What did they wear at the mecca.

The twice I went 

It was just my normal clobber.  Royale brogues. Nice pair of pegs with turnups and a rather loud Hawian shirt. 

The jazz funketeers  at once stage where wearing ex army pants and shirt ( George Clinton)  with a belt hanging down after it was fastened. Sandals.  Sunglasses.  Whistle . Or suits like kid Creole anything really.  

Steve 

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Well, you had to wear a tie to get in. This was usually of the kipper variety so went well with giant rounded collar shirts. Think Harry Hill but not pointed collars, semi-circular ones instead. Can’t remember if you had to wear a jacket? The doormen at the top of the escalator made a thorough search of your holdall in case you had a tape recorder. I think it was otherwise standard Northern gear in the mid 70’s morphing into pegs, capped T shirts etc towards the end of the decade.

Edited by FRANKIE CROCKER
typo
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

it was more like the other clubs where the jazz funk guys were wearing different stuff as blackpool mecca you had to be fairly smart jacket and tie job to get in, but it was loud shirts peg trousers with pyjama cord belts floppy haircuts whistles were in use a lot. clubs like angels burnley,  Ritz alldayers were a mix of the two northern and the jazz funk crowd 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

When i used to go, wearing a large fancy coloured Hanky around your neck under your unbuttoned top button of your shirt was very popular, a bit like Cow Boys wore in Westerns, I had stoped going by the time the Jazz Funk type dress was being worn. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Memory is hazy -but i do know this was before ’75.

We went (i know not when) from parallels and 22” centre vents, 3” pocket flaps, 5 button sleeves, to blazers with patch pockets and wire emrodered County or footbal badges. I remember queing up outside Hurley’s Golf shop to get my Slazenger cardy ( i could see the opposite side of the road, corner of Whitworth St from here: the Wheel). For some reason we never wore FP’s. (for conext only, it's not a "back in the day" moan - most of us were used to standing on a duck-board 5 days a week and skilled guys got £26 a week). Money was tight.

Then it got more casual. Not only were records imported, clothes too.

There was a guy we knew who was a manager at Johnsons the Cleaners- very smart, and had a car. Trouser bottom widths got larger but not branded (i certainly didn’t know what Oxford Bags or Spencers were). Shirts- notched collar, short sleeves (not Hawaiian or bowling) Mr California, Penney’s. Bizarrely, i see these worn by the lead actor on the TV programme Two and a Half Men.  I still have some of the shirts-and still wear them to NS nights, because they did what they did then...allowed me more freedom to dance ( is that just too sad?).

We never got to the more flamboyant styles - we'd gone.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Love the idea of Kid Creole style suits!

Zoot suit was the name . I actually got married in one. Had it made for me by a still good friend ( Billy Gill from Widnes ) who as it happens at the time was a jazz funker who was a self taught tailor. haven't got any pictures luckily for me .

Steve

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Just now, Winsford Soul said:

Zoot suit was the name . I actually got married in one. Had it made for me by a still good friend ( Billy Gill from Widnes ) who as it happens at the time was a jazz funker who was a self taught tailor. haven't got any pictures luckily for me .

Steve

Dunno about the 'luckily' thing Ste, those Zoot suits are well dapper, would look totally hip nowadays too! Bet you looked wicked, being tall and slim. (Not flirting like...Just being observant) Did you have a hat to match?

Social source share

Just now, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Dunno about the 'luckily' thing Ste, those Zoot suits are well dapper, would look totally hip nowadays too! Bet you looked wicked, being tall and slim. (Not flirting like...Just being observant) Did you have a hat to match?

Couldn't get a fedora to match mate otherwise I would have done . The suit was a royal blue type colour maybe a touch darker. As you say it was the proper poser look. Loved it. Would definitely wear one now as I quite often play out suited and booted. Work in Engineering covered in oil and grease amongst other things so I always make the effort . Glad you not flirting .

Steve

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Couldn't get a fedora to match mate otherwise I would have done . The suit was a royal blue type colour maybe a touch darker. As you say it was the proper poser look. Loved it. Would definitely wear one now as I quite often play out suited and booted. Work in Engineering covered in oil and grease amongst other things so I always make the effort . Glad you not flirting .

Steve

LoL yes I'm the same, love getting suited up after being in overalls all day! Have a wicked white Tux for onstage that I'm thinking of starting wearing to soul dos with black shirt and black slacks, two tone brogues, it makes you feel good, plus, and this can only be whispered, the ladies like a sharp dressed man, as Billy Gibbons says!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

40 minutes ago, Kenb said:

Memory is hazy -but i do know this was before ’75.

We went (i know not when) from parallels and 22” centre vents, 3” pocket flaps, 5 button sleeves, to blazers with patch pockets and wire emrodered County or footbal badges. I remember queing up outside Hurley’s Golf shop to get my Slazenger cardy ( i could see the opposite side of the road, corner of Whitworth St from here: the Wheel). For some reason we never wore FP’s. (for conext only, it's not a "back in the day" moan - most of us were used to standing on a duck-board 5 days a week and skilled guys got £26 a week). Money was tight.

Then it got more casual. Not only were records imported, clothes too.

There was a guy we knew who was a manager at Johnsons the Cleaners- very smart, and had a car. Trouser bottom widths got larger but not branded (i certainly didn’t know what Oxford Bags or Spencers were). Shirts- notched collar, short sleeves (not Hawaiian or bowling) Mr California, Penney’s. Bizarrely, i see these worn by the lead actor on the TV programme Two and a Half Men.  I still have some of the shirts-and still wear them to NS nights, because they did what they did then...allowed me more freedom to dance ( is that just too sad?).

We never got to the more flamboyant styles - we'd gone.

Early 70's still very much the suedehead/soulboy look. Levi sta-prest, Barathea blazers with single vents and plenty of sleeve buttons. Three lapel buttonholes. Wheel or Torch badge, or just a red rose stitched to the breast pocket. Matching red socks and hankie. A pair of loafers or royals. Never really wore Fred Perry stuff, regardless of what the "experts" may say. Button down or penny round collared shirts. Slazenger v necks or cardigans. (Hurleys? Christ, I'd forgotten that place!).  Crombie or three quarter length sheepskin in the winter. Hair still short, suedehead style-ee, long sidies and maybe a 'tache for good measure. Above all, SMART.

As Ken says, no "branded" stuff worn really, and by the time the lunatics had taken over the Highland Rooms asylum, complete with their silly clothes, we'd all left the scene anyway. 

Social source share

Depends what era! The fashions changed from Mod styles to Northern Soul to New York disco. Then some people just did their own thing.

Towards the end I remember plastic sandals, peg trousers with pleats,very wide at the top, but narrow at the bottom.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Kenb said:

i think the tie thing was to put (some) people off. a bit like No Trainers ( was that the 90's). Didn't Fred (was it Fred) the badges-pins man lend people ties?

The tie thing was just a Mecca thing. As with the main ballroom downstairs, and many other Mecca joints around the country. Just a way of keeping up standards, (as seen through the eyes of our elders and betters), and keeping out supposed riff-raff. I saw one guy get turned away just for wearing a polo neck sweater under his suit. Dunno about being able to "rent" a tie though, as I always had one on. At least 'til I got inside, that is.

In later years, say around 74, a certain relaxation of the dress code came about. I remember an all-dayer there where you could get in wearing jeans and vests etc. Plus, summer of 74 saw me in Blackpool for a week, and there were no dress restrictions in place most nights for the main room.

Social source share

21 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Steve

I`m sure someone has a few!

latest?cb=20100122232251&path-prefix=pro

Social source share

There was a special funky wedge haircut!

It was short on the sides and back, but had a large wedge of hair on the top that was pushed over to one side, at least that’s how I remember it!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

In Wakefield in the 60's, you either hung out with the in crowd, or went to the Mecca. Mutually exclusive.

So I rarely went to the Mecca - I think the Junior Walker gig was one of the few times.

Re ties - yes we wore them (Mods did in the 60's - regimental ones usually) - I remember one time the DS raided the Place Club (early 67) and they went round asking all the guys to loosen their ties - they thought we were hiding pills in the knots! Talk about ill-informed....🙄

Social source share

Long before my time of course, but Pete still wears Mecca sandals all the time - the Jesus type with buckles (not the jellies that some wore) - he's got a pic of everyone (Judith, Len, Ian, Les etc) arseing around with Bernie Golding in grey bondage trousers, he tells me the wonderful Judy Moss used to go in a ra-ra skirt with full petticoats, he also remembers clear plastic anoraks (and someone even turning up with the pockets full of water with goldfish in - though this may have been at the Warehouse (Leeds and full disco mode) and somewhere we have a shot of Les in his notorious hard hat and tool belt a la the Village People. 

Wedges (with or without tramlines - sometimes dyed rainbow strips) are surely later - I remember them in the early 80s along with whistles and cow bells amongst the Oxford/Swindon/Gloucester crew.
Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

15 minutes ago, DaveNPete said:

Long before my time of course, but Pete still wears Mecca sandals all the time - the Jesus type with buckles (not the jellies that some wore) - he's got a pic of everyone (Judith, Len, Ian, Les etc) arseing around with Bernie Golding in grey bondage trousers, he tells me the wonderful Judy Moss used to go in a ra-ra skirt with full petticoats, he also remembers clear plastic anoraks (and someone even turning up with the pockets full of water with goldfish in - though this may have been at the Warehouse (Leeds and full disco mode) and somewhere we have a shot of Les in his notorious hard hat and tool belt a la the Village People. 

Wedges (with or without tramlines - sometimes dyed rainbow strips) are surely later - I remember them in the early 80s along with whistles and cow bells amongst the Oxford/Swindon/Gloucester crew.
Dx

There are times, when I read something, that I feel incredibly glad that I wasn't on the scene in the late 70's and early 80's. 😂😂😂😂😂😂

And by the way, Judy Moss should've known better than to wear a bloody ra-ra skirt!!!!!!!! Not seen her in many a year. One of the loveliest lassies you could ever wish to meet. 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Joey said:

There are times, when I read something, that I feel incredibly glad that I wasn't on the scene in the late 70's and early 80's.

For all it’s faults the 70’s was the golden age,the very best of times, when it was all happening!

Some of the greatest record discoveries, big all-nighters packed with people, great atmosphere because we were all young and Northern Soul was at it’s cutting edge.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

19 minutes ago, solidsoul said:

For all it’s faults the 70’s was the golden age,the very best of times, when it was all happening!

For you, that's cool. But any decade when you were aged 16-21 is THE best.

For you it was the 70's (NS), for me it was the 60's (Mod scene), for a good (older) mate of mine, the 50's (he was a Teddy Boy!).

It is about growing up, I guess 😁

Edited by soash
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

19 minutes ago, soash said:

Yes we all must believe our time was the best.

i struggle with how things are now  though with all the social media, mobile phones and lAck of new quality music to create a vibrant scene.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, soash said:

For you it was the 70's (NS), for me it was the 60's (Mod scene), for a good (older) mate of mine, the 50's (he was a Teddy Boy!).

It is about growing up, I guess 😁

Absolutely loaded post!

Happy/Sad.

Social source share

nobody mentioned Bowling Shirts yet ? complete with team name , first name (on the left hand chest) and pleated 'action back' they must have been quite a worldwide thing because I picked up a few in southern france on a holiday late 70s, notably one with 'Trump Hotels' on the back. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 5 May 2018 at 02:41, geeselad said:

I've heard some legendary tales of ludicrous clobber worn when the mecca went all jazz funk and NYD. 

Do tell......... 

On 5 May 2018 at 02:41, geeselad said:

I've heard some legendary tales of ludicrous clobber worn when the mecca went all jazz funk and NYD. 

Do tell......... 

There was nothing as ludicrous as what was being worn at Wigan.....

Edited by ric-tic
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, ric-tic said:

Fair enough, but its well documented and you can see facsimiles, of the worst of it, at a soul night near you, now! 

Edited by geeselad
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

I only went twice.

Another planet compared to cleggy...

Mohair jumpers and skin tight keks were in fashion at the time. Winkle picker hoofs.

But let's face it, it's reputation was all about progression, right direction or not.

The fashion was part of it....but the music was the real difference.

Unrecognisable in comparison to anywhere else once the discoesque sound took over.

New York Port Authority and Cleveland Eaton certainly made an impact on me. Individual dancing changed into a kind a group thing.

On reflection happy days...get yourself together Yeah!

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

14 hours ago, ric-tic said:

The ludicrous thing is most of us had stopped wearing Spencer’s (Bags) at Wigan by 79  And was wearing the fashion of the day pegs etc. Strangely there’s probably more of the retro types wearing flares and adorning themselves with badges now than there was back then!

• Up vote 3
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Sikirby said:

The ludicrous thing is most of us had stopped wearing Spencer’s (Bags) at Wigan by 79  And was wearing the fashion of the day pegs etc. Strangely there’s probably more of the retro types wearing flares and adorning themselves with badges now than there was back then!

Bags were pretty much worn everywhere, and by everybody, as far back as 72-73. The vest thing only really took off at about the same time, (and only at Niters, never in a general soul club), but the main difference was that either no badges were worn on them, or at the most, just one. From looking at various pics and videos, it would appear that after I left the scene at the end of 75, it pretty much became a competition to see who could wear as many badges on their vests as possible. And for some strange reason, mainly badges of clubs they'd never even been to.

By the end of the decade, trousers in general had become far narrower, and bags were definitely a thing of the past. But looking back at the eighties, and although many 80's kids will fervently disagree with me, I think the general consensus of opinion is that style-wise, it was mainly a decade to forget!

Social source share

On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 12:12, soash said:

In Wakefield in the 60's, you either hung out with the in crowd, or went to the Mecca. Mutually exclusive.

So I rarely went to the Mecca - I think the Junior Walker gig was one of the few times.

Was this Wakefield mecca when we all danced to Junior in a big circle on the dancefloor?

Social source share

On 06/05/2018 at 12:45, Joey said:

And by the way, Judy Moss should've known better than to wear a bloody ra-ra skirt!!!!!!!! Not seen her in many a year. One of the loveliest lassies you could ever wish to meet. 

Judy is in Notts these days, Cleethorpes regular too, top girl, have always loved her to bits. 

Social source share

15 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Judy is in Notts these days, Cleethorpes regular too, top girl, have always loved her to bits. 

In Nottingham? Never knew. As I said, not seen her in years and years. And yeah, as you say, a top, top girl. Not many left on the scene with her pedigree, and none as nice as she. Next time you bump into her, tell her Joey from Oldham sends his love. 👍

Social source share

1 hour ago, JulianB said:

Was this Wakefield mecca when we all danced to Junior in a big circle on the dancefloor?

Could well have been. The circle thing started (for me) at Earlsheaton Youth Club in Dewsbury in '65-66 - and they did it at the Mojo, too.

When the Place Club, down Radcliffe Yard opened (late '66), we did it there, too.

BTW, are you Mick B's younger brother?

If you are, ask him about Earlsheaton. He went a few times.

If you aren't, my apologies! 😏

Edited by soash
Social source share

12 hours ago, soash said:

Could well have been. The circle thing started (for me) at Earlsheaton Youth Club in Dewsbury in '65-66 - and they did it at the Mojo, too.

When the Place Club, down Radcliffe Yard opened (late '66), we did it there, too.

BTW, are you Mick B's younger brother?

If you are, ask him about Earlsheaton. He went a few times.

If you aren't, my apologies! 😏

No, not Mick's brother. Used to go to Earlsheaton in '67 when I got my first Lambretta TV175. Went with my scooter pals from Cleckheaton and Heckmondwike.

Went to the Jr Walker thing at Wakefield mecca around '71 with the Huddersfield lads and met up with the Leeds boys, Mike Eastwood, Pete Dillon, Kenny Coleman, Rob Le Moine, Dennis Billingham etc etc

Social source share

On ‎07‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 12:23, Joey said:

Bags were pretty much worn everywhere, and by everybody, as far back as 72-73. The vest thing only really took off at about the same time, (and only at Niters, never in a general soul club), but the main difference was that either no badges were worn on them, or at the most, just one. From looking at various pics and videos, it would appear that after I left the scene at the end of 75, it pretty much became a competition to see who could wear as many badges on their vests as possible. And for some strange reason, mainly badges of clubs they'd never even been to.

By the end of the decade, trousers in general had become far narrower, and bags were definitely a thing of the past. But looking back at the eighties, and although many 80's kids will fervently disagree with me, I think the general consensus of opinion is that style-wise, it was mainly a decade to forget!

the 70's were the most extravagant decade for fashion of the 20th century imho, never did designers get away with so much.

Social source share

20 minutes ago, geeselad said:

the 70's were the most extravagant decade for fashion of the 20th century imho, never did designers get away with so much.

To a certain extent, I can agree with you. Some of the general day to day 70's fashions were definitely a bit off the wall, and boundaries were at times being pushed more even than in the 60's. I "grew up" a bit more in the eighties, being by then mid to late twenties in age, and remember that decade as being a bit naff, fashion-wise. Big hair, big shoulder pads etc. Fashion? Yes, Style? Nope! Then again, my fashion sense has never really changed all that much. Even in the seventies I was more liable to be seen smartly dressed than fashionably, and that continued into the eighties, when I was more likely to be seen suited and booted, rather than wearing dungarees etc. (Had moved on to big hair by then mind you 🙂 ).

Social source share

4 hours ago, JulianB said:

No, not Mick's brother. Used to go to Earlsheaton in '67 when I got my first Lambretta TV175. Went with my scooter pals from Cleckheaton and Heckmondwike.

Went to the Jr Walker thing at Wakefield mecca around '71 with the Huddersfield lads and met up with the Leeds boys, Mike Eastwood, Pete Dillon, Kenny Coleman, Rob Le Moine, Dennis Billingham etc etc

My apologies. I remember Mick B having a couple of brothers, Syd and Julian. Small world I guess.

The Mecca JW concert I saw was in the winter of 68/69, so probably a different gig to the one you attended.

BTW, I knew Kenny C from college (I was at Art School, he was at the Tech round the corner - so 66/67), and through him I met Rob L.

Rob hung round Wakefield in 69/70 - he came to the Metro when that opened.

Met Mick Eastwood just this year! Lovely guy!

I left the scene alone after the Metro closed (I was living in Kent - coming up every weekend to DJ the all-niter) - so I know little of the 70's Leeds scene.

Used to go over to the Bee Gee and the King Charles in the mid 60's, though!

Getting VERY off topic. Apologies again 🙄

Edited by soash
Social source share

During the transition period, I had a brown mohair sweater - ideal for those hot nights, and on to Wigan later lol. Also I found a vintage pair of brown leather sandals/ shoes in a charity shop, that I wore a more than one occasion.

Social source share

I've crossed over from the John Cooper Clarke thread.....

What Did They Wear At The Mecca?

What did they wear at the Mecca, was it Italian mohair suits

Or Hawaiian shirts and sandals with big wide baggy zoots?

It depends on when you went mate, and the fashion at the time

Some of the gear they wore there could be considered a crime

The sixties and early seventies, the attendees dressed to impress

But from the mid seventies onwards was anybody’s guess.

What did they wear at the Mecca when they danced to Northern Soul?

Unlike the Jazz Funk era when they dressed like Kid Creole

With a pair of Sta-prest trousers, brogues and button down shirt on

Topped off with a Barathea blazer, made to measure from Mr Burton

The lads all looked the part, and the ladies even better

You wouldn’t think they’d arrived on the back of a Lambretta.

What did they wear at the Mecca, when trouser bottom widths increased?

A case of anything goes when the strict dress code had ceased

Baggy pants and bowling shirts were definitely de rigueur

True to say we didn’t exactly cut a dashing figure

Then Punk, Disco, New Romance and Jazzy Funk were upon us

And the Mecca crowd looked like they’d shopped in the local Army Surplus.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Steve S 60 said:

I've crossed over from the John Cooper Clarke thread.....

What Did They Wear At The Mecca?

What did they wear at the Mecca, was it Italian mohair suits

Or Hawaiian shirts and sandals with big wide baggy zoots?

It depends on when you went mate, and the fashion at the time

Some of the gear they wore there could be considered a crime

The sixties and early seventies, the attendees dressed to impress

But from the mid seventies onwards was anybody’s guess.

What did they wear at the Mecca when they danced to Northern Soul?

Unlike the Jazz Funk era when they dressed like Kid Creole

With a pair of Sta-prest trousers, brogues and button down shirt on

Topped off with a Barathea blazer, made to measure from Mr Burton

The lads all looked the part, and the ladies even better

You wouldn’t think they’d arrived on the back of a Lambretta.

What did they wear at the Mecca, when trouser bottom widths increased?

A case of anything goes when the strict dress code had ceased

Baggy pants and bowling shirts were definitely de rigueur

True to say we didn’t exactly cut a dashing figure

Then Punk, Disco, New Romance and Jazzy Funk were upon us

And the Mecca crowd looked like they’d shopped in the local Army Surplus.

That's utterly brilliant pal, you've got a talent there! 

Social source share

when i first went to the mecca it was a nice pair of parralells 16" bottoms possiblt two tones, button down shirt either ben sherman or jaytex, jacket blazer with lancashire rose badge and red hankie in the breast pocket and tie that was in the jacket pocket by the time you hit the escalator good pair of leather soul loafers (tassels) never had any brogues early 1972/3 all the lads were really smartly dressed, and the girls were equally as smart.   wigan or any other nighter would be Fred perry top with spare one in holdall, spare socks underwear, towel and possibly swimming trunks for the baths after wigan.

Edited by mark b
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!