Jerry Blackshear on eBay

Does anyone know if the Jerry Blackshears going through eBay are original or reissues? The seller was previously selling Jerry's personal copies and listing them as "used" and specified original, but these last few listings have weird looking labels and are being listed as "new". I tried asking, but no response. He's sold three so far with another currently up and all have gone for over a grand. 

Here's a link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/JERRY-BLACKSHEAR-Defected-You-Are-The-One-45-RARE-Ohio-Modern-Soul-Funk-HEAR/173325259847?hash=item285afd9447:g:1QkAAOSwb-tZ2-ii

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Well, looking at this image and comparing it to that of an original, there are many differences.

The original has a much thinner diamond in the logo, which is positioned so as to see the four quarters  On the new one the 3 o'clock diamond is offset and can't be seen. The text height is different too.

Also I see the bottom three lines are spaces differently, and the address is also positioned differently. I think the fonts used are modern day computer fonts shaped as best as possible to match the original, but never quite getting it right.

Here's some images. Apart from above, you can see there are other differences, like the dip on the middle ...

Here's an Original . . .

Orig.thumb.jpg.1c5262882867e00986db78128321dfe6.jpg

. . . and here's the new copy . . .

New.jpg.1026d536835e6d1b72bcbeb50189803e.jpg

To me, now I've put sized images up together, it's very obvious it's just a modern copy.

Cheers
Mick

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 20/05/2018 at 16:18, Steve Lane said:

Looks very similar to the Cheatin kind, Sedgrick 45 that came with the album. Same swirly label.

Exactly - But This Was The Legal Pressing by TrampRecords ... But There Are Another Pressing Lets Name It The "Re-Re-ReissueBoot" Maybe A U.K. Boot.

Difference Is The Typing Of "VANLEER" And "VAN LEER"

Social source share

The thing that really saddens me most is the fact that he's involving Jerry himself into his dodgy scheme.

We met Jerry a couple of years ago and he and his wife were such nice hosts. And we heard the stories of him getting the short end of the deal in the industry despite his obvious talent. Btw I have a pretty good idea of who's behind the pressing. If you got stung PM me and I'll gladly point you in the right direction.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!