Poll: Overseas Weekenders?

Mike

Overseas Weekenders?  

1. 1. Have you ever attended a 'overseas' weekender?

• Yep
    • Nope

This poll is closed to new votes

This weeks poll, just a quick for fun/interest survey of members travelling for soul habits

Have you ever attended an 'overseas' (as in a non-home country) soul weekender?

as always comments related to this weeks poll most welcome below!

Social source share

1 hour ago, mike said:

This weeks poll, just a quick for fun/interest survey of members travelling for soul habits

Went to frankfurt weekender 2007 I think,the germans wer mad for it 👍 venue on three floors,top floor overlooking the river,middle floor and a cellar which was very dark and looked really seedy,about turned and went back up t middle floor😂 place was chocca all weekend. Best baz

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, baz1 said:

Went to frankfurt weekender 2007 I think,the germans wer mad for it 👍 venue on three floors,top floor overlooking the river,middle floor and a cellar which was very dark and looked really seedy,about turned and went back up t middle floor😂 place was chocca all weekend. Best baz

Been to Frankfurt a couple of times, Arthur Fenn and Terry Jones guesting at one and Mick H and Andy Dyson at another. Great young up for anything crowd and accross the board sounds in that great three floor venue with balconys on all floors to chill on and watch the river go by

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Topical, most of our soul friends (mostly Gloucester crowd who come to the weekenders here) are in Benidorm this weekend watching Eddie Holman live, I believe there is one on in Korfu also, or there is soon.

Neither of us have ever been to one, not my thing really, not in Europe, wouldn't mind going to one in California, or Russia, if they have them.

Neither of us ever been overseas, I have been to the Scillies and the Channel Islands that's it, we've never owned passports, don't know if we ever will, wouldn't mind Amsterdam soul maybe sometime, but Spain, Greece, Tenerife nah.

We relocated to West Cornwall twenty years ago so we live in a wicked place, don't really feel the need to go anywhere that isn't as nice as home.

Not for us but those who do, fair play to 'em!

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Try Rome, not a weekender but easily fitted in with a week/end break in the greatest city on earth.

Marco & Leo are good friends of ours, but that aside it's top quality tunes, a great venue and a wonderful city.

Social source share

when I read the comments from some of these events I imagine some gigantic, cool party with hundreds of people. The reality of the photos is yet to meet that. wouldn't get a plane to dance with people who still where red or yellow jeans, lol! 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Never actually been to a UK weekender, but ones around Europe I've been to have been awesome. Lots of love to Hamburg and Not Too Young Lucerne! 

...and to self-promote a bit, anyone interested in trying a different weekender experience is welcome to the 2nd year of our Copenhagen Soul Weekender at the end of this August 😉 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

now entering the last few days on this

thanks to all who have took part and/or passed on views

- close call so far so if haven't hit the button yet best do so now, as your vote may just make that difference :thumbsup:

Social source share

There are certainly plenty of European soul weekenders to choose from, and the number of them is growing. For about three and a half years now, I've been running a Facebook group called the European Soul Club Network, which is a continually updated listing of soul events taking place in "mainland" Europe (everywhere except the UK).

In 2016, 27 weekenders were listed. In 2017 there were 30. In 2018, we now have 35, and two have already been confirmed for 2019!

Not all of them will be a success and some will cease to exist after one or two offerings, and undoubtedly others will come along to take their place. At the same time, plenty of weekenders are well-established fixtures on the soul calendar while some relative newcomers have already established a solid reputation for themselves.

The growth of European weekenders goes very much hand-in-hand with the explosion of pan-european soul events generally. I compile an annual breakdown showing the most "soulful" European countries and cities (ie, how many events were recorded).

In 2017, the European Soul Club Network listed 266 events - up from 195 in 2016. The top 5 countries with the most events in 2017 were:

1st. Germany = 85
2nd. Italy = 33
3rd. Netherlands = 27
4th. Spain = 23
5th. Sweden = 22

The top 5 European cities with the most events were:

Amsterdam (NL) = 25
Hamburg (DE) = 20
Berlin (DE) = 18
Dublin (IE) = 13
Stockholm (SE) = 13 

Budget air travel has done much to encourage the rise of soul events, and weekenders especially, across Europe. And long may that last!

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Tidy up wording
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

On 19/05/2018 at 08:57, mike said:

ok  will call it  a day on the poll

again thank to all who took part both voting and commenting

the final result was 52% have v 48% haven't!

which was a bit closer than I would have thought ?

on a site feature plug

we do have an international events section as in worldwide (non-uk) on here 

this listing automatically picks up and lists all  the 'international' events from the 'main' section via the entered locations

so if involved in any worldwide soul events and not on here then feel free to add, inform and spread the word

here you go...

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/calendar/15-international/

more 'tailored' listings to follow

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!