Dissertation Information Northern Soul

Guest Tash Hou

Guest Tash Hou

Hello everyone, 

I'm a music performance student in my final year of college with a passion for Northern Soul. I'm 18 years old and have been brought up listening to this epic music. 

For my final unit I have to do a radio broadcast and write a dissertation, both of which are based on Northern Soul. I need  some viewpoints from Northern Soul enthusiasts to help me with my research. 

Could you please answer the following questions for me?

My dissertation title is: What impact has Northern Soul had on 21st century culture?

So basically I'm trying to draw comparisons, contrasts and similarities between Northern Soul and todays music.

-How do you think Northern Soul music has benefited todays music?

- How has the Northern Soul dress  impacted todays fashion?

- Do you think the use of drugs to enhance and increase stamina for dance was inspired by the Northern Soul scene?

- Is there anything about Northern Soul you think has impacted modern day culture? (ie adverts, club culture)

- List of modern NS records

- Were there any politics in the NS scene that may still occur today?

- Any direct contrasts between NS and todays music and our underground music scenes?

- Ethical issues within the Northern Soul scene that might still be about today?

For the radio show:

- List your top three favourite Northern Soul records (along with persons name and where they live (so long as they don't mind their name being announced on the show))

-First Northern Soul record you listened to?

- First place you heard Northern Soul (how did it make you feel?)

Thank you so much everyone :)

Social source share

• Replies 0
  • Views 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!