Couple of Old Shifty cover ups

Mal C

Just reading some soul blurb and saw these two ‘cover ups from shifty from yonks back, think I remember him playing Clara Hardy CU on Richard Searlings show maybe 2001/2, but can’t be sure it’s the actual tracks listed below, he did find a one off acetate I think on a USA trip about then...

Clara Hardy & Magictones C/U
Lou Pride C/U

so anybody got anything we could listen to regarding these two,  or have these been uncovered since and it’s common knowledge... ?

be good to know

mal

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Love this Lou Pride. Did sound familiar, but I couldn't have named it.

Clara Hardy? Superb.

Is it because top new tunes being uncovered are such a rarity now that they get elevated status? Would they have stood out in 1974?

Ed

Edited by tomangoes
Spello
Social source share

20 hours ago, tomangoes said:

Love this Lou Pride. Did sound familiar, but I couldn't have named it.

Clara Hardy? Superb.

Is it because top new tunes being uncovered are such a rarity now that they get elevated status? Would they have stood out in 1974?

Ed

To me, the Lou Pride is a wee bit "meh". Wouldn't have set the dance floors alight in '74. Personal opinion/taste and all that, and I'm sure there maybe others who will disagree. 

The Clara Hardy tune though? Tops. Excellent stuff. Can quite easily imagine it being a biggie anytime between 72 and 74. Stands up well alongside most, if not all, of the monsters of the time. 

Social source share

Shifty was pushing the above 2001/2/3 if my memory serves me well, sounded great then as they do now.... would not know about the seventies guys, it’s a very long time ago 😕 lol 

I remember he got a copy of Masquaraders on Soul Town and was very excited about playing it at the Kent anniversary bash in Kentish Town... that was a night 

Old or not I think we all agree Clara hardy is a wee bit good 🙂 

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Obviously no point for you, but for me and maybe a few others, the reality is that great NEW discoveries are extremely rare today. Back in the day, fantastic records had a real short lifespan because of the abundance of choice.

So, would anything discovered in the last few years, maybe covered up before then, be an 'a lister' back in the day.

Its only a lighthearted debate, not a investigation:)

Ed

Edited by tomangoes
Spello
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/05/2018 at 06:43, chas said:

He was playing this little ditty around the same time, under the guise of Des O Connor. It emerged some time later covered by Carl Fortnum as Tony Middleton, superb track for the dance floors. 

Flanny always played this in the main room at middleton.... perfect 4am big room sound.

Social source share

On 21/05/2018 at 16:28, corbett80 said:

Cor that clara is so good

Yes that Clara Hardy & the Magictones cover/up sounds great. 

The beginning of the backing track, and bits of the tune, remind me of Gene Chandlers "Such A Pretty Thing"!clue?!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

• 1 month later...
On 14/06/2018 at 21:10, Ringleader said:

I know exactly what you mean.  Sounds like a Chicago production. 

I take it was a Chess label or one of it's subsidiaries Checker, Cadet seems like a number of people either know who the artist is as the Gerald Sims arranged track "Gene Chandler - Such A Pretty Thing" must be from the same stable or was it an uncredited acetate that Russ chose a name for?

Kirsty

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Gold Band said:

I take it was a Chess label or one of it's subsidiaries Checker, Cadet seems like a number of people either know who the artist is as the Gerald Sims arranged track "Gene Chandler - Such A Pretty Thing" must be from the same stable or was it an uncredited acetate that Russ chose a name for?

Kirsty

Clara Hardy is an uncredited acetate Kirsty.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!