Chris Turnbull

Your Top Jazz Tracks?

Listened to Jamie Cullum last night and started thinking about favourite jazz tunes - have played quite a lot over the years, some of which is right up there for me.

Tip of a very large iceberg though and would love to hear recommendations - any top tips / particular favourites? Have posted a few of mine below to kick off:-

Obviously this one, written by Eugene McDaniels is well known on the 21C soul scene as the hugely popular Mr Floods' party. However the 'proper' version by Les McCann is a Jazz classic, really letting their hair down on this one! The screaming hepcats!     

Funky Acid Jazz, Corduroy! Really dig their debut album 'Dad man Cat'. Supercool, Hipster before Hipster was a thing, retro cool vibe blending Funk, Jazz, TV music, they were a group of session aces from the London scene who got together and wrote a set for a hip party, the idea just to do the party and that was it. The tickets were made from Corduroy and they didn't have a name so...

If you have young Hipster pals as I do, when you've blown them away with your Northern Soul vinyls this album makes a killer follow through!

30 minutes ago, middleman said:

The genius of Bill Evans:

^^^sheer musical class personified right there.

Sublime stuff from Chick Corea,,playing solo at the piano for this one.

I find most jazz shockingly awful but there is the odd moment that I love. I can only take it in limited doses though.

I don't get tired of hearing this Fred Johnson track

Great idea for a thread (once again, Chris :hatsoff2:) and already some great tunes, known and unknown to me.

Promise to take it easy on this one - limit myself to one a day, starting with one of my favourite ivory tinklers (along with Ramsey Lewis and Webster Lewis), Gene Harris:

47 minutes ago, daved said:

And this is the ultimate imo :D but my jazz taste is very basic

"but my jazz taste is very basic"

Have you listened to some of the ones at the start of the thread Dave? If so, still think it shockingly awful?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Spain pete said:

Don't know how to put them up, but  Anything from john Coltrane, favourite things,  to Herbie Hancock , headhunters , great thread by the way, big up to all the BROAD CHURCHERS. 👍🎶🎶🎶🎶

Pete - If you click on the white arrow in the top right corner of a Youtube video it will let you copy the link to your clipboard which you can then paste into your post as a link or as an embedded video mate...:yes:

Edited by Soulsides

5 minutes ago, Soulsides said:

Pete - If you click on the white arrow in the top right corner of a Youtube video it will let you copy the link to your clipboard which you can then paste into your post as a link or as an embedded video mate...:yes:

Or just copy and paste the http link at the top of the page when the youtube clip is playing

Thanks for excellent posts so far - need to set a night aside to check them all out 😁

Thanks for the info guys, just give me a month or two l'm sure I'll figure it out ,,barney rubble is my real name. 👅🎶🎶

19 minutes ago, Soulsides said:

13 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Or just copy and paste the http link at the top of the page when the youtube clip is playing

Thanks for excellent posts so far - need to set a night aside to check them all out 😁

Posted (edited)

^^^Heavyweight knowledge from Soulguy..top stuff, mate.

This is, without a shadow of a doubt,my all time favourite Jazz track .

It was recorded by Yusef Lateef and taken from the album 'The Blue' released on Atlantic Records in 1968.

Music can do some pretty strange things to you sometimes and literally stop you in its tracks and the first time I ever heard this recording it hit me like a freight train..I'll happily confess that I  went a bit giddy and couldn't speak properly for at least five minutes afterwards.

It's an absolute masterclass of the art form in my opinion and still gives me the chills every time I hear it played.

Edited by Soulsides

2 hours ago, Mickey Finn said:

Great idea for a thread (once again, Chris :hatsoff2:) and already some great tunes, known and unknown to me.

Promise to take it easy on this one - limit myself to one a day, starting with one of my favourite ivory tinklers (along with Ramsey Lewis and Webster Lewis), Gene Harris:

Nice one Mickey ! I guess you know this version ?

Cheers Paul

15 minutes ago, soul shrews said:

👍A favourite of mine love this live version

^^^Jazz giants.

Lee Morgan on trumpet and Wayne Shorter on the tenor sax ..lovely stuff.

What a killer band of musicians Blakey had and who passed through the ranks of The Jazz Messengers in the late 50's and 60's..he certainly knew how to pick em' that's for sure.

It's difficult to choose just a few but here's three of my tops 

Bill Evans - My Man's Gone (Village Vanguard) Bassist Scott Lafaro was killed in a car crash just ten days after the recording aged just 25.

John Coltrane - Equinox

McCoy Tyner - African Village. The Real McCoy is one fo my top 60s jazz LPs but this is from Time For Tyner

4 minutes ago, maslar said:

It's difficult to choose just a few but here's three of my tops 

Bill Evans - My Man's Gone (Village Vanguard) Bassist Scott Lafaro was killed in a car crash just ten days after the recording aged just 25.

John Coltrane - Equinox

McCoy Tyner - African Village. The Real McCoy is one fo my top 60s jazz LPs but this is from Time For Tyner

McCoy Tyner! What can you say? For me A Love Supreme is a duet from two of the worlds greatest musicians. His playing is so rhythmic that it holds the centre of any tune. 

And this is one of my favourite music clips regardless of genre - Billie Holiday - Fine and Mellow,  with an ensemble of jazz legends (1957)

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, maslar said:

And this is one of my favourite music clips regardless of genre - Billie Holiday - Fine and Mellow,  with an ensemble of jazz legends (1957)

I remember when Channel 4 had a remit and played a whole night of Jazz, in which the whole session was aired. I fell in love, heart and soul, with Billie Holiday that night an obsession that's haunted me to this day. What a woman! 

Edited by themroc
Tired

I'm quite partial to the vocal side of jazz , especially the female recording artists from the 50 to early 60s. Apart from the well known Ella, Sarah, Dinah and Billie there are plenty more equally as good. These are two of my favourites.

15 hours ago, themroc said:

McCoy Tyner! What can you say? For me A Love Supreme is a duet from two of the worlds greatest musicians. His playing is so rhythmic that it holds the centre of any tune. 

Another of my favourite pianists without a doubt. His 1982 LP with Phyllis Hyman is well worth getting hold of, although the Phyllis tracks are also featured on the Expansion comp of her guest appearances and unreleased tracks released in 2003. This track, by now a classic, is taken from one of the albums released by the newly reactivated Blue Note label in 1985, featuring Marcus Miller on bass:

22 hours ago, middleman said:

"but my jazz taste is very basic"

Have you listened to some of the ones at the start of the thread Dave? If so, still think it shockingly awful?

I've listened to the first 5 or 6 (for as long as I could) and they're not for me. I prefer vocals.

12 minutes ago, daved said:

I've listened to the first 5 or 6 (for as long as I could) and they're not for me. I prefer vocals.

Yeah I know what you mean, I only started to appreciate Jazz later in life and it can be an acquired taste.

Posted (edited)

The track i'm putting up is described as Jazz/Rock so assume will fit in here well i hope, I have Put this track up else where but may have been missed, A track to listen to right through for you to appreciate as some really nice horn work as well as the thought provoking lyrics, I hope you enjoy, Thanks, Rick

Edited by RICK SCOTT
spelling correction

1 hour ago, Mickey Finn said:

Another of my favourite pianists without a doubt. His 1982 LP with Phyllis Hyman is well worth getting hold of, although the Phyllis tracks are also featured on the Expansion comp of her guest appearances and unreleased tracks released in 2003. This track, by now a classic, is taken from one of the albums released by the newly reactivated Blue Note label in 1985, featuring Marcus Miller on bass:

Never heard this. Thank you brother. 

Let's get one thing straight. Jazz happened, like Blues music, it shaped all music that followed wether you like it or not! I'm sorry for people who have no sense of cultural history. Soul could not have happened without precedent of previous form. Sometimes I throw up both my hands. 

2 minutes ago, themroc said:

Never heard this. Thank you brother. 

The track appears on various releases in different versions - it's been a live favourite for many years now. I had the great privilege of seeing him at the Royal Festival Hall in 1990 as part of the Capital Radio Jazz Festival - a bit of a mystery how Capital Radio ever became associated with jazz, but that's another story.

The album above is quite short - 6 tracks in all - and bass duties are shared 3 for Miller, 3 for Ron Carter, and Jackie McLean  appears on only 4 tracks. The closing track "Travelin'" was a favourite of the much missed Sean O'Connor of Morecambe Seaside Soul Club fame.

21 minutes ago, themroc said:

Let's get one thing straight. Jazz happened, like Blues music, it shaped all music that followed wether you like it or not! I'm sorry for people who have no sense of cultural history. Soul could not have happened without precedent of previous form. Sometimes I throw up both my hands. 

I had a long post written out on this for another thread and it got binned because I thought better of it. Or so I thought.

The connecting thread is the black American experience, which gave us the blues, from which all else from soul to hip hop, be bop, hard bop, funk, disco, r&b, etc. comes. Miles Davis was pretty clear about this even during his freak out period - see Leonard Feather's liner notes to the "Star People" album from 1983. There's some pretty far out stuff on that but the blues as connecting thread remains very much intact.

29 minutes ago, themroc said:

Let's get one thing straight. Jazz happened, like Blues music, it shaped all music that followed wether you like it or not! 

Yep-Jazz is everywhere and it's influence permeates into most music genres without a doubt.

This fella liked my Soul Source username so much he titled one of his tracks after it...:)

I've never been a massive lover of Jazz vocal tracks but there are obviously many great exceptions to that particular style.

This is a good example of Jazz with vocals done really well in my opinion..Mark Murphy lends his talents to this song of Herb Geller's while the band cook up some absolute killer arrangements.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.