Chris Turnbull's profile photo

Your Top Jazz Tracks?

Audio Lists Chris Turnbull

Posted
47 minutes ago, Soulsides said:

I believe his early records are equally as good as anything Mahavishnu released in the 70's.

Better if you ask me!

• Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted

Regarding earlier conversations in the thread....

I received my Idris Muhammad "Power of Soul" yesterday.... wow. I'm going to stick my neck out and say it's my favourite Bob James outing, and my favourite Grover Washington stuff, and my favourite Kudu release. With good pair of headphones and a relaxing "cigarette" it blew my mind. Cheers Themroc.

Regarding the merits of Stanley Clarke who was discussed earlier, I just thought I'd mention that he's responsible for the heavy bassline on the Charles Rouse track I posted.

Here's a nice 2017 release from Finland. Puts me in mind of my favourite era of Blue Note records.....

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Staying with the sax players for this, my all time favourite is Stanley Turrentine, whose tone is unmistakeable and very expressive. He did the solo on Will Downing's great version of "A love supreme". Here he is on a session from 1992 with a cracking lineup, including Cedar Walton and Freddie Hubbard, on a tune in honour of his brother Tommy:

soul source url
Posted

And speaking of Freddie Hubbard, this from 1982:

soul source url
Posted

And a year later, on a live LP on Fantasy Records that seems to have been repackaged and re-released, a classic Hubbard original:

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Since we're on a Bob James tip here, he did one album with Freddie Hubbard in 1976 that seems not to have been a success as far as their working relationship was concerned. Freddie was in the middle of a more commercial run of LPs for Columbia and this album was probably the most commercial, but it did have this pretty intense number:

soul source url
Posted
3 hours ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Duke Ellington - 1962 - from the album Afro-Bossa...

Love The Duke and I love the hard and heavy drumming he used., you just don't hear that style of percussion much in latter jazz. I know the drummer isn't Gene Kruper but, 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

I do think that Jazz sorta become too cool? 

soul source url
Posted

gonna say it again; great thread my friends, nice one.  

Another one from me here : 2014 release on Gondwana. Straight outta Manchester

Got a nice stable of releases. 

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted
6 hours ago, Jimmy Disco D said:

Regarding earlier conversations in the thread....

I received my Idris Muhammad "Power of Soul" yesterday.... wow. I'm going to stick my neck out and say it's my favourite Bob James outing, and my favourite Grover Washington stuff, and my favourite Kudu release. With good pair of headphones and a relaxing "cigarette" it blew my mind. Cheers Themroc.

Regarding the merits of Stanley Clarke who was discussed earlier, I just thought I'd mention that he's responsible for the heavy bassline on the Charles Rouse track I posted.

Here's a nice 2017 release from Finland. Puts me in mind of my favourite era of Blue Note records.....

And what ever happened to Hammond organs? Are musicians getting g to lazy to hump round Lesney cabinets? It's a hot potato, CATCH!! 

soul source url
Posted

a fave of mine since buying the 12 way back when, 1993 from Jonathon in Arcade records Nottingham. 

Italian but we haven't even moved onto any Schema releases yet.......

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

One for the guitar lovers out there .. and I’ve bought 3 copies of this over the years for friends , as it’s something that should be shared 

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Good to see Freddie Hubbard getting some well deserved mentions. A favourite of mine

Cheers Paul

soul source url
Posted
49 minutes ago, stevegods said:

One for the guitar lovers out there .. and I’ve bought 3 copies of this over the years for friends , as it’s something that should be shared 

There is no part of the world our music can't reach. Paco, Spain Gypsy culture. Makes the hairs on my arms stand up. LIMITLESS! Good call my brother. 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
9 hours ago, themroc said:

And what ever happened to Hammond organs? Are musicians getting g to lazy to hump round Lesney cabinets? It's a hot potato, CATCH!! 

What do you expect from Suomi Soul???

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Classic live album from 1981 and another great compilation of Jazz artists .

bit long I know 

6210BA4A-76CE-465D-A988-1BEFA6D51C5A.jpeg

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Nice to see John McLaughlin getting some love in this thread,he's a bit of a musical hero of mine,a very original and super talented musician.

Mahavishnu Orchestra 'Sister Andrea' from 'The Lost Trident Sessions' lp 1999 Columbia Records. 

From sessions originally recorded in June 1973 at Trident Studios but not released until 26 years later. According to the album's detailed liner notes, in 1998 Columbia Records producer Bob Belden stumbled upon two quarter-inch tapes in Columbia's Los Angeles vault whilst gathering material for a remastered reissue of the Mahavishnu Orchestra's 1973 album Birds of Fire. The tapes were otherwise unlabelled besides the recording location, but upon further inspection, they were revealed to be the two-track mixes for what would have been the Mahavishnu Orchestra's third studio album at the time.

Absolutely blistering Moog soloing by Jan Hammer on this. 

Mahavishnu Orchestra 'Radio Activity' from the 'Mahavishnu' lp Warner Brothers records 1984.

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Decided the best way to check these out properly was to download some and go for a run. So I did last night and was totally blown away - some amazing stuff posted. Here's what I listened to - mind now completely blown 😀

Stanley Clarke - The Dancer
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior
Return to Forever - Sorceress
O'Donel Levy - Bad, Bad, Simba
Brand X - Euthanasia Waltz
Tony Williams - Fred
Christian Prommer - Strings of Life
Christian Prommer - Can you feel it
Kamasi Washington - Change of the Guard
Kamasi Washington - The Rhythm Changes
Bob James - Nautilus

Keep 'em coming 😵

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted
On 11/05/2018 at 19:01, stevegods said:

Well here I is again can't put this thread down. Gypsy music at its best! 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Some wonderful interplay between Miles and the Cannonball with some sublime drums from the great Blakey

Cheers Paul

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Original version .....

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Funny I was just about to post some Gabor Szabo earlier then got waylaid, so here it is now, the beautiful Galatea's Guitar

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted (edited)

True fusion style from Joe Harriott, London via JA and Amancio D'Silva of Goan descent.

Edited by JStarr
  • Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Smooth cover version of the Bunny Sigler song....

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

Melting pot. 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

IMG_1314.JPG.90e2d1c00c6103ea9b93f32377337b92.JPGWho's the fat lad with 'Silk' Tulip? Great to see people on this site listening to 'the West Coast Get Down'. Saw Kamasi in Manchester a couple of years back but this is in the CD store at Cheltenham Jazz Festival a couple of weeks back. He was introduced as 'the biggest thing in Jazz at the moment' and I don't think it was offensive. This is probably the best chance ever for a successful fusion of jazz with hip-hop. 'Epic' is exactly what it says so the best track for me is Re Run Home. The EP Harmony of Difference is good from start to finish and there's a new album in June.

Also check out upright bass player Miles Mosley' - wearing signature beret (the other is WCGD drummer Tony Austin) - album Uprising, track Abraham. 

There's also an album by keyboardist Cameron Graves,  as well as close associates Kendrick Lamarr, largely considered the current hip-hopper closest to jazz, John Coltrane great nephew - producer Flying Lotus, and Bootsy reincarnation Thundercat.

IMG_1311.JPG.85e6456e877f2ee0928c24cf64c41bf2.JPG

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted (edited)

link not working so deleted the post. Sorry.

will give it another go......

Edited by neiljon31
link not working - post deleted

soul source url
Posted

ok,

cool Lp cut from 2016. On the 22a label some of the 45's going for a bob or two already. New album soon and I for one am really looking forward to it. 

soul source url
Posted
11 minutes ago, neiljon31 said:

ok,

cool Lp cut from 2016. On the 22a label some of the 45's going for a bob or two already. New album soon and I for one am really looking forward to it. 

Love The tune, love the sumptuous title but don't you think the technology ruins the whole thing? I'm not trying to be difficult or argumentative but it sounds like the whole tune is based on a progressive drum loop? And I don't believe he's playing that flute underwater? 

Nick x

soul source url
Posted

I'm diggin' it Nick. Yep you could be right on the technology and how it takes the first part of the track particularly ; once the flute kicks in its got me. Cant see any bubbles so suspect it ain't being played underwater. Part of the appeal is it feels pretty fresh, though I guess there may be split opinion on that, plus the fact that a bunch of people seem to have something cool going on thats gathering some momentum. It all kind of stacks up and takes me off somewhere when I play it. Maybe works best as part of the 6 track 12.

Its all about opinion and theres no right or wrong, love the discussion. I'm loving this thread and the previous jazz funk thread. Its a broad church and hallelujah to that my friend. Peace and Love.

soul source url
Posted
1 minute ago, neiljon31 said:

I'm diggin' it Nick. Yep you could be right on the technology and how it takes the first part of the track particularly ; once the flute kicks in its got me. Cant see any bubbles so suspect it ain't being played underwater. Part of the appeal is it feels pretty fresh, though I guess there may be split opinion on that, plus the fact that a bunch of people seem to have something cool going on thats gathering some momentum. It all kind of stacks up and takes me off somewhere when I play it. Maybe works best as part of the 6 track 12.

Its all about opinion and theres no right or wrong, love the discussion. I'm loving this thread and the previous jazz funk thread. Its a broad church and hallelujah to that my friend. Peace and Love.

Make you right brother. I have this whole industry driven thing in my head. Its just cheaper to produce a tune in a room than employ a bunch of musicians and create an atmosphere that's tangable. 

PEACE PILGRIM. 

God I sound pompous!!! 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
On 02/05/2018 at 11:09, Chris Turnbull said:

Listened to Jamie Cullum last night and started thinking about favourite jazz tunes - have played quite a lot over the years, some of which is right up there for me.

Tip of a very large iceberg though and would love to hear recommendations - any top tips / particular favourites? Have posted a few of mine below to kick off:-

Ella - Bewitched/ Coltrane-Nancy/Grover-Mr Magic(Live @Bijou)

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Curt Cress Clan 'Fields' from the 'CCC' lp Atlantic Records 1975.

Some very nice Jazz from Germany..although hardly a household name Curt Cress has taken part in about 12,000 published recordings sold on at least 400 million records.He has worked as a member of several bands including Klaus Doldinger's Passport a band which released some pretty stellar Jazz Fusion albums in the 70's.

Another musical hero of mine is  producer extraordinaire, David Axelrod with 'Song Of Innocence' from the 'Song Of Innocence' lp Capitol Records 1968.

Although Song of Innocence was very innovative for its application of Jazz,Rock and R&B  techniques, it was not commercially successful and confounded contemporary critics, who viewed it as an ambitious curiosity piece. In the 1990s, critics reassessed the album as a classic, while Hip Hop and Electronica musicians rediscovered and sampled the album's music. "Holy Thursday", the record's best-known song, was frequently sampled by Hip Hop producers.

Earl Palmer,Carol Kaye and Howard Roberts are amongst the amazing line up of musicians who played on  'Song Of Innocence' and it's follow up lp 'Song Of Experience'.Both albums are a trip,a real smorgasbord for the ears and I'd highly recommend them.

Edited by Soulsides
  • Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Here's my favorite track from the only album by Yellow Sunshine combo (feat. dexter Wansel); IMHO, the best jazz - rock fusion from the entire PIR catalogue:

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

A big change from his usual output ...

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

My Gal just sent me this so thought I'd forward to all you good folk. 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Love this one - Nat Adderley 'Grey Moss' from 1969 LP Calling Out Loud 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Fine U.K.Jazz from the Michael Garrick Trio with 'First Born' from the 'Cold Mountain' lp.

Argo Records 1972.

And Johnny Griffin blowing up a storm on 'Olive Refractions' from 'The Little Giant' lp.

Riverside Records 1959.

Edited by Soulsides
  • Up vote 4

soul source url
Posted
5 hours ago, Soulsides said:

Fine U.K.Jazz from the Michael Garrick Trio with 'First Born' from the Cold Mountain lp Argo Records 1972.

And Johnny Griffin blowing up a storm on 'Olive Refractions' from 'The Little Giant' lp Riverside Records 1959.

That Michael Garrick is sublime such a lightness of touch! In fact I'm gonna play it again😁 HAPPY WEEKEND PEOPLE. 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Did someone mention Cumbia? No? well take this anyway... 

Got most of my top dance moves from this guy 😀

soul source url
Posted

Here's one of my favorites from the Kuddu / CTI catalogue and my favorite from the "I Hear A Symphony" album by Hank Crawford

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

And from a  sax player to a fantastic drummer, Mr. "C" (aka Norman Connors); many of his music reminds me to another great, Lonnie Liston Smith as I considerer they are both good examples of "spiritual jazz"

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
8 hours ago, themroc said:

That Michael Garrick is sublime such a lightness of touch! In fact I'm gonna play it again😁

Same here, lovely stuff. Just been trying to find the LP but looks like a hard one

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Been a while but heres some more Mr Tyner genious

More percussive piano😀😀

Cheers Paul

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

IMG_1389.JPG.bcea0354b61c6a708bf13486f0367e07.JPG   John McLaughlin live in Chicago last November.

Many people really rate his debut album Extrapolation, but the only pre-Orchestra album I really like is My Goals Beyond. The debut Mahavishnu Orchestra , (MO) album Inner Mounting Flame is a good album and its follow-up Birds of Fire is much the same but with a couple of killers in One Word and Open Country Joy. 

If you read any of the literature on MO, McLaughlin or Jazz Rock Fusion, it's live that this band really changed lives. As a twelve year old rocker in 1973, it was way over my head, but I knew something extraordinary was happening, courtesy a musician of staggering, super-human virtuosity and intensity.

Due to the usual wrangling, the third album didn't turn up for three decades, by which time it had become the Lost Trident Sessions, but in 1973, to fulfil their contractual obligation, a live version of it entitled Between Nothingness and Eternity came out and maybe gives the best experience of this legendary band.

My favourite MO album (and his) is Vision of the Emerald Beyond from mk 2, featuring French violin monster Jean Luc Ponty and an amazing young drummer called Michael Walden who, like Mahavishnu John McLaughlin and Devadip Carlos Santana, became Narada Michael Walden, courtesy dodgy guru Sri Chinmoy.

McLaughlins latest band - the Fourth Dimension - are his best since Shakti and the rockiest since MO. At the London Jazz Festival in 2015 they played one of the tracks from the debut MO album, paving the way for a farewell tour of America, playing the music of MO which, for my jazz/rock guitar wielding firstborn and I was, to use that irritating expression, a no brainer.

Other McLaughlin albums well worth a listen are:

MO Mk 2 - Apocalypse featuring an orchestra and produced by George Martin, producer of the Goons.

Shakti - Natural Elements. Best of the Shakti albums and completely essential.

Electric Guitarist, Electric Dreams, Belo Horizonte and Que Allegro.

Any of the 4th Dimension albums.IMG_1391.JPG.24abf4c1db9d1b7b5bc99ecc346bbab8.JPG

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
48 minutes ago, soul shrews said:

Been a while but heres some more Mr Tyner genious

More percussive piano😀😀

Cheers Paul

Perfect end to a glorious weekend, tho, now I could do another right now. 😊 God I hate the bit between weekends!! 

soul source url
Posted

Until such time people....

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Two of my favourite cuts by Pierre Moerlen's Gong , a group not often associated with Jazz but by the mid 70's the band had changed their musical direction completely.

This album features an all-instrumental jazz-driven sound, which has little to do with the psychedelic space rock of Daevid Allen's Gong, even though the two bands share a common history. 

Alan Holdsworth features on guitar to great effect on this.

From the 'Gazeuse!' lp Virgin Records 1976.

Gong released 'Expresso 2' as the follow up album, Darryl Way plays some stunning violin licks on this track and the groove is terrific with a real nice gypsy Jazz fusion vibe going down here.

Virgin Records 1978.

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Them bones, them crazy bones... 

soul source url
Posted

Don' think this has been listed yet (?)...

soul source url
Guest\