Weast Coast Rarity

Up for grabs, a fabulous West Coast offering that appeared and disappeared, and set sale for ease

PM any questions or to reserve

Johnny Praye – I can’t get too much love – Sidewalk 911 M- £1000

in Apr 67 Billboard’s R&B Spotlight predicted Johnny’s “I cherish your precious love” would break into the R&B charts, and while it isn’t a bad track, the real deal was tucked away on the flip. The Northern scene has only been familiar with “Can’t get too much love” for a decade and a half (or so), and it’s earliest airing was under the cover of a more familiar J.J. Jackson.

Sidewalk Records was established in 1963 by an 18-year old called Mike Curb and based in Hollywood, California. Although Curb was a high school dropout, he proves that an education isn’t everything, he not only ran a decent Record Co. he went on to be a NASCAR car owner, and politician who served as the 42nd Lieutenant Governor of California.

Sidewalk productions later became a subsidiary of Capitol Records, with many Sidewalk recordings appearing on another Capitol subsidiary; Tower Records. The label seems to have catered for a range of genres, so it’s not surprising that the soul output was limited. Peggy Larey’s “Welcome home”, a semi-known crossover tune is the only other soul release I am aware of, and of course less is known of Johnny Praye, but the legacy he leaves is one hell of a dancefloor buster with cool lyrics. This from a label with a large catalogue, but only one Northern rarity, how often is this the case?

This superb copy has M- vinyl, and only one very small feint mark on the run in, which does not affect play. Labels are graded Ex+ because the top label shows a nearly indistinguishable 10p size off white stain and has light handling label wear on the centre. All in all, it’s a top copy that comes with the fabled artistic company sleeve.

I can hold until payday if it helps! PayPal as friends or add 4% or bank transfer please.

1637079983_Sidewalk911withSleeve.jpg.e3941b6a741659fc51a8d5e2fe3d4820.jpg  Johnny Praye - Can't Get Too Much Love.mp3

Postage:
£8.50 – Special Delivery (Fully insured)
Overseas on Request

Cheers, Lee

Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 0
  • Views 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Get involved with Soul Source