woolie mark

Afrobeat, Afrofunk....and all that sort of thing

Picked this one up in a junk shop for £2 because it looked interesting.  It's a afrobeat / latin hybrid but check out the personnel... Ron Carter, Billy Cobham, Ray Barretto, Bob Cranshaw, etc.

IMG_1273.JPG.b0899662eb21c5e33656230c27a4dcb1.JPGSeun Kuti at the Sage Gateshead just a couple of weeks back. We kept bumping into each other that week: at the Jazz FM Awards ceremony in London on the Monday night, where he was presenting an award and I was getting hammered on free cava; at the Sage on Wednesday, and then at Cheltenham on the Saturday.

Saw his brother Femi in Durham a few years back and, on the way out, somebody said 'best night out ever in Durham' and, excepting all-dayers at Dunelm and nights at the Three Tuns in the mid-seventies, I'd probably agree. 

Kokoroko, featuring several ladies - a good thing for a genre with a reputation for sexism - closed the Saturday night at the Gateshead Jazz Festival at the Sage this year and the audience would have been happy for them to play all night. There's a track on the jazz sampler CD We Out Here called Abusey Junction and they have their own CD imminent.

I hate to admit it but my favourite Fela tracks are still the ones Alex Lowes used to play at Buddys in Stockton in the early eighties - Lady and Roforofo Fight (both on the Music is the Weapon Best Of CD) - back when Alex was flitting from American jazz to British jazz to Japanese jazz to African jazz (well, Afrobeat) to Brazilian jazz (actually any music from Brazil). He never had a clue about any of them.

IMG_1273.JPG

Posted (edited)

Nico Gomez & His Afro Percussion 'Ritual'

For me 'Ritual' is a perfect example of the brilliant sounding musical experimentation that was rife in the 70s..a really nice blend of Afro and Latin styles on this one and the groove is absolutely slamming.

Ikebe Shakedown 'Hard Stepping'

Released in 2009 on Colemine Records.

Edited by Soulsides

44 minutes ago, themroc said:

Hypnotic. Saw him live at Glastonbury before the hipsters ruined it and started calling it Glaso😤

You sure?  Rose tinted glasses?  When the so-called travellers came down and set fire to the food village, and the prices of class A drugs were openly displayed on chalk boards?  It was much better in those days though, I saw Fela with his full band close the old pyramid stage on a Sunday night in the eighties and he was just sensational.

3 hours ago, woolie mark said:

You sure?  Rose tinted glasses?  When the so-called travellers came down and set fire to the food village, and the prices of class A drugs were openly displayed on chalk boards?  It was much better in those days though, I saw Fela with his full band close the old pyramid stage on a Sunday night in the eighties and he was just sensational.

Twas the same year that Dennis Brown played with Aswad backing him he sung Promised Land and it still makes the malanky hairs on my arms stand endwise when I vidi in my head brother! Or was that the year before? They do say if you rember it you weren't there🤩 Did 2 blotters and got the worst sunburn of my life. 

On 19/05/2018 at 05:28, woolie mark said:

I don’t think this video plays in UK?  I can’t play it.

Not sure what's going on with you tube- had this happen a few times this year.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.