News: Eccentric Soul - The Saru Label - Numero Group NUM071

Mike

Did Lou Ragland have some input with regard to this Numero release ??

He has in the past with Numero's other Cleveland soul releases. PLUS Saru had two entirely separate phases, the O'Jays ran one of these but Lou himself was the main man at the label for the other period (the Out Of Sights stuff). As with other Cleveland soul labels, they cut lots more than ever escaped on vinyl, I'll have to check if that's the case here. 

Social source share

Hi Cleveland Smith, Ragland's name isn't in the sleeve notes acknowledgements. There is a deal of information on the Out of Sights whose picture is featured on the front. They cut just the four records , eight sides in all of which seven are on this compilation.  Ragland was the arranger with Calvin Brown on official producer duties . I think Ragland did a pretty good job with the Out of Sights,  especially on 'I Was Wrong'  (Saru 1616), (Saru 1618). All their recorded material dates from early 1970. Unfortunately two members of the group were drafted that year and the group temporarily disbanded. The world is still waiting for the reunion.

The group who recorded consisted of the following: Michael Booth (high tenor), Stan Reeves, Gregory Still, Kenny Brewer , John Wilson , Calvin Brown (guitar and bandleader)

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I purchased the "reissue" (??) of the Saru album "Super Bad" by The O'Jays in the mid 80's, with the same tracks in the same order, very poor info in the labels and sleeve, different cover art and label, Upfront records and without title, called simply "The O'Jays". My favorite track is "Little Brother" on wich there's a nice wisthle part.

Social source share

The fact that Saru was Clevelands second most successful Indepandant logo behind Way-Out surely should of warranted better research ? Any mention of the logos owners Chuck Brown and Frank keys? No mention of Lou Ragland who went on to become the vice president of Saru . It took me the best part of 35 years to complete this logo and I feel a little let down not by the release but by the information ? Any mention of Lou getting the O Jays signed he worked for them prior to them signing in 1971 and was the driving force behind shattered man etc. Lou also played percussion for the Elements.

Philadelphia International records after 71 meant this logos great work was wound down for various reasons namely talent train etc Bobby Dukes,Bobby Massey etc followed sharply. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!