Heir Hunters on BBC

purist

Guest woolie mark

Really interesting, thanks for posting.

It actually made me glad that I have now sold nearly all of my high value records, because nobody in my family would want them or know what to do with them when I'm gone.  I need to motivate myself to have another good clear out soon.

I can't see what was sad about the end of John's life, or have I missed something?  It seems he had a lovely house, friends, and he must have enjoyed the proceeds of a lifetime of collecting when he cashed in.  I've sold several record collections in my life and the last big sell-up I did raised the deposit for the last house I bought, so no regrets from me.

Social source share

3 hours ago, woolie mark said:

Really interesting, thanks for posting.

It actually made me glad that I have now sold nearly all of my high value records, because nobody in my family would want them or know what to do with them when I'm gone.  I need to motivate myself to have another good clear out soon.

I can't see what was sad about the end of John's life, or have I missed something?  It seems he had a lovely house, friends, and he must have enjoyed the proceeds of a lifetime of collecting when he cashed in.  I've sold several record collections in my life and the last big sell-up I did raised the deposit for the last house I bought, so no regrets from me.

Yes I agree , seems to me he got his timing right in selling the big guns he had , enjoyed the proceeds ,no doubt the money will have made him secure , good on him , what a smashing fella he was . R.I.P  John 

Social source share

Think I am being slightly cynical, think that's the word. 4000 records valued at £3000. Methinks that is a dealers pricing and not market value. I know it's gonna be hard to offload that amount of records in one go, so who got them?  Never knew him but seems such a shame he didn't leave a will and give them to a charity or a mate. Note to self :hatsoff2:

Social source share

52 minutes ago, Maxwell said:

Think I am being slightly cynical, think that's the word. 4000 records valued at £3000. Methinks that is a dealers pricing and not market value. I know it's gonna be hard to offload that amount of records in one go, so who got them?  Never knew him but seems such a shame he didn't leave a will and give them to a charity or a mate. Note to self :hatsoff2:

I think this is a pretty fair comment.

i heard the valuation on what was left and it seemed low or a dealer had got them cheap.

thats the problem when people who dont know the values are given the task of finding the values and selling.

Social source share

Bought many records from him over the last 25 years. Met him three times. Spent hours on the phone discussing the soul scene, record prices etc. Always down to earth, he had become rather disillusioned, particularly with the rip off prices nowadays. I didn't find out that he had died till after his funeral. We were planning to visit him, but that never happened. He wouldn't have been happy with the Wigan references, he'd rather fallen out with that stuff and preferred R&B. Sad loss.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The sale of the remaining 4000 or so records from his collection was discussed at length on here - Featonbys Auctioneers on Tyneside sold them..something like £7 k was made on the day.... I have a copy of the spreadsheet the auctioneers provided...none of the lots really took my fancy....

Social source share

Just seen the programme on iPlayer. Very interesting in lots of ways. I didn’t know John - was he the guy with a beard or the bloke on the right? Tim Brown popped up and showed us his Big Daddy’... So, John had virtually no records left as he had moved them on - now I’m really intrigued as I would like to know more about John, what records he had before he sold up, why he actually sold his collection etc.

Social source share

I didn’t know Mr Powney but I heard about the auction and went to the viewing on the auction day. The collection was divided into lots with various quantities of records in each lot. There were numerous boxes but I only flicked through the lots that were of interest. If I remember right, it was Mr Powney’s family that arranging the auction. There was a itemised list. I watched the auction on-line and some lots went for good prices. 

Respect to Mr Powney for his passion and dedication in collecting the music he loved.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!