British seventies soul, Sweet Sensation.

Number 1 in October 1974, written by an associate of mine Dave 'Des' Parton from Newcastle under Lyme in Staffordshire who, along with producers Tony Hatch and Jackie Trent (a school classmate of Des') the song was given to the band of Manchester lads headed up by 15 year old Marcel King, sadly no longer with us. The song made number 1 in the UK charts and charted number 14 on the Billboard top 100. Des also wrote a follow up single early 75 'Purely by coincidence' reached number 11 in the UK charts.

A short while later our Des, frustrated at having a number 1 hit yet never having appeared on TOTP himself, recorded Stevie Wonder's album only track 'Isn't she lovey' under his real name David Parton, along with Hatch and Trent and went to number 4 in the UK charts. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Really like this song saw them live in Torquay summer of 1974 when working down there ( think the venue was called the Castle).

Lots of Soul folks there.

Pretty sure I saw the Real Thing down there that summer too maybe on the same bill but memory a bit blurred now

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I have two 45's by this UK pop-soul group since my teens: "Mr. Cool" w/b "Yes Miss, No Miss" (Pye / (spanish) Belter, 1975 and "Mail Train" w/b "Treat That Little Girl Right" (Pye / (spanish) Belter, 1977.

Practically never played the second (too much "commercial" for my taste...) but the first of two, the funky and funny "Mr. Cool", with these laughs at the intro (and have, IMHO, a certain flavor or reminiscence of "Give The People What They Want" by The O'Jays) and specially I played and liked a lot the B side "Yes Miss, No Miss" a mid tempo that reminds me on The Miracles. In a  spanish musical review from these same years I read that Sweet sensation "(...) were the UK response to the US Jackson V (...)".

In the first 80's, in the disco where I worked as barman I saw at the crates of the DJ's a vynil by a female trio (or quartet, ?) called with the same name

Social source share

in an aside to this my best friend in the early 70's was supposed to have a fight with marcel king we all trooped into whalley range (we lived in old trafford about 10 minute walk) about 8 or 9 of us, fight never happened lol think we got chased by about 15 of marcels friends. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!