Chris Turnbull

Your Top Jazz Tracks?

Posted (edited)

Grover Washington Jr 'Masterpiece' from the' Soul Box Vol 1' lp Kudu Records 1973.

An absolutely Inspirational recording for me with this one.

Around 1980 my older brother decided he was gonna take up the saxophone and bought a tenor instrument and a bunch of sax related albums including this one by GW...long story short he gave up after 8 months or so and the sax was sold and the records left on the shelf which I then claimed a little later on ..I've been grooving to this ever since and it still gives me the chills even now. 

Gary Bartz 'Celestial Blues' from the 'Harlem Bush Music-Taifa' lp Milestone Records 1970.

Gary Bartz with NTU Troop featuring Andy Bey on vocals..stirring stuff for the soul..straight,no chaser.

Edited by Soulsides

Gotta love Mr Bey you just can't pin him down

Already posted River Man, written by Nick drake, but this one recorded with his sisters really shows his vocal range. 

Larry Willis 'Out On The Coast' from the 'Inner Crisis' lp Groove Merchant Records 1973.

Larry Willis laying it down, a huge slab of Funky Street Jazz with one seriously hot groove.

Ralph Towner 'Nimbus' from the 'Solstice' lp ECM Records 1975.

This particular track 'Nimbus' is amongst my very top Jazz tracks ..the playing from the ensemble here is exceptional.

Featuring Eberhard Weber on electric double bass, an artist who's solo records are superb..I think I have at least 20 of them in my collection.

I have a lot of respect for the ECM label, their releases are consistently good and are beautifully recorded ,a record company with real class and Integrity.

3 hours ago, Soulsides said:

Larry Willis 'Out On The Coast' from the 'Inner Crisis' lp Groove Merchant Records 1973.

Larry Willis laying it down, a huge slab of Funky Street Jazz with one seriously hot groove.

Ralph Towner 'Nimbus' from the 'Solstice' lp ECM Records 1975.

This particular track 'Nimbus' is amongst my very top Jazz tracks ..the playing from the ensemble here is exceptional.

Featuring Eberhard Weber on electric double bass, an artist who's solo records are superb..I think I have at least 20 of them in my collection.

I have a lot of respect for the ECM label, their releases are consistently good and are beautifully recorded ,a record company with real class and Integrity.

Well I guess a slab sandwich needs a filling... 

MY F'KIN DAYS!!! New recordings of John Coltrane show up. Sonny Rollins recons it's like a new room being discovered in the Great Pyramid. Any news keep us posted 😀

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.