Record shops in Florida and South?

Hi all im visiting Florida at the moment and want to know the best places for records? We will be driving from Florida to Jacksonville to Savannah to Charleston staying in a few hotels on the way.

I've googled a few, rock n roll heaven, banana records all sound pretty good.

Any recommendations would be great.

Thanks

L

Social source share

I used to go to Florida a lot, about twenty years ago. Even then, record shops were dying out. All the places I used to visit regularly had gone, for various reasons.

I don't want to be too negative. Of course it's always fun looking through records. But just look on it as fun, don't expect too much.

Good luck. I don't know if Always Buying in Palm Beach is still going. He used to buy stuff on a regular basis.

Social source share

Rock & Roll Heaven and Banana's worth a look but don't expect to find any bargains there they've both been done to death by the Brits and most, if not all, of the US dealers are now clued up on the value of soul records!

Social source share

I’ve had that same experience in Florida on the three occasions I’ve been there looking, not allot about I’m afraid, If you can get to Fort Lauderdale you will start to find more, quite a few places to look there 

buena suerte Señor

Mal

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

2 hours ago, Mal C said:

I’ve had that same experience in Florida on the three occasions I’ve been there looking, not allot about I’m afraid, If you can get to Fort Lauderdale you will start to find more, quite a few places to look there 

buena suerte Señor

Mal

I looked there a few years ago Mal. I found and visited only one record shop and guess what there sat boldly on the counter was a John Manship guide! null 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I don't know if I would go out of my way to go to Banana's. I was there 5-6 years ago.

On the plus side, I was there with another person and after 3 hours, we still didn't get through

all the 45's. Another plus was nothing was priced.

On the minus side, nothing was priced. The person at the counter said just bring up what you find

and, I'll give you a price. I had about 10 45's and the clerk told me what they do was go on the internet

and take the high and low prices and then give an average price which sounded reasonable. Anyway,

a half hour later he was still pricing the 45's.  I don't know what he did but- everything was priced sky high.

To be fair- that was 5-6 years ago. Also, the same person might not work there and they could have changed

their pricing policy.

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
1 hour ago, Stubbsy said:

I looked there a few years ago Mal. I found and visited only one record shop and guess what there sat boldly on the counter was a John Manship guide! null 

this is the problem nowadays with the internet and general improvement in $$ ££ knowledge - best just to buy from decent dealers or find bargains on line, rarely go near record shops now cos everyone clued up, no bargains

Social source share

Guest GruveRecords

I'm in South Florida. You could message me if you happen to be down here and dig through my boxes.  Could clue you in on a couple record shows we will be having very soon as well. 

You won't find any Record Stores out here with a good 45 inventory. Very dry here. Myself and a few other private dealers have far better inventories than the Stores.  There are some better stores in Orlando. 

45s in general are difficult to come across around here. Flea Markets or Thrifts will mostly be a waste of time and most other deals are done behind the scenes. 

Bananas has another name now. Still operated the same way though (look up the price). To me that's off-putting enough to never spend any time there. 

Edited by GruveRecords
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!