Chris Turnbull profile photo

Your Top Jazz Tracks?

Posted

Now I hate to qualify a post, but, skip the first one and a half minutes of this because what comes next is sheer beauty .. 

Now if I was to do radio or a podcast this is how I imagine it would happen. If this doesn't put a smile on your face then your technically dead. 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Way back home is just a great track. When BB did it (produced by Joe Sample) he called it Take it Home, which didn't really make sense.

Earlier discussion re Little Sunflower; does everybody know both versions? The 79 version with Al Jarreau is just one of those records (like Why I came to California) that, if more people knew it, would displace garbage like Imagine and Bohemian Rhopsody as the greatest songs ever.

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, stevesilktulip said:

Earlier discussion re Little Sunflower; does everybody know both versions? The 79 version with Al Jarreau 

I don't particularly like the Al Jarreau version with the vocals personally.

Milt Jackson's cover is the best interpretation of 'Sunflower' in my humble opinion.

 

Billy Brooks '40 Days' from the 'Windows Of The World' lp  Crossover Records 1974.

This is a track that I love to bits and as cool and trendy as I like to think I am, I'll happily admit that the first time I heard this was when A Tribe Called Quest sampled it on 'Luck Of Lucien' in 1990.

Herman Riley's sax break at 01.21 is an absolute peach.

The album also has Ray Charles in the producers chair,no less. 

 

Rusty Bryant with the title track from the 'Fire Eater' lp Prestige Records 1971. 

Rusty Bryant cooking on full burners for this one..the whole track comes together so nicely with blistering solos all round and an incendiary drum break at 07'52 courtesy of Idris Muhammad who had to be hosed down with a fire extinguisher afterwards rumour has it...:D

Hot stuff indeed.

Edited by Soulsides
  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Must give that a listen. Al Jarreau a bit smooth jazz for some, but I love it.

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

One of the problems with Soul folk listening to jazz is that jazz isn't like Soul, in that the best stuff are the ones nobody knows and, while I don't share the view of jazz people that all jazz rock/ funk/ fusion/ dance/ acid etc is rubbish, or at best second-rate, nor should we think the canon is junk.

Louis Armstrong is a good place to start nowadays and has to be the Hot Fives and Sevens from the twenties and thirties, but to some it will just sound ancient.

Duke Ellingtons Blanton Webster band from the late thirties/ early forties is rightly recognised as his greatest but, for more modern ears, Such Sweet Thunder and His Mother Called him Bill are late gems.

Charlie Parker recorded prolifically for three labels but Dial and Savoy are more essential than the Verve sides. Jazz at Massey Hall (sometimes known as Quintet of the Year) is iconic, largely because it's by possibly the greatest small band ever assembled: Diz, Mingus, Bud Powel and Max Roach, but is unremarkable.

Bird is still tagged as modern jazz, but it's really with Miles you can fill your boots. My favourites are Cookin, Round Midnight, Milestones, Kind of Blue, Miles Ahead, Porgy and Bess, Sketches of Spain, ESP, Miles Smiles, Sorcerer, Nefertiti, Miles in the Sky, getting rocky with John McLaughlin on Bitches Brew and Live Evil and getting funky with Michael Henderson on On the Corner.

Some people think John Coltrane is the greatest musician ever, and nobody in history has taken music further than him  For me, the early stuff is just like everybody else but with a phenomenal musician, and the later stuff is 'difficult'; but that period in the middle is truly extraordinary, and I'm not a particular fan of Love Supreme.

My Favourite Things is wonderful and Tyners original solo amongst the most beautiful in music. Impressions is equally brilliant, particularly if you can find one with Dolphy on alto. Africa/ Brass is my favourite album of his but there's also Coltrane (on Impulse), Coltrane Jazz and Coltrane Sound.

Mingus Ah Hum is my favourite jazz album that isn't by Miles, but there's also Pithecanthropus Erectus, Tijuana Moods, Presents, Blues and Roots, Plays Piano and Oh Yea.  

Saxophone Colossus is widely regarded as Sonny Rollins' best album but I prefer Tenor Madness, where he gets to duel with Trane.

Something by Gerry Mulligan, Fats Navarro, Clifford Brown, Cannonball Adderley, Sun Ra, Lester Young, Coleman Hawkins, Ornette Coleman etc etc though I haven't got the hang of Thelonious Monk yet, but I haven't given up.

Black Market is my favourite Weather Report album but really you need them all and my favourite jazz-funk albums are still Crusaders Images (the first I ever bought) and Donald Byrds Blackbyrd and Places and Spaces (precisely the sort of thing jazz purists hate). I also think I should mention Black is the Colour by Wilbert Longmire - never tire of hearing that.

  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, stevesilktulip said:

One of the problems with Soul folk listening to jazz is that jazz isn't like Soul, in that the best stuff are the ones nobody knows and, while I don't share the view of jazz people that all jazz rock/ funk/ fusion/ dance/ acid etc is rubbish, or at best second-rate, nor should we think the canon is junk.

Louis Armstrong is a good place to start nowadays and has to be the Hot Fives and Sevens from the twenties and thirties, but to some it will just sound ancient.

Duke Ellingtons Blanton Webster band from the late thirties/ early forties is rightly recognised as his greatest but, for more modern ears, Such Sweet Thunder and His Mother Called him Bill are late gems.

Charlie Parker recorded prolifically for three labels but Dial and Savoy are more essential than the Verve sides. Jazz at Massey Hall (sometimes known as Quintet of the Year) is iconic, largely because it's by possibly the greatest small band ever assembled: Diz, Mingus, Bud Powel and Max Roach, but is unremarkable.

Bird is still tagged as modern jazz, but it's really with Miles you can fill your boots. My favourites are Cookin, Round Midnight, Milestones, Kind of Blue, Miles Ahead, Porgy and Bess, Sketches of Spain, ESP, Miles Smiles, Sorcerer, Nefertiti, Miles in the Sky, getting rocky with John McLaughlin on Bitches Brew and Live Evil and getting funky with Michael Henderson on On the Corner.

Some people think John Coltrane is the greatest musician ever, and nobody in history has taken music further than him  For me, the early stuff is just like everybody else but with a phenomenal musician, and the later stuff is 'difficult'; but that period in the middle is truly extraordinary, and I'm not a particular fan of Love Supreme.

My Favourite Things is wonderful and Tyners original solo amongst the most beautiful in music. Impressions is equally brilliant, particularly if you can find one with Dolphy on alto. Africa/ Brass is my favourite album of his but there's also Coltrane (on Impulse), Coltrane Jazz and Coltrane Sound.

Mingus Ah Hum is my favourite jazz album that isn't by Miles, but there's also Pithecanthropus Erectus, Tijuana Moods, Presents, Blues and Roots, Plays Piano and Oh Yea.  

Saxophone Colossus is widely regarded as Sonny Rollins' best album but I prefer Tenor Madness, where he gets to duel with Trane.

Something by Gerry Mulligan, Fats Navarro, Clifford Brown, Cannonball Adderley, Sun Ra, Lester Young, Coleman Hawkins, Ornette Coleman etc etc though I haven't got the hang of Thelonious Monk yet, but I haven't given up.

Black Market is my favourite Weather Report album but really you need them all and my favourite jazz-funk albums are still Crusaders Images (the first I ever bought) and Donald Byrds Blackbyrd and Places and Spaces (precisely the sort of thing jazz purists hate). I also think I should mention Black is the Colour by Wilbert Longmire - never tire of hearing that.

Brother your 'tilting at windmills'. Nobody has been critical of anyone's post on this thread. And I agree with a lot you say but music like history is nothing but form. Every sound you hear is an African beat. All is just a progression of what went before, much like human behaviour nothing magically falls from the skys it a dialectical process. 

Good to have the dialogue tho, 

Peace and joy, Nick. 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, stevesilktulip said:

One of the problems with Soul folk listening to jazz is that jazz isn't like Soul

I come from the Jazz world originally through my Grandfather's influence, he had a massive collection from Trad to modern,Fusion and beyond and those were the records that he played to me as a young teenager and impressionable young musician just starting out, everything else was a continuation of that more or less..I definitely came to appreciate Soul,Funk & Fusion etcetera through the back door so to speak. My appreciation for Northern Soul also came much later.

 

1 hour ago, stevesilktulip said:

Duke Ellingtons Blanton Webster band from the late thirties/ early forties is rightly recognised as his greatest but, for more modern ears, Such Sweet Thunder and His Mother Called him Bill are late gems.

The music of Ellington is ground zero for me,again this is down to my dear old grandad's influence as he absolutely worshipped the man, along with the music of Count Basie.

The thirties stuff is superb,legendary music and along with later classics is often regarded as his best work although for me one of the last records Ellington recorded 'The Afro Eurasian Eclipse' album released in 1971 is amongst the best he ever made.

1 hour ago, stevesilktulip said:

Some people think John Coltrane is the greatest musician ever, and nobody in history has taken music further than him.

A lot of people don't realise that Coltrane was heavily influenced by Sidney Bechet:, a musician who's often overlooked in wider Jazz circles which is a shame..I can listen to mid period John Coltrane all day when he's on point although personally I find a lot of his later music hard going. 

On a similar tip, I'm a big fan of Archie Shepp's music which some folks can find a little challenging but I think his albums like Mama Too Tight,Fire Music,Attica Blues, Poem For Malcolm,etc are amazing records.

1 hour ago, stevesilktulip said:

Black Market is my favourite Weather Report album

Mine too,absolutely..Alphonso Johnson is another overlooked musician who is unfairly cast in Jaco Pastorious' shadow all to often.

Rollins is wonderful, Tenor Madness is a good one although albums like Way Out West,Our Man In Jazz,Newk's Time,The Bridge and later albums like The Cutting Edge are terrific records..he's still with us too at the grand old age of 87

As I've gotten older I've come to appreciate the horn players more and more, I used to be a bit snobbish about the Jazz sax players I'd choose to listen to but even Art Pepper gets a spin on the stereo every now and then these days hehe.

1 hour ago, stevesilktulip said:

Saxophone Colossus is widely regarded as Sonny Rollins' best album but I prefer Tenor Madness, where he gets to duel with Trane.

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

https://binged.it/2II9Hy7

 

Les McCann Doin' That Thing

 

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Wasn't aware anybody was 'tilting at windows'. It's merely an observation that, in my experience, people who arrive at jazz from Soul generally never get to the greats, and people who listen to jazz generally diss anything fusiony, at least until recently.

Saw Archie Shepp at Cheltenham just a few years back. The first piece was immense and I thought/ hoped it would go right through but didn't and the set was never as good again.

Many people - myself included - assumed Jaco played on the title track, but he only actually plays on Cannonball and the one he wrote. The album features four of the best tracks they ever made and Johnson played on all of them.

I see you have impeccable taste in Soul too. Dells man. 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
6 minutes ago, stevesilktulip said:

Wasn't aware anybody was 'tilting at windows'. It's merely an observation that, in my experience, people who arrive at jazz from Soul generally never get to the greats, and people who listen to jazz generally diss anything fusiony, at least until recently.

Saw Archie Shepp at Cheltenham just a few years back. The first piece was immense and I thought/ hoped it would go right through but didn't and the set was never as good again.

Many people - myself included - assumed Jaco played on the title track, but he only actually plays on Cannonball and the one he wrote. The album features four of the best tracks they ever made and Johnson played on all of them.

I see you have impeccable taste in Soul too. Dells man. 

Who are "people"? And its "windmills". You can't lump individuals together and generalise about their musical journeys. My days! 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I've been following soul and jazz for four and a half decades and can count on one hand the persons I know of who got from Bob James to Duke or from Dexter Gordon to Grover.

I can and I do. You can and you do (when it suits you). Everybody can and does, or there wouldn't be much going on on this or any other site. Persons come on here because they like northern or soul or black music. I don't need to know everybody's individual journey. Surely this is the point of these websites; to exchange ideas, which in this case is artists, albums and genres. If you've got a beef get it out and don't try to philosophise it. Tomaitos, tomartos - who gives a crap? 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

REALLY 

😂

This must be a wind up? Nobody can miss spell tomatoes twice? 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I can spell potato wrong twice as well. Potaito - potarto. See!

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

You nearly had me there mate! I thought you were genuinely ignorant 😁

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, themroc said:

 

 its "windmills". 

 

:)

 

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I get it. It's windmills.

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
2 minutes ago, stevesilktulip said:

I get it. It's windmills.

Hehe..i was only jesting ..no offence intended there.

Dorothy Ashby rocks it though..that harp is a thing of rare beauty.

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

None taken, I'll give it a listen.

Regards.

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

 

Forgive me if this has already been put out there , but just been playing the album and had to list it ! 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 minute ago, stevegods said:

 

Forgive me if this has already been put out there , but just been playing the album and had to list it ! 

That's the love of music. Diggging in dusty corners for tunes you love but forgot instead of obsessing about the next tune you want. Lovely thread 😊

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

The biggest band I've ever seen at Ronnie Scotts ended up playing and conggering through the club. Pure fuckin magic, 

 

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Loads of class stuff coming up at Ronnie Scotts: Kenny Garrett - one of the greatest saxophonists playing today; French guitarist Birelli Legrande doing Jaco Pastorious (who he played with), the Blackbyrds are coming back and there's Lee Ritenour later in the summer and Larry Carlton later in the year. My firstborn plays jazz guitar (currently at Birmingham Conservatoire (his drummer is at Berklee under the tutelage of Omar Hakim - the Weather Report connections just keep coming)) so there's plenty of interest to him.

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Last went to Ronnie Scotts 3 months ago. Charles Mingus Big Band played Goodbye Pork Pie Hat was in tears

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I bet.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
5 hours ago, stevesilktulip said:

I bet.

I'm no fuckin liar. Grow up F'tard. 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

 

IMG-7d42a32a69280621bdfadba035fad9aa-V.jpg

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Woody Shaw 'Sunbath' from the 'Love Dance' lp Muse Records 1975. 

Woody Shaw was a true master of modality and used a wide range of harmonic colour within his playing,a very unique and visionary musician...such a pity that his personal life was a total mess, plagued by heroin addiction and cut tragically short at the age of 44.

 

Ramon Morris 'First Come, First Serve' from the 'Sweet Sister Funk' lp Groove Merchant Records 1974. 

More noted as a sideman for band leaders like Art Blakey and coincidentally,Woody Shaw, Morris cut his only record as a leader with this album,it features some serious heavyweight Jazz grooves and is definitely one worth investigating.

 

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
12 hours ago, themroc said:

The biggest band I've ever seen at Ronnie Scotts ended up playing and conggering through the club. Pure fuckin magic, 

 

Irakere, the great Chucho Valdés Band! What an incredible horn section!

My favorite tracks by this band are on the 1996 CD "Latin Jazz at Ronnie Scott's" (Music Club / Ronnie Scott's Jazz House). Here's the track list:

01- Fourth World - "Step Seven" (they are Airto Moreira and his wife Flora Purim... incredible vocals!)

02- Irakere - "Lo que va a pasar"

03- Roy Ayers - "Philadelphia Mambo"

04- Fourth World - "Time One"

05- Irakere - "Johana"

06- Fourth World - "Rainha da noite"

07- Perico Sambeat - "Lament" (spanish sax player maestro!)

08- Arturo Sandoval - "Sambeando" (the higger trumpet notes I have never heard,... can broke the glasses!)

09- Irakee - "Las margaritas"

One of my favorite Incognito albums, "No Time Like The Future" (Talkin' Loud, 2000) features the entire IRAKERE horn section!

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Loved going to Ronnie Scotts every weekend. He really promoted word jazz and being a student at the time he did NUS discounts and saw so many outstanding bands. The most magical I remember was watching Airto and Flora Purim when he did a 5 minute solo with just a tambourine and whistle! 

Although the Maitre D was as rude a man as I've ever met. 😁

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Ramon Morris 'First Come, First Serve' from the 'Sweet Sister Funk' lp Groove Merchant Records 1974

Superb Sir. 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

'I bet' as in I would probably bubble if I saw a band so close to one of my jazz heroes doing such a wonderful tribute to another. You should have seen me weep when I finally got to see Leroy Hutson with a band at Camden Jazz Café, after a PA thirty years ago and two cancellations. Again, it's my age.

You remind me of a friend who, some persons - not me - don't believe he got into soul in the mid-seventies, and he went into a proper huff when, after he told me Jumpin at the GoGo was the first soul record he ever heard, I started singing Honest to Goodness.

Ya'll don't know how lucky you are having Ronnie Scotts. I recall a Londoner on the way in to Miles Mosley at the Sage Gateshead Jazz Festival last year saying he wouldn't be seen dead there - and yes it is too touristy and caters for nerds as well - but in the next couple of months, as well as the ones I mentioned earlier, you've got Peter Erskine (would you believe another WR alumni), Jean Toussaint, Airto, Billy Cobham; Pharoah Sanders, Marcus Miller, Harvey Mason, AWB, Bataan and Chick Corea.

Coliflower - corliflour. 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Was lucky enough to go to The North Sea Jazz Festival in 85. Saw Miles, Ella and Soul Sisters with the Horny Horns. Was permanently hungry slept in a sports hall on thin crash mats provided for nothing and went by coach via every city in Europe. What a time to be alive! These days it's so corperate you ha e no chance of getting a ticket. Would love to go to the San Sebastian Jazz Festival but you gotta be an oil exec to afford that. 

Turnup! 

 

Edited by themroc
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
3 hours ago, Soulsides said:

Woody Shaw 'Sunbath' from the 'Love Dance' lp Muse Records 1975. 

Woody Shaw was a true master of modality and used a wide range of harmonic colour within his playing,a very unique and visionary musician...such a pity that his personal life was a total mess, plagued by heroin addiction and cut tragically short at the age of 44.

 

Ramon Morris 'First Come, First Serve' from the 'Sweet Sister Funk' lp Groove Merchant Records 1974. 

More noted as a sideman for band leaders like Art Blakey and coincidentally,Woody Shaw, Morris cut his only record as a leader with this album,it features some serious heavyweight Jazz grooves and is definitely one worth investigating.

 

Good choice! Although I would of gone for "People make the world go round".

 

I had this on the deck last night...

 

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Nat King Cole and this lady were my mum's passion... 

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
7 minutes ago, Jimmy Disco D said:

I had this on the deck last night...

Nice,I really like Ray Bryant's style of piano playing,he reminds me of Billy Taylor quite a bit which is no bad thing.

This is another good one from Ray Bryant.

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
6 minutes ago, Jimmy Disco D said:

Good choice! Although I would of gone for "People make the world go round".

 

I had this on the deck last night...

 

JEEZ only ever new the Stylistics version. Interconnectedness we weave and weft and the patterns form the cloth. Salutations Mr Disco! 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
2 minutes ago, themroc said:

JEEZ only ever new the Stylistics version. Interconnectedness we weave and weft and the patterns form the cloth. Salutations Mr Disco! 

There's also this .

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Angela Bofil.

Carrott - carot.

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
15 minutes ago, Soulsides said:

There's also this .

 

Second track from this lp on this thread. Gonna have to buy it that me eatin grass for the week! 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Should maybe really be in the Jazz/ Funk thread , but as he’s appearing soon at Ronnie Scott’s, thought I’d give him a mention on here ... and tickets cheap for RS ‘s £35 

Harvey  “ Funk in a Masons Jar “

 

 

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
46 minutes ago, stevesilktulip said:

Angela Bofil

 

Never thought much of her version of People Make The World Go Round to be honest..it's a bit too clean and plastic sounding to my ears, what I generally term as 'Supermarket Funk'.

Then again, 1979 was not exactly a vintage year for funkyness to be fair as recording engineers around that era seemed hell bent and determined to make everything as nice and shiny sounding as possible..a sign of the times I guess but seriously lacking in good old musical dirt and rawness in my opinion.

36 minutes ago, themroc said:

Second track from this lp on this thread. Gonna have to buy it that me eatin grass for the week! 

Good man ,that's the spirit ! 

Apparently,grass goes very nicely with Milt Jackson so i've heard hehe...oh wait,you meant the other kind ?...:hypo:

Do yourself a favour and grab this one too themroc ,it was the follow up album to 'Sunflower' and has some really great tracks on it.

M2EmhOZ.jpg

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Cheers for the bad advice Searcher. And when my old lady asks where all the money has gone ill tell her "it was the big boys" maybe I can buy them off the same vendor and come with the evergreen "but sweekcakes I've actually saved us money on the postage" 🙄

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
10 minutes ago, themroc said:

Cheers for the bad advice Searcher. And when my old lady asks where all the money has gone ill tell her "it was the big boys" maybe I can buy them off the same vendor and come with the evergreen "but sweekcakes I've actually saved us money on the postage" 🙄

 

Hahaha.

Every time I buy a new piece of musical equipment I just tell my missus it cost at least a hundred quid less than what I actually paid for it and that i'll take her out for a nice dinner with the money I've saved on the purchase... 

It works like a charm too I'm pleased to report ! 

Who said romance was dead eh ?

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, Soulsides said:

There's also this .

 

Fantastic! The horn section seems the same that the one on "CTI All - Stars Live in L.A." plain' this same theme (the vibraphone is not the main ingredient here). I have another and by Mark Dorsey on a "Irma Molto Jazz" CD compilation. And have seen another one very good by Stevie Wonder singing live WITH VOCODER!

A great jazz - fusion hero of mine since my teens, when I purchased simultaneously "Deodato 2" (CTI) and "The First Cokoo" (MCA) is Eumir Deodato. much after than his CTI stuff I purchased two CD albums by him with Os Cathedraticos, their "bossa nova" years, featuring sax player Walter Rosa. Here'smy favorite track from "Tremendao" (the other CD from this era I have is "Impulso!"). Tremendous Hammond!!

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Funk was all over by then, or at least preparing to move into another, lesser period, though 78 was still a great year with the classic bands hanging on and the second wave at their peaks.

I quite like her version; I prefer it to the Stylistics anyway. But it's not gritty, down-home fffunk.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

First mention of Dexter Gordon and one of my most favourite jazz standards, Willow Weep For Me. "Bend your branches low... 

 

Edited by themroc

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Passport 'Abracadabra' from the 'Hand Made' lp Atlantic Records 1973.

 

German Saxophonist Klaus Doldinger's recurring jazz project Passport, started in 1971 and was often referred to as 'the European version of Weather Report'.

If you're a fan of great sounding Jazz Fusion,then strap yourself in cause this is mind blowing stuff...top notch.

Passport 'Jadoo' from the 'Cross Collateral' lp  Atco Records1975.

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
38 minutes ago, Soulsides said:

Passport 'Abracadabra' from the 'Hand Made' lp Atlantic Records 1973.

 

German Saxophonist Klaus Doldinger's recurring jazz project Passport, started in 1971 and was often referred to as 'the European version of Weather Report'.

If you're a fan of great sounding Jazz Fusion,then strap yourself in cause this is mind blowing stuff...top notch.

Passport 'Jadoo' from the 'Cross Collateral' lp  Atco Records1975.

 

There's a fine line between Jazz Fusion and Prog Rock don't you think? 

One love, brother. 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, themroc said:

There's a fine line between Jazz Fusion and Prog Rock don't you think? 

I do indeed.

I could be totally wrong but I've always seen instrumental Fusion as slightly more "musican's music" than Prog Rock, which isn't  to say that the musicians who make Prog aren't as proficient on their chosen instruments..I just generally think with most Prog it's more song cycle oriented. Fusion almost always has jazz structures, where as Prog many times has more classical elements to it.

Also the musical melting pot which was the 1970's threw a lot of different styles together where musicians really influenced and happily borrowed from each other with the Jazzers incorporating Rock beats and rhythms into the music and the progressive musicians sometimes taking on a more improvisational approach influenced by the Jazz guys.

It's definitely a broad musical church though as the saying goes which I believe at the end of the day is a marvellous thing.

I do actually like a lot of 70's Prog although some of the concepts and subject matter with the wizards,witches,elves and goblins type stuff which was all the rage back then I find a little hilarious and slightly embarrassing at times,but the more instrumental side of it I can totally appreciate. 

 

 

Edited by Soulsides
  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Soulsides said:

I do indeed.

I could be totally wrong but I've always seen instrumental Fusion as slightly more "musican's music" than Prog Rock, which isn't  to say that the musicians who make Prog aren't as proficient on their chosen instruments..I just generally think with most Prog it's more song cycle oriented. Fusion almost always has jazz structures, where as Prog many times has more classical elements to it.

Also the musical melting pot which was the 1970's threw a lot of different styles together where musicians really influenced and happily borrowed from each other with the Jazzers incorporating Rock beats and rhythms into the music and the progressive musicians sometimes taking on a more improvisational approach influenced by the Jazz guys.

It's definitely a broad musical church though as the saying goes which I believe at the end of the day is a marvellous thing.

I do actually like a lot of 70's Prog although some of the concepts and subject matter with the wizards,witches,elves and goblins type stuff which was all the rage back then I find a little hilarious and slightly embarrassing at times,but the more instrumental side of it I can totally appreciate. 

 

 

Someone, was it you?, actually posted a Gong jazz track. Now that's a straw that'll break a camels back😂 Saying that, Spinal Taps Slap Bass Odyssey certainly gets me out the sofa. 😂

See you at Stone Enge. 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Guest profile photo
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  1. Gladys Knight - If You Ever Get Your Hands On Love
    Look At Your Box by Guest Rowly on Thu 03 Feb 2005
    • 9 / 3025
    • Mixedangased on 23 Feb 2020
  2. Your Current Must Watch Tv ?
    Freebasing by Mike on Thu 03 Nov 2011
    • 2346 / 97824
    • Simon T on 22 Feb 2020
  3. Show us your great photos (2020)
    Freebasing by Amsterdam Russ on Wed 01 Jan 2020
    • 212 / 4902
    • Martyn Pitt on 21 Feb 2020
  4. very rare vocal jazz /soul 45 for sale
    Record Sales by Stoopdownbaby on Tue 18 Feb 2020
    • 2 / 292
    • Stoopdownbaby on 20 Feb 2020
  5. How much for Carrolls Surrendered your love?
    Look At Your Box by Chris O on Fri 07 Feb 2020
    • 8 / 362
    • Blackpoolsoul on 20 Feb 2020

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.