GLOCKENSPIEL 😂

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted

My favorite from Mongo 

soul source url
Posted

So many on Strata East records but this gets most plays here. With Dee Dee Bridgewater on lead vocals - saw her at Ronnie Scotts this weekend - superb!

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, josep manuel concernau robles said:

Great one! I likes a lot the first - mid 70's Crusaders stuff, a nice fusion of Jazz - Rock, when they were Wayne Henderson, Joe sample, Stix Hooper, Wilton Felder and rock guitarist Larry Carlton. Here's my favorite track from my absolute favorite Crusader's album, "Chain reaction" (ABC / Blue Thumb, 1976), "Allucinate":

Hey, Robb, I'm "Manny" on the legendary Soulful Detroit Forum. A question to you, please: do you knows what happens with this forum? I can't connect to, since a year ago and it's impossible to found any info on the web (!!!??). A great salute, "my old friend"!

av-5.jpg

Hi Manny!  Soulful Detroit is still going strong.  Here is the URL for the home page:

https://soulfuldetroit.com/forum.php

You may not be able to sign in.  If so, click on "contact us", then on "contact moderator Ralph Terrana".  Ralph will tell you how to register again.

Edited by RobbK
  • Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Loving the choices so far, a lot of them are new to me. Anyhoo, did someone mention Eddie Harris.....

Strap yourselves in....Bernard Purdy's all over this one.

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Eddie Henderson 'Involuntary Bliss'..love the chilled out vibe of this track.

Its taken from the rather excellent 'Sunburst' album released on Blue Note 1975.

Taking things up a notch for an absolutely corking big band version of Hendrix's 'Crosstown Traffic' from The Gil Evans Orchestra 'Plays The Music Of Jimi Hendrix' lp.

RCA records 1974 & re-released with extra tracks in 1988.

Edited by Soulsides
  • Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Been unable to do this for a few days, so some catching up needed. Staying with the piano players, here's Michel Petrucciani from 1991:

soul source url
Posted

Joe Sample ranks as one of my all time heroes. He has recorded as part of the Crusaders in various line-ups, solo, and as a session player in so many releases it almost defies counting. He appears on Wilton Felder's solo LP from 1987 "Love is a rush", and plays like you've never heard him on the opening track "4 o'clock". Sadly that's not available. However, his own 1987 MCA album "Roles" is one of my desert island discs, from which this comes:

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

George Duke did his unfair share of commercial fodder and formula funk, but he could let rip, as in this from 1979:

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Ending this run of tunes for now is pianist Cedar Walton, who appears alongside Art Blakey, George Benson and Percy Heath all backing the wonderful Dexter Gordon, who just oozes the blues. This the title track from Gordon's 1981 LP Gotham City, released at a time when Benson was scoring big chart success and popping up in various straight ahead bop sessions as a guest:

Edited by Mickey Finn
  • Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Two giants on a very small stage

soul source url
Posted

Only just seen this thread, soz if already posted, bit o mod jazz anyone? 

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Guest Spain pete profile photo
Posted

The dude.    donald Byrd 👌🎶🎶. Wonderful. ! tight  rhythms 🎶👍

soul source url
Posted

Another Black Jazz favourite from me today

Cheers Paul

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted
18 hours ago, themroc said:

Two giants on a very small stage

Great!

Did you see the documentary about Latin music in New York (mostly Fania) a week or two ago?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00qjnxf/latin-music-usa-2-salsa

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

My pick for the day just about fits into the jazz category but is a beautiful and uplifiting song none the less.

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted (edited)

My favourite from the sidewinder LP:

Edited by marshman
  • Up vote 4

soul source url
Posted
32 minutes ago, Jimmy Disco D said:

Did you see the documentary about Latin music in New York (mostly Fania) a week or two ago?

Good shout on BBC doc thanks, missed that before

soul source url
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jimmy Disco D said:

Great!

No will definitely watch tonight mate, cheers. 

Edited by themroc

soul source url
Posted

I'll stick with the sax players for a while now ... this from the 1991 album "Live at Birdland West" on Atlantic, in the days when that label still had a decent jazz roster, here's Gerald Albright taking an already good tune from an earlier solo LP and making it great - featuring Onaje Allen Gumbs on piano and the great Patrick Moten on synths:

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

On the topic of great sax players here's another classic from the Blue note stable - Wayne Shorter with James Spaulder on alto & tenor sax:

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Great thread Chris Turnbull!

More spiritual jazz vibes on the Black Jazz label this time from Jean (and Doug) Carn(e): 

Edited by marshman
  • Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted
6 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Good shout on BBC doc thanks, missed that before

I've seen it.  It is excellent.  I learned a lot.

soul source url
Posted

My contribution for today.

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

Great thread; along with the 'jazz funk one' elsewhere.

Current fave of mine ; Right up to date recent release from The Expansions, good good album. One that smacks you in the chops after 3 or 4 plays.

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

and another fairly recent one, from an epic 3x12" set in 2015.

Shades of Black Jazz, Strata East....... Its a bloody rich seam, lovely.

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

Another great thread . 

Wasn’t sure which track or artist to choose until I got an email today that Stanley Clarke is coming to London again in November . Not as good a venue as last time I saw him a couple of years ago at the Jazz Cafe but Festival Hall on the Southbank this time . 

So many to choose from but like his early stuff the best . 

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted
15 minutes ago, stevegods said:

Wasn’t sure which track or artist to choose until I got an email today that Stanley Clarke is coming to London again in November 

That whole lp is a great solo record of his...the album version of 'Vulcan Worlds' is outstandingly good.

I hear a lot of bassists who try to emulate Stanley Clarke but never quite seem to get it quite spot on.

As a bassist and composer he's probably a lot more influential than he's ever given credit for, to be honest.

This is a masterclass with RTF.

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
28 minutes ago, stevegods said:

Another great thread . 

Wasn’t sure which track or artist to choose until I got an email today that Stanley Clarke is coming to London again in November . Not as good a venue as last time I saw him a couple of years ago at the Jazz Cafe but Festival Hall on the Southbank this time . 

Just catching up on here again and totally love this - had to have the vinyl so just been trawling discogs and got one for £6 plus post - what a bargain. Great post, thanks

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Contribution from me today, David Newman 'The 13th Floor' (Atlantic)

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted (edited)

One of my brothers favourite.. 

Edited by themroc
  • Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

Once you pop you just can't stop😊 A lot of people don't like the Tutu LP and it's hard to live up to your own legend but I must of worn my way through 3 copies of this and it's pure DUB. I played it to Jah Shaka and it fliped  him.. 

What did you folk think of the recent film? 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Another one from Bob James 

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Gonna keep this thread going as it’s made me start playing some old LPs again .

This was a track I used to get wasted to as a kid , and remember one night in my mums front room 3 of us just listening to this with a big spliff and thinkin the room light is too bright . No lamp or dimmer back then so took my shirt off and wrapped it over the shade . Big mistake , as we soon where really smokin !! 

Ahh those heady days 

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted
9 hours ago, Soulsides said:

That whole lp is a great solo record of his...the album version of 'Vulcan Worlds' is outstandingly good.

I hear a lot of bassists who try to emulate Stanley Clarke but never quite seem to get it quite spot on.

As a bassist and composer he's probably a lot more influential than he's ever given credit for, to be honest.

This is a masterclass with RTF.

One of my fav Jazz albums of all time , love this track 

Saw them not so long ago at the Indigo 02 and still sounded great . 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, themroc said:

One of my brothers favourite.. 

Where do I start with this one... the mighty 'Nautilus' hehe !?? 

I got into Bob James' music through Hip Hop tracks like Eric B & Rakim's 'Follow The Leader' and others like Run DMC who were sampling bits of his stuff back in the day

He's actually been sampled more times than James Brown which is pretty amazing.

About a year ago we had a sample flip beat battle challenge of the Bob James' 'One lp' on the DJ forum I'm a member of and it was wicked to see how people came up with loads of new ideas from a source material that's rightly considered one of the holy grails of Hip Hop production.

My flip was Bobs  'Night On Bald Mountain'  I seem to recall...:)

9 hours ago, themroc said:

😊

I played it to Jah Shaka and it fliped  him.. 

Whoa !!.

"the" Jah Shaka ??..holy macaroons ,that's dope ! 

58 minutes ago, stevegods said:

One of my fav Jazz albums of all time , love this track

Saw them not so long ago at the Indigo 02 and still sounded great . 

Gaahhh !!

Live ??

I hate you now Steve..I'm well jealous ! 

Oh, this marvellous thread...

Far too much excitement, this early in the morning !

Think I'm going back to the Hip Hop forums now for a good lie down ! 

Edit-

I'll just drop this one in first though, which I forgot to include in this post .

Brand X 'Euthanasia Waltz' from the 'Unorthodox Behaviour' lp .

Charisma Records 1976.

Edited by Soulsides
  • Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

Violin didn’t get much of a look in but Jean Luc Ponty hit the right notes on a few albums .

and when you mix Stanley Clarke and  Al Di Meola into the mix ..

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Welcome to Doug and Jean Carns "Lil Bs Poem" a long time Black Jazz favourite

Cheers Paul

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Nice ones by you' all! "Nautylus" is "da bomb" (my second groove favorite by Bob James after "One Mint's Julep"), Return To Forever feat. Chick Corea,... 70's fusion is an immense and unexplored field!

Here's another one that captivated me since I hear it for the first time, O'Donel Levy's "Bad Bad Symba"

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted
32 minutes ago, josep manuel concernau robles said:

Nice ones by you' all! "Nautylus" is "da bomb" (my second groove favorite by Bob James after "One Mint's Julep"), Return To Forever feat. Chick Corea,... 70's fusion is an immense and unexplored field!

Here's another one that captivated me since I hear it for the first time, O'Donel Levy's "Bad Bad Symba"

MONUMENTAL!! 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Back to the “Mod-Jazz” sounds (whatever that means exactly) and a very crackly unlabelled acetate from my own collection. It’s a version of the James Brown instrumental “Choo-choo”. 

Definitely sounds like it was recorded live, and with just one mic and crap equipment, and probably done in a basement or garage - or if the group was lucky - a dive bar. Regardless of sound quality, it’s a great little time capsule. And the group has something - I’d love to know who they were...

Edited by Russell Gilbert
  • Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
8 minutes ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Back to the “Mod-Jazz” sounds (whatever that means exactly) and a very crackly unlabelled acetate from my own collection. It’s a version of the James Brown instrumental “Choo-choo”. 

Definitely sounds like it was recorded live, and with with just one mike and crap equipment, and probably done in a basement or garage - or if the group was lucky - a dive bar. Regardless of sound quality, it’s a great little time capsule. And the group has something - I’d love to know who they were...

I might be completely wrong but this sounds Jamaican to me?? Earnest Ranglin and Rico Rodriguez? 

soul source url
Posted

But anyhoo here's a lovely late night lullaby and my song for my father.. 

PEACE BE WITH YOU. 

soul source url
Posted

You guys have done a great job on this thread. Not had time to give it the attention it deserves yet, but I will do,

Creat sharing. 

Thanks.

p

I’m tired. 

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted
3 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

You guys have done a great job on this thread. Not had time to give it the attention it deserves yet, but I will do,

Creat sharing. 

Thanks.

p

I’m tired. 

It's all our pleasure brother. 

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

soul source url
Posted
8 hours ago, themroc said:

I might be completely wrong but this sounds Jamaican to me?? Earnest Ranglin and Rico Rodriguez

I sort of get where you're coming from with the trombone sound, but don't believe it's Jamaican. The trombone was a very popular instrument once upon a time, so lots of jazz musicians playing it back then, perhaps inspired by the long-lasting success of Tommy Dorsey and his orchestra way back when.

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Still, a damn fine tune! 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Tony Williams Lifetime 'Fred' from the 'Believe It' lp Columbia Records 1975.

Featuring the late great Alan Holdsworth on guitar,a true virtuoso if ever there was one.

'Believe It' is a tremendous album and though I'm usually loathe to recommend cd's I would with this one as there's some great bonus tracks on the cd issue of this lp.

Billy Cobham 'Moon Germs' from the 'Total Eclipse' lp Atlantic Records 1974.

I think Billy Cobham's early solo records are really good,he totally stepped out of the shadows of The Mahavishnu Orchestra , with whom he'd struggled to have his compositions accepted and performed but I believe his early records are equally as good as anything Mahavishnu released in the 70's.

soul source url
Posted

Duke Ellington - 1962 - from the album Afro-Bossa...

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Guest profile photo