The rise of the 'NEW' soulie and the soul revolution.

I have not come across these clubs where boots are played is it really a lot of places doing this ?  I would never choose to attnd one.

i once or twice have been in a trendy / alternative bar in a city sentre and heard some northern but it was obvious it was boots being played.  As it was just a regular night out for a few beers it didnt bother me as i hadnt gone out to hear soul music or to a northern night.

a true soul club has to play original vinyl its what makes it special.

cheapies, rarities, obscure, well knowns all fine and its nice to get a healthy mix of them all.  With probably a focus on the rarer more obscure stuff to make it that bit more special.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

39 minutes ago, IAN STACEY said:

well in your day that might of been the case but since my generation 79 /80  we do care so we did go out of our way to buy originals  & listen to a more diverse records Stafford Leicester  Peterborough  all played on original vinyl  or acetates if rare me & others constantly looked at the records being played there was less of;not allowed behind the decks rule;& where happy to let us see what was being played since 1998 every single rare tune has been pressed out by different company's some with permission some not .because of this proliferation .of tunes on vinyl the soul scene became a healthy & vibrant .But we are not teenagers anymore & it does not wash with us when a big dj of old comes & thinks he can play on these NEW records he can not & many have been caught out trying this con on  saying things like (punters dont know ) we im am not a punter & truly still refer to peeps as brothers & sisters  the old guard did not give a shit well my generation does & OVO  is what we expect British or USA or Canadian or dutch ect but an original not a £5 pressing from outa sight  that not what the scene is about now . thats the point i was trying to get across .back in 74/5 there was not the communication we have now nor the amount of records that  are available to get fairly easily compared to then i only have  a few rare records because i went to the states in the early eighties & searched for them now you can just about get anything on original so why buy bootlegs ? & why defend dj s that do this ?

Got to agree with you on this, I just think playing boots is the start of a slippery slope / thin end of wedge kind of thing . Also although record prices are at an all time high surely this proves to a degree that a lot of guys do have ov , and are probably buying to dj with, as there seems to be plenty of supply of folks/fools  ready to part with their cash ! 

Social source share

32 minutes ago, IAN STACEY said:

well in your day that might of been the case but since my generation 79 /80  we do care so we did go out of our way to buy originals  & listen to a more diverse records Stafford Leicester  Peterborough  all played on original vinyl  or acetates if rare me & others constantly looked at the records being played there was less of;not allowed behind the decks rule;& where happy to let us see what was being played since 1998 every single rare tune has been pressed out by different company's some with permission some not .because of this proliferation .of tunes on vinyl the soul scene became a healthy & vibrant .But we are not teenagers anymore & it does not wash with us when a big dj of old comes & thinks he can play on these NEW records he can not & many have been caught out trying this con on  saying things like (punters dont know ) we im am not a punter & truly still refer to peeps as brothers & sisters  the old guard did not give a shit well my generation does & OVO  is what we expect British or USA or Canadian or dutch ect but an original not a £5 pressing from outa sight  that not what the scene is about now . thats the point i was trying to get across .back in 74/5 there was not the communication we have now nor the amount of records that  are available to get fairly easily compared to then i only have  a few rare records because i went to the states in the early eighties & searched for them now you can just about get anything on original so why buy bootlegs ? & why defend dj s that do this ?

So, it has to be rare and ORIGINAL, otherwise it's unplayable/not allowed? Really? How terribly sad.

In "my day" we did actually go out and try to source original copies of everything, believe it or not. We weren't all complete cavemen, and did actually have enough skills and passion to create a scene that so many who came after us enjoyed. We may not have been quite as "enlightened and progressive" as those of you who followed us though. Obviously.

I prided myself on the number of original UK issues and demos in my collection, as did many others. In fact, it was because of booting, and most people's inability to discern what was kosher and what wasn't, that many people collected ONLY British issues. It was also because of those earliest boots that people could actually own and listen to the tunes in the comfort of their own bedrooms. You "enlightened" ones really don't understand just how bloody difficult it was to listen to Northern stuff back prior to 75.

But, boot or reissue, emidisc or original, the label a tune is on does NOT affect its danceability. That's the entire point I was making. To ban something just because it's deemed not to be rare enough anymore, or because it's been booted/reissued, it's absolutely and utterly absurd. If that is now a view widely held on the scene, and actively pursued, then I fear there is no place for me in it anymore. Nor many of the other "old guys". 

Social source share

29 minutes ago, dylan said:

I have not come across these clubs where boots are played is it really a lot of places doing this ?  I would never choose to attnd one.

i once or twice have been in a trendy / alternative bar in a city sentre and heard some northern but it was obvious it was boots being played.  As it was just a regular night out for a few beers it didnt bother me as i hadnt gone out to hear soul music or to a northern night.

cheapies, rarities, obscure, well knowns all fine and its nice to get a healthy mix of them all.  With probably a focus on the rarer more obscure stuff to make it that bit more special.

I know of one place a “dj” played a full set on carver lookalikes , one punter was utterly disgusted when he thought he’d been bopping away to original vinyl, he actually said “I wouldn’t have stepped on the floor the cheating, cee u next Tuesday ‘ . 

Social source share

40 minutes ago, IAN STACEY said:

all played on original vinyl  or acetates if rare 

OVO  is what we expect   

why buy bootlegs ? & why defend dj s that do this ?

Apols for the selective editing but emboldening a part of a full quote takes up so much space on the page...

Acetates, are we talking record company acetates here?

Or an unlicensed, unofficial acetate of a rare sound that a DJ has commissioned in order to play the tune at events?

If it's the second option then it's a Bootleg. Fair enough not a Boot made in numbers to sell illegally, but the same thing on acetate is still an illegal bootleg, and playing it out commercially is still illegally profiting from a bootlegged recording, it is a breach of copyright.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Just now, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Apols for the selective editing but emboldening a part of a full quote takes up so much space on the page...

Acetates, are we talking record company acetates here?

Or an unlicensed, unofficial acetate of a rare sound that a DJ has commissioned in order to play the tune at events?

If it's the second option then it's a Bootleg. Fair enough not a Boot made in numbers to sell illegally, but the same thing on acetate is still an illegal bootleg, and playing it out commercially is still illegally profiting from a bootlegged recording, it is a breach of copyright.

record company  acetates or emi disc preferably with a stamp mark 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Colnago said:

I know of one place a “dj” played a full set on carver lookalikes , one punter was utterly disgusted when he thought he’d been bopping away to original vinyl, he actually said “I wouldn’t have stepped on the floor the cheating, cee u next Tuesday ‘ . 

Then that punter was a tosser. Once again, and at the risk of repeating myself, the label DOES NOT affect the danceability of a tune. How can someone enjoy dancing all night, then suddenly be unhappy because of bloody labels? It's absurd. If the event is advertised as OVO, then fine, that is all that should be played. If not, then who cares as long as everyone is enjoying themselves.

I hate to pop people's balloons or rain on their parades, but all the big name DJs who built this scene PLAYED BOOTS AND REISSUES OCCASIONALLY. There, its out in the open! Emidiscs we're changing hands every bloody night. And back then, not all Emidiscs were kosher either.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

44 minutes ago, dylan said:

I don't know how many places are playing their tunes off Boots or reissues, but quite frankly I don't care. if I "go out" I want to listen to the tune, and, if my hip and knees allow, actually dance to it. I don't feel the need to masturbate over a rare label, or flagellate both myself and the unfortunate DJ if the pic on the big screen shows the disc is only worth £5, and not £5000. Nor will I feel in any way ripped off.

A "true" soul club ONLY plays OVO? Really? That's a bugger. All those years attending the Pendulum, Central, Catacombs, etc. etc. only to find out in 2018 that they weren't "true" soul  clubs. What a fool I and many others have been. I feel as cheated as those bloody Dalton Boys I used to dance to. 

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Mark S said:

Boots are bad ..................

..................cant fookin dance in em 

There we go back to shoes , next manbags and guyliner .😜

I thought we'd finished talking about those late seventies Mecca catamites? 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Social source share

We have here a Dichotomy that I've come across many times in these debates about OVO and Boots etc.

A lot of folks will refer to a legit reissue as a 'boot' where as a matter of fact a reissue is a legitimate release and a boot is an illegal bootleg.

In these discussions we need to clearly differentiate between these two descriptions.

I take issue with genuine illegal bootlegs, being a paid up member of PRS, it is straightforward theft to sell an artist's work without paying any royalty, that is simple.

My issue with OVO scene is that you can't play a legit Reissue, which is to me very sad as it means there is no point in DJs buying reissues and therefore the artist/publisher loses out on, in a lot of cases, some badly needed dough, seeing as most of the artists are old now and could use some, after all it is their work that promoters and DJs are profiting from.

I would much rather see a healthier trade in recordings on say the Kent label, with DJs rather than the huge trade in rare OVO 45s.

I do get the idea of collecting OVO and preserving it, and also the pleasure in owning that piece of music history. I believe that they should be in the hands of collectors/preservers and that DJs should be buying legit reissues to play at events for the reasons I outlined above. This sadly isn't the case with the current setup. Also it would help the scene because we wouldn't be restricted to listening to a lot of sounds that are below par simply because our OVO DJ hasn't got the best records on account of the expense, playing legit reissues would address that problem also.

As I said earlier I believe the skill is in knowledge of the canon, rather than having the dosh for the big ticket 45s, which let's face it, are the best ones for the dancefloor, the 'in-demanders' as it were. :hatsoff2:

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 minute ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

We have here a Dichotomy that I've come across many times in these debates about OVO and Boots etc.

A lot of folks will refer to a legit reissue as a 'boot' where as a matter of fact a reissue is a legitimate release and a boot is an illegal bootleg.

In these discussions we need to clearly differentiate between these two descriptions.

I take issue with genuine illegal bootlegs, being a paid up member of PRS, it is straightforward theft to sell an artist's work without paying any royalty, that is simple.

My issue with OVO scene is that you can't play a legit Reissue, which is to me very sad as it means there is no point in DJs buying reissues and therefore the artist/publisher loses out on, in a lot of cases, some badly needed dough, seeing as most of the artists are old now and could use some, after all it is their work that promoters and DJs are profiting from.

I would much rather see a healthier trade in recordings on say the Kent label, with DJs rather than the huge trade in rare OVO 45s.

I do get the idea of collecting OVO and preserving it, and also the pleasure in owning that piece of music history. I believe that they should be in the hands of collectors/preservers and that DJs should be buying legit reissues to play at events for the reasons I outlined above. This sadly isn't the case with the current setup. Also it would help the scene because we wouldn't be restricted to listening to a lot of sounds that are below par simply because our OVO DJ hasn't got the best records on account of the expense, playing legit reissues would address that problem also.

As I said earlier I believe the skill is in knowledge of the canon, rather than having the dosh for the big ticket 45s, which let's face it, are the best ones for the dancefloor, the 'in-demanders' as it were. :hatsoff2:

Couldn't have put it better myself. A boxful of £3-5K records being played when there are legit reissues which could be used? Madness. And nothing more than a "look at me" ego trip. 

Social source share

17 minutes ago, Joey said:

Then that punter was a tosser. Once again, and at the risk of repeating myself, the label DOES NOT affect the danceability of a tune. How can someone enjoy dancing all night, then suddenly be unhappy because of bloody labels? It's absurd. If the event is advertised as OVO, then fine, that is all that should be played. If not, then who cares as long as everyone is enjoying themselves.

I hate to pop people's balloons or rain on their parades, but all the big name DJs who built this scene PLAYED BOOTS AND REISSUES OCCASIONALLY. There, its out in the open! Emidiscs we're changing hands every bloody night. And back then, not all Emidiscs were kosher either.

I don’t think he was a tosser joey , after all it is his perogative which is what bbaml was asking for. The punters point was he’d paid his entrance fee and was disappointed with the dj , I mean I get it I wouldn’t like it, my peroagative . Now if they advertised they would be playing boots/carvers maybe then we could make the choice, but you’ll see adverts saying o v o but you don’t see them advertising boots to be played , hmmm wonder why ....... anyway I thought we were drifting onto ladies shoes......lol

• Up vote 1
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Joey said:

10 minutes ago, Joey said:

we know it was , dont boast about it  brother we all have all heard the facts. shameless some of them as well so im afriad this is nothing new to our delicate EARS  .they still try now f f s  if its not boots or carvers it fecking CDs   ,the fact we accept that thats all the was aviable at that time .but now no fecking excuse.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 minute ago, Colnago said:

I don’t think he was a tosser joey , after all it is his perogative which is what bbaml was asking for. The punters point was he’d paid his entrance fee and was disappointed with the dj , I mean I get it I wouldn’t like it, my peroagative . Now if they advertised they would be playing boots/carvers maybe then we could make the choice, but you’ll see adverts saying o v o but you don’t see them advertising boots to be played , hmmm wonder why ....... anyway I thought we were drifting onto ladies shoes......lol

If the event was indeed advertised as OVO,  then he had a legitimate reason for complaint. If not......he was a tosser. The whole OVO thing, to me, seems to be a fairly recent construct. No mention was EVER made of "originality " back in the day. If that had been the governing criteria for "normal" Soul clubs, the scene would have disappeared well before it officially died in 1975.

Now, onto ladies shoes. Has anyone mentioned yet what they smell like? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Social source share

15 minutes ago, Joey said:

I don't know how many places are playing their tunes off Boots or reissues, but quite frankly I don't care. if I "go out" I want to listen to the tune, and, if my hip and knees allow, actually dance to it. I don't feel the need to masturbate over a rare label, or flagellate both myself and the unfortunate DJ if the pic on the big screen shows the disc is only worth £5, and not £5000. Nor will I feel in any way ripped off.

A "true" soul club ONLY plays OVO? Really? That's a bugger. All those years attending the Pendulum, Central, Catacombs, etc. etc. only to find out in 2018 that they weren't "true" soul  clubs. What a fool I and many others have been. I feel as cheated as those bloody Dalton Boys I used to dance to. 

Yes but it’s 2018 now and my point is aimed at clubs now.

when the scene was in its earliest days things were different it’s not at all the point i’m Trying to make.

if you want to dance to boots in 2018 please carry on.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, dylan said:

Yes but it’s 2018 now and my point is aimed at clubs now.

when the scene was in its earliest days things were different it’s not at all the point i’m Trying to make.

if you want to dance to boots in 2018 please carry on.

That's fine then. BUT, I keep going back to my original point, one that has seemingly been buried under everything else. Why, nowadays, is it apparently accepted that a tune, in this instance Wally Cox, should be consigned to the very depths of history and not played, just because it's been reissued and/or booted? 

Social source share

Just now, Joey said:

That's fine then. BUT, I keep going back to my original point, one that has seemingly been buried under everything else. Why, nowadays, is it apparently accepted that a tune, in this instance Wally Cox, should be consigned to the very depths of history and not played, just because it's been reissued and/or booted? 

I don’t believe a record should be consigned to history if it has been booted or reissued.

i do believe it should be played of original vinyl.  The point about owning the original and playing a pressing makes some sense though as prices are just so high that they are as much an investment as a record now.

loads of great and very rare records have been booted or reissued and they all still get played not sure why one in particular should be any different.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Joey said:

not the best of tunes to spin never bought one

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 minutes ago, IAN STACEY said:

we know it was , dont boast about it  brother we all have all heard the facts. shameless some of them as well so im afriad this is nothing new to our delicate EARS  .they still try now f f s  if its not boots or carvers it fecking CDs   ,the fact we accept that thats all the was aviable at that time .but now no fecking excuse.

Boasting? Really? Ha! "Shameless" DJs "back in the day" using Emidiscs etc.? Those shameless and horrible people who included all the greats such as Martin Ellis, Pep, Alan Day, Tony Jebb, Barry Tasker, and even...........King Richard? Terrible people. Should never have been allowed behind a deck, eh?

Once again, and at the risk of repeating myself for the umpteenth time, how does the label affect the danceability of the tune?

Repeat number two, why should a classic tune be deemed unfit to be played because it was reissued and/or booted?

Answers on a postcard to the usual address. 

Social source share

11 minutes ago, professorturnups said:

Are we at a point now where the playing of expensive originals is considered snobbish by some people and they should play reissues instead? You couldn't make it up

Not my angle, I'm in favour of reissues because they generate a royalty for the artist/writers. If people, given a choice, would play their expensive originals that is fine with me.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

13 minutes ago, Joey said:

Why, nowadays, is it apparently accepted that a tune, in this instance Wally Cox, should be consigned to the very depths of history and not played, just because it's been reissued and/or booted? 

But that is far from “nowadays” accepted practice. I haven’t read the entire thread, but I’ve noticed some very, very long posts. The fact is that the likes of Wigan, and other big venues, were dropping records on a massive scale simply down to booting. What happens nowadays in terms of record turn over pales into insignificance - it always will do because the supply of new 60’s records isn’t there anymore - and that’s probably been the case for nearly 30 years. 

Edited by Peter99
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Joey said:

If the event was indeed advertised as OVO,  then he had a legitimate reason for complaint. If not......he was a tosser. The whole OVO thing, to me, seems to be a fairly recent construct. No mention was EVER made of "originality " back in the day. If that had been the governing criteria for "normal" Soul clubs, the scene would have disappeared well before it officially died in 1975.

Now, onto ladies shoes. Has anyone mentioned yet what they smell like? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yes , ‘ back in the day’ but like some have said , that was then , but as said by others from the mid 80s whatever there was a unsaid ethos on ovo .that is certainly true , I reckon the ovo adverts started appearing in recent times because of carvers etc appearing due to the scene growing and the guys advertising ovo are more than likely Guy’s who’ve never been away . Regards to the disgruntled punter the dj was alluding to him and others that he was playing ovo , but the point is why don’t they advertise that they’ll be playing boots . Now 5 inch stilettos 👠 ooooh........ 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Joey said:

Boasting? Really? Ha! "Shameless" DJs "back in the day" using Emidiscs etc.? Those shameless and horrible people who included all the greats such as Martin Ellis, Pep, Alan Day, Tony Jebb, Barry Tasker, and even...........King Richard? Terrible people. Should never have been allowed behind a deck, eh?

Once again, and at the risk of repeating myself for the umpteenth time, how does the label affect the danceability of the tune?

Repeat number two, why should a classic tune be deemed unfit to be played because it was reissued and/or booted?

Answers on a postcard to the usual address. 

I don’t think it affects the danceability pal , just more where they are spun imo that’s all imo 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 minutes ago, dylan said:

I don’t believe a record should be consigned to history if it has been booted or reissued.

i do believe it should be played of original vinyl.  The point about owning the original and playing a pressing makes some sense though as prices are just so high that they are as much an investment as a record now.

loads of great and very rare records have been booted or reissued and they all still get played not sure why one in particular should be any different.

But this was my point. I'd asked why "This man" never seems to get any plays, and the reply was that it was probably because it'd been booted, and booted very convincingly. To me, that's no reason not to play a tune. 

The OVO thing is, if you sit down and think about it for a moment, absolutely crazy. Why transport several hundred fragile records, most of which are worth well into four figures, to DJ with them? When alternatives are available. What are you, as a DJ, actually doing here? Are you playing records for people to dance to, or are you showing off your huge collection of rarities, whist at the same time massaging your own ego? It smacks of a pissing contest to me at times. The same was apt back in the early seventies, although back then, any collection was more likely to be stolen from you rather than lost or damaged. It made complete sense to keep all your Stateside demos etc. at home, and use alternatives, be they reissues or whatever. You wouldn't believe it, but people actually danced, and didn't mind!!!!!!

Social source share

7 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

But that is far from “nowadays” accepted practice. I haven’t read the entire thread, but I’ve noticed some very, very long posts. The fact is that the likes of Wigan, and other big venues, were dropping records on a massive scale simply down to booting. What happens nowadays in terms of record turn over pales into insignificance - it always will do because the supply of new 60’s records isn’t there anymore - and that’s probably been the case for nearly 30 years. 

Yes Peter, I didn't go to Wigan but...

Records were dropped when they were booted/reissued because people could then listen at home or take their records down the local and spin them there, and door take at WC would've been affected.

The Soul scene is a business, it's run by business people who hope to make some money out of it.

Currently the money is in OVO nights, folks are prepared to pay a premium for hearing the original pressings.

Nice to see you on the thread, it twists and turns and it's fine, it's just a friendly discussion about the scene today, anything goes really! 

Social source share

6 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Sorry Ian I thought an Emidisc wasn't ovo?

Back in 73, it was most definitely NOT original vinyl. More likely to be a made to order boot. I had one with skiing in the snow on one side, and crying over you on the other side. Cost me two quid from a VERY well known DJ, who is still active on th scene.

Social source share

Just now, Joey said:

Back in 73, it was most definitely NOT original vinyl. More likely to be a made to order boot. I had one with skiing in the snow on one side, and crying over you on the other side. Cost me two quid from a VERY well known DJ, who is still active on th scene.

That's what I thought, in that case I'm very confused as to that particular post referencing acetates and Emidiscs, it seemed contradictory. Never mind.

So an 'Emidisc' was nothing to do with EMI and legit reissues? Just straightforward illegal bootleg or...?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Joey said:

But this was my point. I'd asked why "This man" never seems to get any plays, and the reply was that it was probably because it'd been booted, and booted very convincingly. To me, that's no reason not to play a tune. 

The OVO thing is, if you sit down and think about it for a moment, absolutely crazy. Why transport several hundred fragile records, most of which are worth well into four figures, to DJ with them? When alternatives are available. What are you, as a DJ, actually doing here? Are you playing records for people to dance to, or are you showing off your huge collection of rarities, whist at the same time massaging your own ego? It smacks of a pissing contest to me at times. The same was apt back in the early seventies, although back then, any collection was more likely to be stolen from you rather than lost or damaged. It made complete sense to keep all your Stateside demos etc. at home, and use alternatives, be they reissues or whatever. You wouldn't believe it, but people actually danced, and didn't mind!!!!!!

My involvement has been hear as much soul music as I possibly could try and find original copies of those I like or I feel have some potential.  Finding records after years of searching was a big part of it for me.

i have never been a DJ

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Joey said:

Well done for putting the time in on this thread - your contribution has been significant. Having said that, I don’t think you get it. 

Your post suggesting that the ovo thing is absolutely crazy is way of piste. Not least because by default you are supporting the notion that any tom, dick and Harry could pitch up and play a load of boots, or even cd’s. Or even just pitch up with s laptop and play YouTube content. 

Sorry, if I’ve misunderstood you, but if I haven’t then with all due respect I think you are talking the language of Bolloxexis. 

🤬

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Spain pete said:

Maybe a poll would be in order,  collectors of fine music  v's lovers of SOUL MUSIC ✌🎶🎶

Not really Pete cause lovers of soul music love the artform that is contained within whatever medium it comes in, could be CD.

Collectors of music doesn't really cover all bases when talking about collectors of vinyl records.

Easy split with the DJs, those that have good OVO collections in favour, those without would be in favour of reissues.

Social source share

My involvement has been hear as much soul music as I possibly could try and find original copies of those I like or I feel have some potential.  Finding records after years of searching was a big part of it for me.

i have never been a DJ

My use of the word "you" was not aimed at you, but at the overwhelming majority of new DJs out there. Most now appear to think that having a box of mega rare records makes them a DJ. It doesn't. 

Social source share

4 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

That's what I thought, in that case I'm very confused as to that particular post referencing acetates and Emidiscs, it seemed contradictory. Never mind.

So an 'Emidisc' was nothing to do with EMI and legit reissues? Just straightforward illegal bootleg or...?

The emi disk was a blank disc produced by emi. 

Social source share

1 minute ago, Joey said:

My use of the word "you" was not aimed at you, but at the overwhelming majority of new DJs out there. Most now appear to think that having a box of mega rare records makes them a DJ. It doesn't. 

No I didn’t take it personally just adding what it was about for me

Social source share

3 minutes ago, dylan said:

i have never been a DJ

The discussion isn't really about collectors who collect only original first pressings, which are fine and admirable.

It is about DJs and events and OVO policy at commercial events.

Social source share

Term and conditions apply , your home may be at risk if you dont play original vinyl   blah blah blah blah

I love original vinyl but who makes the rules ?  and more to the point who has the right to dictate how we get our fix .

Got into all this in the early seventies because it was anarchic different and was as good a way as any of sticking two fingers up at the dross we were being force fed . it was cool and edgy and quite dangerous at times , especially round the Manchester area and as Joey has stated far more eloquently than I could nobody gave a shit at the time we were having too much fun after all thats what its all about isnt it ? FUN  remember that ???

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 minute ago, Peter99 said:

The emi disk was a blank disc produced by emi. 

I get it, so it was a blank 45 that you could write music onto, a bit like a burnable CD. I'm guessing sophisticated equipment required to actually put the grooves onto it? How fascinating, wonder if pics and details are available on this?

So an emidisc was basically an illegal bootleg then?

Forgive my ignorance I didn't come to the scene until the mid eighties. All I had was homemade tapes my WC mates used to make for me to play in the motor on the way to allniters.

Social source share

3 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

The discussion isn't really about collectors who collect only original first pressings, which are fine and admirable.

It is about DJs and events and OVO policy at commercial events.

Fair enough your opening post on this thread doesn’t suggest that’s what it is about ?

more just a free for all to discuss share anecdotes

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Well done for putting the time in on this thread - your contribution has been significant. Having said that, I don’t think you get it. 

Your post suggesting that the ovo thing is absolutely crazy is way of piste. Not least because by default you are supporting the notion that any tom, dick and Harry could pitch up and play a load of boots, or even cd’s. Or even just pitch up with s laptop and play YouTube content. 

Sorry, if I’ve misunderstood you, but if I haven’t then with all due respect I think you are talking the language of Bolloxexis. 

🤬

Then you have completely misunderstood every single thing I've said. Trust me, I "get it" regarding OVO. What I still don't get, is why a classic tune would be dismissed and never played just because it had been booted and/or reissued. And still no one has given me an adequate answer.  Are people so scared of playing something because a punter may think it's a boot? 

I also understand that "the scene" has undergone significant and numerous changes since its demise in the mid seventies, many of which have I despaired over, but many others which I feel have been majorly beneficial. If OVO is now the norm, and insisted on by everyone attending an event, then so be it. But, if that had been the case in the early days, we wouldn't be having this conversation now, as there wouldn't have been a scene left to discuss. 

Social source share

1 minute ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

I get it, so it was a blank 45 that you could write music onto, a bit like a burnable CD. I'm guessing sophisticated equipment required to actually put the grooves onto it? How fascinating, wonder if pics and details are available on this?

Forgive my ignorance I didn't come to the scene until the mid eighties. All I had was homemade tapes my WC mates used to make for me to play in the motor on the way to allniters.

Basically yes mate. There are of course legitimate “acetates” of unreleased records, which can be very similar. It’s a funny old game.

😊

• Thanks 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Yes, you're absolutely correct. The Emidiscs you see being discovered and sold today are completely different to what was being sold in 73. The only similarity is the colour of the label, and the EMI letters. 

Social source share

Fair enough your opening post on this thread doesn’t suggest that’s what it is about ?

more just a free for all to discuss share anecdotes

It IS that yes, I'm not enforcing any rules about being on-topic. Anything goes with me on this thread, like Freebasing only we aren't discussing Footie and stuff.

As far as I'm concerned as long as it's relevant to the soul scene we enjoy today it's good to go!

That is a green light to say anything you like, OVO, New blood, soul fashion at events, irritating things about folks old and new, women's flat shoes vs Stilettos ... 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!