Chris Turnbull

Your Top Jazz Tracks?

22 minutes ago, Spain pete said:

Jazz.  Nice , a few of my favorite things robbk . Nice! 👌👍👏🎶🎶🎶

Most of these were also played on the Soul stations in Chicago, Detroit, L.A. and The San Francisco Bay Area.  My parents were big Jazz fans.  I started listening to it from birth.

Sonny Fortune 'The Afro Americans'  from the Serengeti Minstrel lp released by Atlantic Records in 1977.

I love this fellas playing,not sure if many people will know his stuff but he's definitely overlooked in Jazz circles in my opinion..why that is I honestly don't know, his musicianship and compositions are top notch. 

11 hours ago, RobbK said:

Great one! I likes a lot the first - mid 70's Crusaders stuff, a nice fusion of Jazz - Rock, when they were Wayne Henderson, Joe sample, Stix Hooper, Wilton Felder and rock guitarist Larry Carlton. Here's my favorite track from my absolute favorite Crusader's album, "Chain reaction" (ABC / Blue Thumb, 1976), "Allucinate":

Hey, Robb, I'm "Manny" on the legendary Soulful Detroit Forum. A question to you, please: do you knows what happens with this forum? I can't connect to, since a year ago and it's impossible to found any info on the web (!!!??). A great salute, "my old friend"!

13 hours ago, RobbK said:

And:

Hugh Masekela what can you say? It's, for me, Going In Circles which has me on my knees sobbing like a child or this. 

Which is so sassy and upbeat! 

And while we're on topic another African Queen 

Just won this on Blue Note 45 for $6! Am sitting by the letter box as we speak 😀

I love the sounds of[Wes Montgomery]..Down Here On The Ground..Small Group Recordings..Wes And His Brothers..California Dreaming.

Here's another jazz favorite of mine since my teens: "La fiesta" by Chick Corea that I have since I was aged 15 years - old on my copy of "Return To Forever" on ECM.

I should to say that little after I started to buy Soul 45's, k-7's and LP's at 13 years-old, I started to buy also my first jazz and fusion albums that, if my memory works correctly, in chronological order, were these ones: "Return To Forever" (Chick Corea); "Solar Wind" (Ramsey Lewis); "Live in L.A. (Vols. 1 & 2)" (CTI All-Stars); "The Aura Will prevail" (George Duke); "Secrets" (Herbie Hancock); "Deodato 2" (Eumir Deodato); "Chain Reaction" and "Southern Comfort" (2 x Lp, The Crusaders)... and are until today among my jazz and fusion favorites.

9 minutes ago, soul shrews said:

As is Mr Bishop

Cheers Paul

Fantastic! What people have to get there head around is the piano is a percussion instrument. Great bass playing BTW 😊

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.