Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Jump to content
  • Sign Up
Stubbsy

Ike Strong - "Your Love Keeps Me Dancing"

Recommended Posts

Be grateful if anyone can give me the lowdown on this one, i.e.

Year of release

Who broke it

Where was it played (a good bet I imagine would be Rotherham, Clifton Hall)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Stubbsy said:

Be grateful if anyone can give me the lowdown on this one, i.e.

Year of release

Who broke it

Where was it played (a good bet I imagine would be Rotherham, Clifton Hall)

 

Pretty certain it was Richard Searling latter days at Wigan (how much for a copy nowadays?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, micksmix said:

Pretty certain it was Richard Searling latter days at Wigan (how much for a copy nowadays?)

Yes I think it was Richard at last days of Wigan.  It was also a massive record for him, and others, at Clifton Hall. It was one of those modern anthems for me back then. I don’t think it’s rare but it doesn’t come up often - I don’t yhink you’ll get one for less than £200.

Youre calling out some good records Stubbsy.

Pete  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Yes I think it was Richard at last days of Wigan.  It was also a massive record for him, and others, at Clifton Hall. It was one of those modern anthems for me back then. I don’t think it’s rare but it doesn’t come up often - I don’t yhink you’ll get one for less than £200.

Youre calling out some good records Stubbsy.

Pete  

Cheers mate :thumbup:

Speaking of modern anthem it reminds me a lot of Curtis "How Can I tell Her"!

Just had a look on Popsike - last genuine one went for £335 May last year. Before then varies in price so would imagine you're right about the not get one for less than £200. Strikes me that it's one of those that, although not massively expensive in the bigger scheme of things, will be a hard on to find.

Bloody hell, there's one on Popsike that is clearly described a carver and someone forked out £60 for it :ohmy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stubbsy said:

Cheers mate :thumbup:

Speaking of modern anthem it reminds me a lot of Curtis "How Can I tell Her"!

Just had a look on Popsike - last genuine one went for £335 May last year. Before then varies in price so would imagine you're right about the not get one for less than £200. Strikes me that it's one of those that, although not massively expensive in the bigger scheme of things, will be a hard on to find.

Bloody hell, there's one on Popsike that is clearly described a carver and someone forked out £60 for it :ohmy:

Sold for 550 last year on Facebook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, chalky said:

Sold for 550 last year on Facebook

Wow. There’s also the mega rare alternative version with the different chorus. A Butch find and a topic previously discussed on SS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Stubbsy said:

Cheers mate :thumbup:

Speaking of modern anthem it reminds me a lot of Curtis "How Can I tell Her"!

Just had a look on Popsike - last genuine one went for £335 May last year. Before then varies in price so would imagine you're right about the not get one for less than £200. Strikes me that it's one of those that, although not massively expensive in the bigger scheme of things, will be a hard on to find.

Bloody hell, there's one on Popsike that is clearly described a carver and someone forked out £60 for it :ohmy:

Yep Curtis was a mega record - still love. Also two versions - with or without the disco bongos. It’s never straight forward is it. Managed to get a bingo one some years ago before prices went from mad to bad! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, chalky said:

Same record on Wilkerr on a 12 although Butch has a very rare 7.

Cheers Chalky :thumbup:

The one on Willkerr I think you are referring to is titled "Keep Me Dancing" by True image - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :yes:. Same song but inferior to the Ike Strong version (IMHO)!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Yep Curtis was a mega record - still love. Also two versions - with or without the disco bongos. It’s never straight forward is it. Managed to get a bingo one some years ago before prices went from mad to bad! 

I've got the disco bongos version too :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Wow. There’s also the mega rare alternative version with the different chorus. A Butch find and a topic previously discussed on SS. 

Bloody Butch! Always has to be different to us mere mortals :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stubbsy said:

Cheers Chalky :thumbup:

The one on Willkerr I think you are referring to is titled "Keep Me Dancing" by True image - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :yes:. Same song but inferior to the Ike Strong version (IMHO)!

I think the True Image version is Ike Stong and a band. I could be wrong.

apologies Chalky I didn’t see you beat me to the Butch find. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Stubbsy said:

Cheers Chalky :thumbup:

The one on Willkerr I think you are referring to is titled "Keep Me Dancing" by True image - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :yes:. Same song but inferior to the Ike Strong version (IMHO)!

It s virtually the same with just one line changed if memory serves. Obviously the 12 is extended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, chalky said:

Covered by Richard as Lee Moore and the Resourceful Ones at Wigan, 1981 maybe little earlier.

I remember Sam and Arthur playing this in the modern rooms at the same time.  Nearly all of the big modern tunes from that time came via Soul Bowl, and I think this was one of them.  I remember Sam uncovering this (and some other modern tunes which I have a list of somewhere) about 1981 and there being a bit of an altercation between him and RS who didn't know he had done so and was still playing them as c/ups in the main room.....but that's another story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Sign Up

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign up now!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts



×