Pictures of Us

On ‎22‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 11:35, Joey said:

Two tone tonic suits with three button jackets and a silk pocket square, Levi Sta-Pres keks, Jaytex shirts and V neck slipovers. Nice! We may have been poor, but we were still smart most of the time! Like me back then, you were obviously taken under the wings of the "big" lads. We were pretty similar I think, save for the pint. You couldn't hold a pint of "mixed", I couldn't hold a pint of "brown and mild"! Lol. Happy days.

Question not just for  Joey ,this has bugged me for years as no one else seems to remember these, probably a memory thing and age related, does anyone remember Levi's bringing out a white jacket, could have been a similar style to the denim ones but not sure ,the fabric though had a feel and texture akin to paper, damn sure my mate bought one from Stone Dri in Bury, Thompsons Arms Ken, I remember going in there after seeing The Temptations at the Free Trade Hall I think,  waiting for the bus home, a very nice young man came round selling a paper, my girlfriend at the time asked what's he selling bless her, I told her I'm pretty sure it Isn't the War Cry.

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Twoshoes said:

Question not just for  Joey ,this has bugged me for years as no one else seems to remember these, probably a memory thing and age related, does anyone remember Levi's bringing out a white jacket, could have been a similar style to the denim ones but not sure ,the fabric though had a feel and texture akin to paper, damn sure my mate bought one from Stone Dri in Bury, Thompsons Arms Ken, I remember going in there after seeing The Temptations at the Free Trade Hall I think,  waiting for the bus home, a very nice young man came round selling a paper, my girlfriend at the time asked what's he selling bless her, I told her I'm pretty sure it Isn't the War Cry.

Don't recall a paper-like version, but both Levi's and Wrangler brought out jean jackets in white. Wrangler also had one in a very light cream/yellow-ish colour, which was sold, surprisingly, in C&A of all places. This would have been around 71-72. I do remember white bomber jackets made of a papery material in 75-76 though. I was stationed up in the far north of Scotland at the time, and a girlfriend brought me one back from a visit to London. Didn't last two bloody minutes! The jacket nor the relationship 😂.

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Joey said:

Don't recall a paper-like version, but both Levi's and Wrangler brought out jean jackets in white. Wrangler also had one in a very light cream/yellow-ish colour, which was sold, surprisingly, in C&A of all places. This would have been around 71-72. I do remember white bomber jackets made of a papery material in 75-76 though. I was stationed up in the far north of Scotland at the time, and a girlfriend brought me one back from a visit to London. Didn't last two bloody minutes! The jacket nor the relationship 😂.

Cheers Joey, the one you mentioned is probably the one I was thinking of, as for not lasting long that has jogged my memory, seem to remember my mate foolishly wearing his on a scooter ride thinking he'd look cool , yes it rained with predictable results, cheers for the reply.

Social source share

30 minutes ago, Twoshoes said:

Question not just for  Joey ,this has bugged me for years as no one else seems to remember these, probably a memory thing and age related, does anyone remember Levi's bringing out a white jacket, could have been a similar style to the denim ones but not sure ,the fabric though had a feel and texture akin to paper

I bought such a white denim jacket in the early 70's (it was cheap), can't recall if it was Levi or Wrangler though. It was made of the same denim as their usual jackets (not paper-thin). Being white it wasn't very practical, so I dyed it yellow but didn't like the colour too much. Then dyed it again, using blue dye, turned out a great military green. A few years later, when it shrunk (honest guy, I didn't put weight on), my daughter nicked it and happily wore it for a number of years.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

18 minutes ago, Twoshoes said:

Cheers Joey, the one you mentioned is probably the one I was thinking of, as for not lasting long that has jogged my memory, seem to remember my mate foolishly wearing his on a scooter ride thinking he'd look cool , yes it rained with predictable results, cheers for the reply.

My pleasure mate. (And yeah, they really were crap!). 

Social source share

9 minutes ago, Roburt said:

I bought such a white denim jacket in the early 70's (it was cheap), can't recall if it was Levi or Wrangler though. It was made of the same denim as their usual jackets (not paper-thin). Being white it wasn't very practical, so I dyed it yellow but didn't like the colour too much. Then dyed it again, using blue dye, turned out a great military green. A few years later, when it shrunk (honest guy, I didn't put weight on), my daughter nicked it and happily wore it for a number of years.

Yeah, the material was heavyweight cotton, and they were made to last. But, as you say, the colour made them completely useless. May have been OK for Southern California, but certainly not Southern Manchester! 

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Joey said:

Yeah, the material was heavyweight cotton, and they were made to last. But, as you say, the colour made them completely useless. May have been OK for Southern California, but certainly not Southern Manchester! 

14 minutes ago, Roburt said:

Have you chaps posted any pics of yourselves yet?

Social source share

1 hour ago, Twoshoes said:

i know i'm straying slightly...but on the jackets thing. I remember one of the lads from Macc who looked the business in a pink'ish cord wrangler.

Social source share

55 minutes ago, Kenb said:

i know i'm straying slightly...but on the jackets thing. I remember one of the lads from Macc who looked the business in a pink'ish cord wrangler.

Yeah, those cord Wranglers were definitely the business. Very popular. I had a maroon/wine coloured one that looked great with grey sta-pres and oxblood Royals. Cost me about four quid from the Army and Navy store in Oldham. 

Social source share

4 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Here's another old one of me - looking fit and ripped! I think it was at Cleethorpes Winter Gardens but may have been Clifton Hall at Rotherham.

cllethorpes pics 004

That's my problem right there Pete, my memories of people are like that - young! When people say hello to me these days I always end up thinking 'who's this old geezer?' And even more surprisingly, 'how the hell do they know who I am?'

• Up vote 2
Social source share

14 hours ago, Rich B said:

That's my problem right there Pete, my memories of people are like that - young! When people say hello to me these days I always end up thinking 'who's this old geezer?' And even more surprisingly, 'how the hell do they know who I am?'

Hi Richard

I hope you're well mate.

Exactly my problem - stuck in an 80's time warp thinking everyone is still young. I remember a picture pf you being posted a few years ago - not by you. You looked about 25 and I spent a good week trying to work out the maths!

Pete

Social source share

6 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Hi Richard

I hope you're well mate.

Exactly my problem - stuck in an 80's time warp thinking everyone is still young. I remember a picture pf you being posted a few years ago - not by you. You looked about 25 and I spent a good week trying to work out the maths!

Pete

Hi Pete, I  good and I hope you are too. I can assure you that you will never see a picture of me, post by me! I think it would breach some kind of law or rule on horrifying images before the watershed!

Don't exert yourself too much on the maths, I have just celebrated my 61st... born in '57.

Edited by Rich B
Mathematical accuracy
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

56 minutes ago, Robin S said:

Good to see you post Rich - trust you are well.

Hey Pete - looking good there!

Hi Robin

Great to hear from you. You’re obviously lurking in the shadows! I hope all is good with you and yours mate. Fantastic times back in the 80’s - a hugely committed and open minded following, appreciating new and old records, and everything in between. 

Pete

:hatsoff2:

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

• 3 months later...
On 13/08/2018 at 16:43, Soul-Slider said:

Did you by any chance know a guy from Nottingham called 'Kip', think he was half Greek? Fairly big fella always one for a laugh. I used to knock about with him during my visits to Nottingham Soul nights.

Kyp Ross originally from  huntingdon cambs use to live round corner from my wife moved to notts about 14 years ago same time I moved to huntingdon small world great chap 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 minutes ago, speedlimit said:

Kyp Ross originally from  huntingdon cambs use to live round corner from my wife moved to notts about 14 years ago same time I moved to huntingdon small world great chap 

also he as lost a lot of weight steve, well he had the last time I saw him

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 15:17, speedlimit said:

Kyp's name was originally Kypros Roubinas - we used to travel everywhere together from late 70's and early 80's. He changed his name by deed poll to that of Kyp Highbury - with him being, at the time, an avid Arsenal supporter!

I do see him whenever I get out and about, mainly at functions in the Midlands, but I rarely get out at all these days!

He has indeed shed several stone in weight over the past few years, and looks great as a consequence

A lifelong friend since mid-70's and quite a character too

Not certain, but have a feeling his mum still lives in the same bungalow in Huntingdon Kyp grew up in

Back in the day he was the only collector of LP's I was aware of, and has had some amazing albums pass through his hands over the years.. I still have (somewhere) an album sales list of his from the late 70's that included the withdrawn UK Len Barry LP - with his sales patter including the comment: 'No LP sleeve - don't think it was issued with one' £25

Them were the days..

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!