Steve S 60

Walking Football

Hung my boots up over 15 years ago, but started playing walking football at the end of last year.  At 57, I'm amongst the youngest attendees at the sessions at our local leisure centre, with plenty 60 plus, and a few in their 70s.  Good fun, plenty of banter and it helps keep you fit.  We normally play for two and a half hours, so it's a good work out.  Various levels of fitness and ability, so it's all inclusive.  Cup of tea and a chat at the end.  I would recommend it to anybody over 50 who likes to kick a ball about.  Only complaint I have is that we play on Friday morning, so if I'm out dancing over the weekend the old legs take a bit of a pounding.  Anybody on here partake?

Nice!

At the age of 40 something I can barely walk due to too much football previously. 

Id love to give it a go if my biscuits and cheese would allow.  I’m still in vets age group but can’t play due to injury. 

Warms your cockles seeing footage of the old gents playing the walking game. Great idea and I hear that ladies partake too.

1 minute ago, JNixon said:

Nice!

At the age of 40 something I can barely walk due to too much football previously. 

Id love to give it a go if my biscuits and cheese would allow.  I’m still in vets age group but can’t play due to injury. 

Warms your cockles seeing footage of the old gents playing the walking game. Great idea and I hear that ladies partake too.

I have to hold back, given the age of some of the participants, and I'm constantly getting pulled up for "running".  Very hard to keep to a walking pace.  Makes you concentrate more on your passing game.  No ladies at our sessions, but plenty of old grannies.

2 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

I have to hold back, given the age of some of the participants, and I'm constantly getting pulled up for "running".  Very hard to keep to a walking pace.  Makes you concentrate more on your passing game.  No ladies at our sessions, but plenty of old grannies.

In my head that’s the issue - running. Even a shuffle of feet can be pulled up?

It must be hard to stop thinking about running. 

3 minutes ago, JNixon said:

In my head that’s the issue - running. Even a shuffle of feet can be pulled up?

It must be hard to stop thinking about running. 

It's a case of a bit of speed walking, keeping one foot on the ground.  Running off the ball is probably the hardest thing to control.  Also, trying to keep the ball below head height is a problem for a lot of people.

Sadly I don't think they play anywhere near me, the last time I decided to have a kick around I ended up with a scraped nose and stretched tendons in both wrists after going head first into some concrete, needless to say, I'd been drinking copiously prior to debacle. 

2 minutes ago, TattooDave said:

Sadly I don't think they play anywhere near me, the last time I decided to have a kick around I ended up with a scraped nose and stretched tendons in both wrists after going head first into some concrete, needless to say, I'd been drinking copiously prior to debacle. 

Heavy drinking and ball sports don't mix very well.

15 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

It's a case of a bit of speed walking, keeping one foot on the ground.  Running off the ball is probably the hardest thing to control.  Also, trying to keep the ball below head height is a problem for a lot of people.

5 a side is where I started playing football so head height not really an issue. 

Yes I gave it a go, used to play normal football  a lot years ago so I thought it would be a leisurely walk about , how wrong I was ! , Pulled a muscle in my leg after 5mins, then went in goals, bruised and aching for days 

13 minutes ago, chalky said:

5 a side is where I started playing football so head height not really an issue. 

Trouble is there's a lot of old boys with poor ball skills who are there primarily for the keep fit, and running shoes or cross trainers aren't the best footwear for kicking a ball.  It would be better if we played on a pitch or in a hall where you can play off the wall.  As it is, there's a lot of throw ins, goal kicks and corners.

Edited by Steve S 60

1 minute ago, codfromderby said:

Yes I gave it a go, used to play normal football  a lot years ago so I thought it would be a leisurely walk about , how wrong I was ! , Pulled a muscle in my leg after 5mins, then went in goals, bruised and aching for days 

I actually pulled a muscle first time out, and that was just having a kick about before we started.  I make sure I have a good warm up before I kick a ball now.  I've got one of these fitbit type things, and I average about 15,000 steps during the session, so you cover a lot of ground.

1 hour ago, Steve S 60 said:

Heavy drinking and ball sports don't mix very well.

neither does the other stuff...that's why i generally ducked-out. Left back ( no not in the changing rooms) Sunday mornings.

33 minutes ago, Spain pete said:

OK  back on track ,  no football for me last night due to rain , even though it was 25 degrees ,  how many more excuses will my Amigo's come up with 👎

We play indoors for the first 90 minutes then go outside on the astro turf for an hour (weather permitting).  If it's raining we stay indoors but we're down to half the sports hall as the Badminton lot take the other half.  Normally get about twenty turning up.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.