Cecil Washington - Prophonics

Vadnochka

Just a query on this big ticket sound.

It has always looked a bit iffy to me - I personally have never seen or observed any copy listed at less than M- / unplayed - current discogs listings in similar nick. Has anyone out there got a knackered / beat up vinyl / ring wear / rips on label or are the total number from a mint ?count box from the same source - one of the few I've never owned due to my lack of faith in their provenance and when did it first emerge to the light of day and by whom.

Steve

Social source share

Back in the early 9ts I got 5 copies from a dealer in the detroit area. I moved all the copies to various dealers/ djs in london. I do know the guy I got them from had many more as he started listing them in discoveries record mag. How many he had is unknown but I wasn't the only dj he was selling them too. Glorious days indeed .  Greg

Social source share

Guest ganesh

late 80's I think I brought this and ray pollard this time outside the 100 club for £50 the pair off a guy whose name escapes me but he used to jock at peterborough

Social source share

Martin Koppel wrote an article in Shades of Soul, late 80's, where he mentions being shown a box of 1000 copies by a dealer in Detroit.  Goes on to say that at his next visit there the dealer claimed to have sold them all to (I think) someone in Europe. Anyone got that article?

Social source share

32 minutes ago, mark w said:

Martin Koppel wrote an article in Shades of Soul, late 80's, where he mentions being shown a box of 1000 copies by a dealer in Detroit.  Goes on to say that at his next visit there the dealer claimed to have sold them all to (I think) someone in Europe. Anyone got that article?

100 count box not 1000 ... :thumbsup:

Shades of Soul Issue #8 Aug 1986.pdf

Social source share

I'm not dead certain but I think what Martin is referring to is Cadet [not Chess linked] distributors/one stop.

I think it was 1980 and Larry Ray [Pietowski] told me there was a place with copies of Cecil 45.

He'd been trying to get in but no luck.  Gave them a ring and got the OK from someone who worked there.

We both went and spent say 40 minutes in there but then owner turned up and we were turfed out.

Didn't come across Cecil but there were titles in quantity such as Gary Haines [easily 100+], PANIK label [some copies of Deans], Hyperions [50+]

Others I can't remember but all in quantity and didn't get to look at all the stock.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Probably puts the question mark on a lot of so called rare records listed in today's fascinating northern soul world supply and demand counters this saying anything new other then the truly daft prices fetched on many 45's not really imo

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

OK just general item on this with technology should we be worried that all top tracks could be booted fooling everyone there are boots on ebay that the sellers say are not original but what happens when they get into circulation ?? 

Social source share

Hi Steve

Re "when did it first emerge to the light of day and by whom".

John Anderson found it & sold one to Richard Searling. Richard plays it covered up as Joe Mathews around 78/79. Stays a c/up until Kev Draper gets a copy. Think Kev plays it uncovered at the Fleet, 80/81 ?

Originals have a nice crisp ARP stamp in the dead wax.

Edited by pottsy
Social source share

I had one in the 90s which had some kind of discolouration on the label and was decent but not mint.  I know it's been suggested from time to time that there is a large-ish stock of uncirculated copies (and maybe there are - or more likely were), but this one had definitely been out and about.

Social source share

I spoke to the guy who wrote it, I'm not sure if he actually recorded the track but because he wouldn't produce for them they asked Cecil to sing it. He dated one of the backing singers who was a cheer leader. 

I have another 5 records on the label and there is just one with  a variation.. No bulls eye on one issue. 

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

On 25/05/2018 at 00:47, Driveller said:

I had one in the 90s which had some kind of discolouration on the label and was decent but not mint.  I know it's been suggested from time to time that there is a large-ish stock of uncirculated copies (and maybe there are - or more likely were), but this one had definitely been out and about.

My copy is definitely not mint and wasn’t when I got it from the states years ago 

Social source share

On 01/06/2018 at 16:59, Prophonics 2029 said:

I spoke to the guy who wrote it, I'm not sure if he actually recorded the track but because he wouldn't produce for them they asked Cecil to sing it. He dated one of the backing singers who was a cheer leader. 

I have another 5 records on the label and there is just one with  a variation.. No bulls eye on one issue. 

I know you guys are talking more about the record than the recording. But anyway, I think there was a thread about the background of this record quite a few years back. Wasn't it Cecil Washington himself who posted in it? From what I recall he was/is a reverend. Band was actually Soul Inc (of My Proposal fame). Am I right or am I mixing up things?

Social source share

On 01/06/2018 at 17:48, IANCSLOFT said:

Harry Levin Detroit had quiet a few unplayed Warehouse stock early 1990s

Of Cecil Washington and also copies of the Hyperions 

yes ,we had lunch with him with chris from street corner and harry confirmed he had 25count box,s of cw and hyperions .altho we tried very hard to get access to them but it never happened.

Edited by stanley
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Phew Cecil Washington! a record I always wanted but never had the money at the right time.

When records were big this was absolutely massive.

It's hard to imagine the impact this record had when played at the time.

These days it would probably cause barely a ripple.

Dx

No excuse needed to tag on a YouTube clip eh?

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!