Philly Cracker

Up for grabs, a wonderful Philadelphia release with legendary status on the scene

PM any questions or to reserve

Jimmy Wallace – I’ll be back – Alpha 006 M- £725

Along with the R&B and Country orientated label Chestnut, Alpha was a division of Don-El Records.  This Philadelphian set up was owned by C. Percy (Donald) White and operated on the same block as the V-Tone / Len labels.  The best years were 65-68, the labels flourished locally with some national success. 

Don recruited a very tight team, with the majority of his output by Bobby Martin arranging and conducting many tracks, supported by reliable writers like Robert L Martin (an alias for Bobby?) and Jerry Williams who provided this wonderful track.  Wally Osborne became involved as a producer for some and there was also close Motown links, with Wallace’s “Forever” on Alpha 002 coming from the pens of Brian Holland, Freddie Gorman and LaMont Dozier, with rights to Jobete Music.  The label was not short of quality Artists either, the likes of Johnnie Alton quoted by Osborne as a fantastic talent, the Celestrals (of later RCA fame), Ronnie & Joyce, and the somewhat obscure Cottage bound Fluffy Falana.  Wallace and the Celestrals released on Don-El too, amongst other great acts, notably the Kittens and one Eddie Holman.

We have been fortunate for “I’ll be back” to grace the scene since the days of Stafford, growing in stature as the years go by.  This copy has a M- surface and playback, however it is pressed off-centre, but this is remedied by a purpose fit spindle adaptor, resulting in a perfect play as per the sound file.  The labels would grade Ex for just a couple of handling smudges on the cool purple label.

I can hold until payday if it helps!  PayPal as friends or add 4% or bank transfer please.

Postage:

£8.50 – Special Delivery (Fully insured)

Overseas on Request

Cheers, Lee

5ae0b28721c5c_Alpha006.jpg.9ecfec946347f0a25516006d1ba73447.jpg Jimmy Wallace - I'll be back.mp3

Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 0
  • Views 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source