Ike Strong - "Your Love Keeps Me Dancing"

16 minutes ago, Stubbsy said:

Be grateful if anyone can give me the lowdown on this one, i.e.

Year of release

Who broke it

Where was it played (a good bet I imagine would be Rotherham, Clifton Hall)

Pretty certain it was Richard Searling latter days at Wigan (how much for a copy nowadays?)

Social source share

34 minutes ago, micksmix said:

Pretty certain it was Richard Searling latter days at Wigan (how much for a copy nowadays?)

Yes I think it was Richard at last days of Wigan.  It was also a massive record for him, and others, at Clifton Hall. It was one of those modern anthems for me back then. I don’t think it’s rare but it doesn’t come up often - I don’t yhink you’ll get one for less than £200.

Youre calling out some good records Stubbsy.

Pete  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

20 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Yes I think it was Richard at last days of Wigan.  It was also a massive record for him, and others, at Clifton Hall. It was one of those modern anthems for me back then. I don’t think it’s rare but it doesn’t come up often - I don’t yhink you’ll get one for less than £200.

Youre calling out some good records Stubbsy.

Pete  

Cheers mate :thumbup:

Speaking of modern anthem it reminds me a lot of Curtis "How Can I tell Her"!

Just had a look on Popsike - last genuine one went for £335 May last year. Before then varies in price so would imagine you're right about the not get one for less than £200. Strikes me that it's one of those that, although not massively expensive in the bigger scheme of things, will be a hard on to find.

Bloody hell, there's one on Popsike that is clearly described a carver and someone forked out £60 for it :ohmy:

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Stubbsy said:

Just had a look on Popsike - last genuine one went for £335 May last year. Before then varies in price so would imagine you're right about the not get one for less than £200. Strikes me that it's one of those that, although not massively expensive in the bigger scheme of things, will be a hard on to find.

Bloody hell, there's one on Popsike that is clearly described a carver and someone forked out £60 for it :ohmy:

Sold for 550 last year on Facebook

Social source share

7 minutes ago, Stubbsy said:

Yep Curtis was a mega record - still love. Also two versions - with or without the disco bongos. It’s never straight forward is it. Managed to get a bingo one some years ago before prices went from mad to bad! 

Social source share

8 minutes ago, chalky said:

Same record on Wilkerr on a 12 although Butch has a very rare 7.

Cheers Chalky :thumbup:

The one on Willkerr I think you are referring to is titled "Keep Me Dancing" by True image - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :yes:. Same song but inferior to the Ike Strong version (IMHO)!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Yep Curtis was a mega record - still love. Also two versions - with or without the disco bongos. It’s never straight forward is it. Managed to get a bingo one some years ago before prices went from mad to bad! 

I've got the disco bongos version too :thumbup:

Social source share

8 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Wow. There’s also the mega rare alternative version with the different chorus. A Butch find and a topic previously discussed on SS. 

Bloody Butch! Always has to be different to us mere mortals :D

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Stubbsy said:

The one on Willkerr I think you are referring to is titled "Keep Me Dancing" by True image - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :yes:. Same song but inferior to the Ike Strong version (IMHO)!

I think the True Image version is Ike Stong and a band. I could be wrong.

apologies Chalky I didn’t see you beat me to the Butch find. 

Social source share

16 minutes ago, Stubbsy said:

It s virtually the same with just one line changed if memory serves. Obviously the 12 is extended.

Social source share

Guest woolie mark
11 hours ago, chalky said:

Covered by Richard as Lee Moore and the Resourceful Ones at Wigan, 1981 maybe little earlier.

I remember Sam and Arthur playing this in the modern rooms at the same time.  Nearly all of the big modern tunes from that time came via Soul Bowl, and I think this was one of them.  I remember Sam uncovering this (and some other modern tunes which I have a list of somewhere) about 1981 and there being a bit of an altercation between him and RS who didn't know he had done so and was still playing them as c/ups in the main room.....but that's another story.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!