The Shakers.

Monster floorfiller at most allniters throughout the history of the scene, we're being told first spin in '72 Catacombs or Torch. Not having that and betting on it being a spin much earlier, record is '67 so betting on King Mojo, Up The Junction and L'Ambassadeur or Newton Aycliffe before any of the bigger more well known niters of the '70s. 

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I'd put it as a late Torch and Catacombs spin. Maybe a bit too frantic and pop sounding for any earlier plays. I'd be very surprised if it got any plays at the Wheel.

ABC in the States rated it enough to take out a full page ad  in Billboard, they should have spent their money on Earl Jackson, Willie Hutch or Jackie Lee instead.

Page 17 on the link below

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Billboard/60s/1967/Billboard 1967-08-05.pdf

Rick

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
6 minutes ago, Rick Cooper said:

I'd put it as a late Torch and Catacombs spin

according to the Top 500 'bible' that is correct

Social source share

4 hours ago, 25miles said:

TORCH FOR SURE...........

WAS PLENTY OF COPIES BROUGHT FROM BRADFORD MARKET AT THE TIME..............

KEGSY & CO. SHOULD HAVE MORE INFO???

There were indeed loads of copies on Bradford market and  it was played at The L'Ambassadeur prior to the Torch and probably at Up The Junction as well. I hate to admit it but I took the copy to the L'Ambassadeur that was first played, oh the innocence of youth, I hate the bloody record now and often wonder why I thought is was any good back then, Green n Clears, Red n Browns perchance ?.

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!