Soul Art

Mike

1 hour ago, seano said:

Hi Mike,

like the idea of this thread. I've posted 2 new albums in the photos section related to this:

And here's a painting by a guy called Martin Grover who exhibited in Oxford a few years ago, along with the text from the flyer:

great pass on

yep talking and sharing always going to be a good thing

here's some cover art...

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Friend of mine has just sent me this link to a website who will make a bespoke piece of art for your wall:

https://www.snapgalleries.com/portfolio-items/welcome-to-the-temple-of-wax/

Personally I like the unframed option, but they all look pretty good.

Back in mid-february I also saw this in Sister Ray in Berwick st in London, another approach to enlarged art for the wall:

IMG_1413.jpg

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Stopped off on the way back from Liverpool at the weekend in St Albans and happened to pass a Gallery that was showing a guy called Morgan Howell’s work .. 

Spoke to him and asked if he’d ever thought of doing a Frank Wilson single .. and he had been asked that question a few times of late ..

“ How much for an original piece “ I asked , hoping a may be able to save an buy one ... “£12,000 “ was the answer .. a limited edition print of the original artwork would be a lot cheaper if he ever did one , but he has some nice prints .

Check out the website ! 

Any more art related Soul out there that’s anyone has come across ? 

Green_Onions_Framed_1024x1024.jpg?v=1388238888

https://supersizeart.myshopify.com/collections/all

Social source share

I've got a few more I'll photograph and post. I sketch most places but not done many of people dancing, I like it though it's a new challenge, especially as it's often pretty dark inside and you can't always see what you're doing. Here's a few I did of Geno Washington and the Ram Jam Band last year. That was easier as they were relatively static. 

Geno Washington & sax player 15-9-17.jpg

Geno Washington & The Ram Jam Band 15-9-17.jpg

Geno Washington stage 15-9-17.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I remember doing a fair bit of nighter centred stuff when I was at art college (did a lot of drawing at Morecambe Pier and The Unicorn in Leighton Buzzard - not sure if it was me or everyone else who got most paranoid - art on durophet is fun though, but not as much fun as graphic design on MDMA).

Not quite sure what the crack is with this Morgan Howell guy - I can get you a high res print of a label and an exhibition print on plain paper for the sleeve about 3 feet across done for about £40 total (from what I can see he's done much the same - except that he's airbrushed on the tone on the columbia label - probably simply to avoid moire pattern of a straight print; moire is the 'tartan' effect you get from scanning half tone dots) - then it's just a case of putting them together and mounting them.

Dx

PS With the 'vinyl' being routed out of black acrylic with a standard signmakers' CAD cutter

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

I thought they were prints at first (well they are, prints of the paintings) but he's done actual paintings of the records and sleeves at a large size. Interesting because when they are reduced and photographed, as they are here, they just look like the originals. There's better images of the large size originals here. https://www.williamsart.co.uk/Williams_Art/Morgan_Howell_Wonderwall.html 

Edited by Timillustrator
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

I guess it's similar to some of the original American Photorealists like Chuck Close, John Salt and Richard Estes - you look at their stuff online or in a book it just looks like a photo; when you see the original paintings on the wall of a gallery you see all the brushwork and defects and they are even quite crude close up. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!