compiling.
This is how it works.
Make a list of your favorite Popcornoldies with your own nr. 1 on top
Send your list to gerardmidvliet@gmail.com with the subject Popcorn Oldies Top 100
Send in before Sunday 13 May at 24:00. cet time scedule.
One list only may be submitted per email address.
The points count is as follows:
12 points for the number 1 on a list
10 points for the number 2
8 points for the number 3
and then further 7,6,5,4,3,2,1 for the numbers 4,5,6,7,8,9,10
If your list is longer than 10 numbers, the number 11 and further each get 1 point.
You will receive a mail replay once your points have been processed.
All points of all lists are added and the final one follows on
the Popcorn Oldies Top-100 2018 list.
We will broadcast the Top 100 on: www.midvliet.nl
Sunday, May 20, 2018 from 14:00 to 20:00. cet time scedule.
Midvliet FM 107.2 and 107.9 and on Ziggo Digital radio channel 916 in the Hague region.
To the rest of the world via / in Cooperation with
www.radiobenelux.be
www.popcorncityradio.be
vrocketvtone.wixsite.com/vrocketradio
!!! Thanks for the Publication !!!
www.popcornoldies.com and www.popcornoldies.be

Banner Midvliet Top 100 English.JPG

Social source share

I will politely decline to enter a list as I have never attended any events in the Benelux outside a brief visit to the bikini bar in Rotterdam about 15 years ago, and I also don't know what defines popcorn music. Is it another twist on up front?

Good luck with the survey.

Ed

Social source share

5 hours ago, tomangoes said:

I will politely decline to enter a list as I have never attended any events in the Benelux outside a brief visit to the bikini bar in Rotterdam about 15 years ago, and I also don't know what defines popcorn music. Is it another twist on up front?

Good luck with the survey.

Ed

Social source share

Guest Shufflin

Sam Fletcher’s ‘I’d Think it Over’  & Johnny Maestro’s ‘I’m Stepping Out of The Picture’ - first played on the popcorn scene in Belgium

lots of northern stuff got played on the popcorn scene apparently, the Traits, High Keys, Shep, Buster & Eddie to name a few

Social source share

1 hour ago, shufflin said:

Sam Fletcher’s ‘I’d Think it Over’  & Johnny Maestro’s ‘I’m Stepping Out of The Picture’ - first played on the popcorn scene in Belgium

lots of northern stuff got played on the popcorn scene apparently, the Traits, High Keys, Shep, Buster & Eddie to name a few

Speeded up? Or 'as is'?

Has it always been mainly couples dancing as opposed to singles?

Is there a separate Northern scene in Belgium or is it all merged with popcorn.

Maybe Hercule Poirot can find out:)

Social source share

4 minutes ago, tomangoes said:

Speeded up? Or 'as is'?

Has it always been mainly couples dancing as opposed to singles?

Is there a separate Northern scene in Belgium or is it all merged with popcorn.

Maybe Hercule Poirot can find out:)

The speed of the track is down to the DJ, but the point of Popcorn is to have tracks at roughly the same slowish/mid-tempo so that couples can dance to them in their relaxed "jive" style.

There is a separate Northern Soul scene in Belgium, which seems to range from classics to modern soul. Leuven has a great night, but sadly that's just twice a year.

@tlscapital might be willing to throw some more light on the subject of the soul scene in Belgium...

Social source share

Guest Shufflin

back in late nineties (?) there were some Belgian northern soul cd's released,  got featured on the RS Jazz fm show, where popcorn as a scene was discussed, think one  or two of the guys from Beatin' Rhythm were guests (?), CD was called Stomptown and is really good, lots of my favourite tracks on it

Social source share

13 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Russell.  Thanks for the enlightenment on what's classed as popcorn. Who decides what it is ? I would class the above as northern soul. Or am i missing something. 

Steve 

I wouldn't worry about labels - they can be so terribly artificial. After all, when Sam Fletcher went into the recording studio he didn't go there with the intention of creating a Northern Soul or a Popcorn tune! While my three selections fit firmly into what might be classed as Northern Soul, Popcorn embraces just about anything that can be played - whether sped up or slowed down - with the desired tempo. That includes jazz grooves, exotica, and just about anything else you can think of.

And if you can dance to it in the Popcorn style, then it's Popcorn! It's as simple as that. :thumbsup:

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Russell Gilbert said:

I wouldn't worry about labels - they can be so terribly artificial. After all, when Sam Fletcher went into the recording studio he didn't go there with the intention of creating a Northern Soul or a Popcorn tune! While my three selections fit firmly into what might be classed as Northern Soul, Popcorn embraces just about anything that can be played - whether sped up or slowed down - with the desired tempo. That includes jazz grooves, exotica, and just about anything else you can think of.

And if you can dance to it in the Popcorn style, then it's Popcorn! It's as simple as that. :thumbsup:

Thanks Russell.  I've also just learnt  something else reading your reply.  Popcorn style dance . Another new one on me. 

Steve 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Most of the sounds in the Popcorn genre have what I would call a gentle swing beat.

Which as said above goes with the specific dance style.

I wondered a while back if anyone has ever tried to put on a popcorn event in the UK. Or even just a Popcorn set as part of a bigger event.

Interesting to know how it would go down.

Social source share

9 minutes ago, MBarrett said:

Most of the sounds in the Popcorn genre have what I would call a gentle swing beat.

Which as said above goes with the specific dance style.

I wondered a while back if anyone has ever tried to put on a popcorn event in the UK. Or even just a Popcorn set as part of a bigger event.

Interesting to know how it would go down.

Mark. I vaguely remember Mace running a R n B / popcorn night . I think at Bidds in Stoke on Trent 

Steve 

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Obviously a very different "groove" to the NS and Popcorn scenes.

But this video highlights some interesting parallels.

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Seems to me a very diverse open minded scene full of music lovers , RING any bells?.🎶🎶🎭

Edited by Spain pete
Social source share

Of those I own, my top 5

Jay Traynor - Up and over - ABC

Jamie Coe - Cleopatra - Big Top

Bobbie Smith - Walk on into my heart - American Arts

Barbara Dane - I'm on my way - Trey

Dick Jordan - I want her back - Jamie

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I've loved Popcorn since I first became aware of it mostly at first down to the Northern Soul side of things they play but as has been said it is an all encompassing scene and definitely won't be to everyone's taste on here. I listened to countless playlists on You tube over the years and you have to dig deep to uncover the less obvious tunes that appeal to a more Northern ear. As an example of the slowing down of a tune I'm of an age I remember the singer Anne Shelton, quite a large lady with blonde hair, one of her tunes came up on a playlist and I thought that doesn't sound like the Anne Shelton I remember,  I looked for another version and sure enough the playlist one was slowed down to fit the required tempo. I'm not posting it because I think it's a good tune it's just an example for those who are wondering what they are trying to achieve though on this one they are both on shown as popcorn so maybe it isn't always slowed down. 

If any of you guys are tempted to check out some Popcorn for the first time don't be put off there will most likely be 95% that you think is terrible, with a lot of patience and button pressing there are some fabulous tunes to be found. 

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Obviously the slight swing to the beat is essential.

But I wonder what are the minimum and maximum bpm for a tune to be acceptable as Popcorn

My guess is it's somewhere around 115-120 bpm. But I could be way off. :)

Social source share

(Quote from Wikipedia) 

Popcorn (sometimes Belgian popcorn or oldies popcorn) is a style of music and dancing first established in Belgium in the 1970s and 1980s. The style includes a wide variety of mostly American and British recordings of R&B and pop music made between the late 1950s and mid 1960s, often relatively obscure, and characterised by a slow or medium, rather than fast, tempo. The style has been described by musician and writer Bob Stanley as "possibly the last truly underground music scene in Europe".

27 minutes ago, MBarrett said:

wonder what are the minimum and maximum bpm for a tune to be acceptable as Popcorn

My guess is it's somewhere around 115-120 bpm. But I could be way off. :)

Also, according to Bob Stanley,

"the purity of Belgian Popcorn is its very impurity. R&B, Broadway numbers, tangos, Phil Spector-esque girl groups and loungey instrumentals, they are all constituent parts of a rare, and still largely undiscovered scene". Examples of highly prized popcorn records include "Sweetheart" by Peggy Lee, "Image" by Hank Levine,"Now I Lay Me Down to Weep" by Simone Dina, "The Tingle" by Jackie Weaver, "Who's Got the Action" by Phil Colbert,"Heartless Lover" by Dick Baker, "La Tanya" by Jay Abbott, "Carmelita" by Jeff Lane, "I'm Crying in the Rain" by Major Lance, "You Beat Me to the Punch" by Mary Wells,"Comin' Home Baby" by Mel Tormé, and "Twine Time" by Alvin Cash.

Edited by Soulsides
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Mr Jay Cee Corp

Hello Music Lovers all around the Globe.

Thanks for all your intrest in " Belgium Popcorn Oldies " in general !

I once had a respected Big Northern Soul Collector over from the UK.
He found a lot of what we called " Crossover "  records in my collection.

( Records that could be played on either a Northern Soul Party or a Belgium Popcorn Event )

Depending on the speed we adjusted the pitch on the Turntables :-)

Some more info on : https://raresoulmusic.weebly.com/the-history-of-pop-corn.html

That is my question to all folks here on the Soul Forum :

What Records do you think has that midtempo beat and could add to the Top 100 beying made for 2018 ?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Have a nice weekend.

Grtz

Mr Jay Cee Corp!
www.clubcliche.com

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Mr Jay Cee Corp

Hi to All in the Soul World!

Thanks for all your contributions on Popcorn Oldies.

We were able to compile a Great Top 100 with the Belgium Popcorn Oldies for 2018.
This new listing honours the new finds into the library, we call Popcorn Oldies.

Have a peek at : https://www.midvliet.nl/index.php/radio/programma-s/popcorn-corner/popcorn-corner-info

For all the Artist and Tittle information.

There is also a live internet stream available during the transmission.

Greetings

Mr Jay Cee Corp!
www.clubcliche.com

Social source share

36 minutes ago, Mr Jay Cee Corp said:

Hi to All in the Soul World!

Thanks for all your contributions on Popcorn Oldies.

We were able to compile a Great Top 100 with the Belgium Popcorn Oldies for 2018.
This new listing honours the new finds into the library, we call Popcorn Oldies.

Have a peek at : https://www.midvliet.nl/index.php/radio/programma-s/popcorn-corner/popcorn-corner-info

For all the Artist and Tittle information.

There is also a live internet stream available during the transmission.

Greetings

Mr Jay Cee Corp!
www.clubcliche.com

Great list. And lots of tracks in there that are or have been very popular on the Northern Soul scene. It just goes to remind us that one man's Popcorn can be another man's Northern, and vice versa. :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest MBarrett
On 27/04/2018 at 00:15, Mr Jay Cee Corp said:

Thanks for all your intrest in " Belgium Popcorn Oldies " in general !

I really do like a lot of these "Popcorn" records.

Have any Merseybeat tracks inc. early Beatles been played on the Popcorn scene.

There seems to be a few tracks there that fit the Popcorn vibe. Or maybe not! :)

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

Guest themroc

And this i swear te god is the epitome of popcorn on a 4 track French 45. Hands down I win 😊

Edited by themroc
Social source share

Guest themroc
2 minutes ago, RC166 said:

Nice version,

I was only aware of this one

wjwp1.jpg

wjwp2.jpg

Brother grab a copy quick on Disgoggles for under a Jack's. Have a sumptuous weekend😀

Social source share

Guest themroc
9 minutes ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Nice cover of the Nancy Holloway track from 2012 by Little Clara...

MY DAYS, WOW!!!! 

Social source share

Guest Mr Jay Cee Corp

Hi Russel Gilbert.

Thanks for your posting that track.
I would try pitching it down minus 4 or so on a pitched controlled turntable.

That's the diificulty with pitching, Some tracks loose there athmosphere too much when

slowed down or pitched up,? 

See if the track still has the right feel to it when slowed down?

On a Acetate!?!  Real rare item then!😎

For some more intresting articles on Popcorn Oldies in General, one collector has send me a link to

https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/feb/05/belgium-popcorn-underground-music-scene-europe-northern-soul

Answer to @temroc
Yep these kind of tracks were played in the early years of the popcorn scene when the library wasn't as big as it is

nowadays.

You found a real gemm there 😀

Answer to MBarrett.

There are a lot of cover versions of Beatles songs played in the Popcorn Scene like Roy Hamilton - And I Love Her
or Sarah Vaughan - Yesterday or Little Esther Philips - And i Love Him.

Most own Mersey beat tracks are to fierce by them selves or you should look for the cover tracks by the Beat generation

bands like Wayne Fontana and The Mindbenders - Um Um Um Um Um and many others

Have a Soulfull week you all.

Grtz Mr Jay Cee Corp!

Social source share

Guest MBarrett
11 hours ago, Mr Jay Cee Corp said:

Answer to MBarrett.

There are a lot of cover versions of Beatles songs played in the Popcorn Scene like Roy Hamilton - And I Love Her
or Sarah Vaughan - Yesterday or Little Esther Philips - And i Love Him.

Yes that's exactly one of the tracks I was thinking about.

I was listening to the Beatles version the other day and I thought "That sounds like a nice Popcorn beat"  - although I know very little about the Popcorn scene.

Thanks

:)

Social source share

Guest themroc
On 23/05/2018 at 05:07, RC166 said:

Great choice

epailh.jpg

The Beatles had their own TV Show and introduced Esther as the person who had done the best version of their own song. 

Social source share

Guest themroc

Woow WowNnnn wow we wow wow!! Had a love affair with this woman since I was 19 years old. Does it qualify? 

Social source share

Guest themroc
On 23/05/2018 at 05:07, RC166 said:

Great choice

epailh.jpg

The Beatles had their own TV Show and introduced Esther as the person who had done the best version of their own song. 

Don't know what's happening here so just have to leave this quote on but heres my contribution Anyhoo. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!