Members Introductions - Welcome to Soul Source

• 3 weeks later...

Guest Poppy Turner

hi everyone! 

I'm new to soul source,  and comparatively new to northern soul I suppose as I wasn't born yet in the 70s! I grew up listening to northern soul though and I've been djing for about a year  - I run a couple of regular soul nights in manchester and in west yorkshire. 

looking forward to getting to know some fellow soul fans.

Social source share

2 hours ago, Poppy Turner said:

hi everyone! 

I'm new to soul source,  and comparatively new to northern soul I suppose as I wasn't born yet in the 70s! I grew up listening to northern soul though and I've been djing for about a year  - I run a couple of regular soul nights in manchester and in west yorkshire. 

looking forward to getting to know some fellow soul fans.

Brilliant stuff Poppy, be sure to visit us in 'All about the soul' and 'Look at your box' tell us about your favourite soul tunes and post a few sounds up!

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Been lurking on here for a week or two now and thought it was about time I introduced myself. Sixties baby found black music through EW&F and The Crusaders at the tail end of the Seventies. Been a (general) DJ in the past and doing some (low end) vinyl trading at record fairs. Interested in most genres of black music, hence the moniker. Despite a general interest in 60's/70's soul through Stax, Chess, Atlantic, Motown and Philadelphia et all my understanding of Northern (the Scene moreso than the music) would benefit from some education. 

Looking forward to making a contribution.

(Another) Steve

Edited by Soulfusion
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Soulfusion said:

Hi All

Been lurking on here for a week or two now and thought it was about time I introduced myself. Sixties baby found black music through EW&F and The Crusaders at the tail end of the Seventies. Been a (general) DJ in the past and doing some (low end) vinyl trading at record fairs. Interested in most genres of black music, hence the moniker. Despite a general interest in 60's/70's soul through Stax, Chess, Atlantic, Motown and Philadelphia et all my understanding of Northern (the Scene moreso than the music) would benefit from some education. 

(Another) Steve

Welcome Steve

Peter

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 15:12, Soulfusion said:

Hi All

(Another) Steve

Welcome Steve, wealth of knowledge here at SS on the Northern Soul music and scene throughout it's history!

Be sure to check us out at 'All About The Soul' (Scene, music and characters, history etc) and 'Look At Your Box' (Music, collecting, valuing etc)...

Best wishes!

Social source share

On ‎08‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 09:58, davace said:

Morning all

Good to be here.I'm a blues musician into R+B tinged NS.

Dave

Welcome Dave, there's a few of us musos here at SS!

51 minutes ago, Tuppy said:

Hi I’m Mick. 

Im from York and I’ve loved listening to northern soul for about 10 years. 

Been to a couple of events on this website and loved them. 

Cheers. 

Mick. 

Hi Mick, and welcome!

Dave and Mick, be sure to check us out at 'All About The Soul' (Scene, music and characters, history etc) and 'Look At Your Box' (Music, collecting, valuing etc)... 

Best wishes!

Social source share

On 03/10/2018 at 15:12, Soulfusion said:

Hi All

(Another) Steve

I'm. Spartacus.  Steve.  Ste

Oops wrong thread again.  

Seriously though welcome to the not as mad as it used to be mad house.  Enjoy your journey. 

Another Steve 

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

On 30/10/2018 at 13:38, Peter99 said:

Do yer like modern Mick?

:wicked:

:hatsoff2:

Hi Pater 99. 

Funny you should ask. Up till now not sure how much modern I’ve heard, going to Leicester this Saturday where the different rooms may help to identify the differences. 

Cheers. 

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, David Cartlidge said:

Hi everyone been into soul music since I was 12 years old 54 now do a bit of djing and love collecting dave

Welcome to the madness that is Soul Source, where tinnitus and cartilage troubles abound.  Mind you're step, there's a rocky road ahead of you, but feel free to comment on anything, the most they do isn't that savage as long as you have broad shoulders and a lively sense of humour.

Dave

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Hi, Martin here from Redhill, Surrey, thanks for welcoming me. Somewhat bucking the trend on here, I collect mainly from 1976 onwards, the 60's sounds generally too early for me. In order to show some conformity I decided to pull out 25 of my favourite soul 45's from 1970-75 which should meet most members approval. In year order:

Eric & The Vikings - Vibrations, Five Flights Up - Do what you wanna do, The Producers - Love is amazing, Bull & The Cap' - No sign of sadness, Gaslight - Drifting away, Love & B'hood - You're my man, Showstoppers - Pick up your smile, Anacostia - On and off, Brighter Side - Love Jones/I'm the guy, Blue Magic - Look me up, Ultra High Freq - Right track, Velvet - Bet you if you ask, Invitations - Look on the good side, Mayberry Movement - Good to know/Think i'm in love, 5 Wagers - Come and ask me, Joe Anderson - You and I, Charisma Band - Ain't nothing like/Charisma Road, Dee Ervin & Difosco - You broke me face, Elegant Taste - Champagne and caviar, Jay & T'ques - Don't ask me/Number onederful, Joneses - Name of the game, David Lenyard - It could have been you, Liquid Smoke - Where is our love, Love Committee - Am I wasting time/Heaven', Magic Night - If you and I had never met. 

I'm into a wide range of music, so here's some reminiscing: First record bought: Eddie & Hot Rods - Do anything you wanna do, 1977, what a tune. John Peel listener/taper almost every night 78 to 84 unless I was at a gig, of which the first 3 were all July 1979 and at the same venue, The Nashville, West Kensington: The Mekons/Fashion, The Ruts (only days before Malcolm's death), Simple Minds. Best gig: The Skids, Simple Minds, Pink Military, Hammersmith Palais, 26 August 1980. Best ever performance: Simple Minds at the aforementioned, a truly mind blowing experience. Best day of my life to date: Probably 26 March 1980, BBC Maida Vale Studios, The Bodies - John Peel session. I'd written to the band's singer a few weeks earlier having just bought their only single Art Nouveau, and in his reply Mark told me about the upcoming session but didn't invite me as such. None the less I turned up there early that morning just as the band were arriving, introduced myself and immediately helped unload the gear, and spent the entire day in the studio with them. I was only 15 at the time, can you imagine how much this meant to me?

I started playing bass in 1980, shortly after which I started listening to the South London soul/funk pirate stations and became hooked. I soon realised that even though I was now working from June 1980 having just turned 16, I was never going to be able to afford or find all the then newly released records I wanted especially as so many were import only. Thankfully some years later as a full time record seller from 1991 to 2008, I was able to amass more than I ever could have imagined.

The peak years for me are 1980-1984. Best 3 Soul/Boogie 12": Transit - Dance Groove (I did say I was a bass player after all), Unique - What I got is what you need, Advance - Take me to the top. Best funk 45: The Firebolts - Everybody Party Get Down, 1976. Favourite musician: Mark King, closely followed by any number of other bass players including Wayne Braithwaite, Doug Wimbish, Marcus Miller, Wojtek Pilichowski, I could go on all day and usually do.

I shall sign off by conveying my thanks to my best friend on the music scene, who is sadly no longer with us, Gary Lee. We used to talk most nights from when I first met him in 1989, until he had his first stroke. Gary kept a low profile and very few people had any idea of just how knowledgeable he was, I was lucky to be one of those few.

Martin

Edited by Guest
Social source share

@Martin S Welcome friend!

Now that is my kind of introductory post! Smashing, welcome to SS.

Please visit and post in the AATS and LAYB forums on here, and everywhere else of course but particularly those two, a great deal of knowledge and love for the canon is contained therein, you'll be in esteemed company plus your input will be most appreciated!

Cheers, best wishes.

Social source share

Hey everyone! I'm Holly

Just introducing myself here, hope you've all been having a great weekend!

I'm selling some great northern soul with my martial arts coach who's a huge northern soul fan and has had his record collection for years. Unfortunately he is digitally inept... hence my assistance!

Looks like a nice and friendly community here!

Social source share

10 hours ago, HollyQuinn said:

I'm selling some great northern soul with my martial arts coach

I'm feeling lucky here so do you by any chance have anything by Carl Douglas?

Social source share

23 hours ago, HollyQuinn said:

I'm selling some great northern soul with my martial arts coach. I'll ask him if he's got some Carl Douglas stashed away

Now you have a photo on your profile it appears my original request would have passed over you as you look way too young to know what the title of Carl Douglas' biggest hit (if you'll excuse the pun) was? LOL

Edited by Guest
Social source share

12 hours ago, Martin S said:

Now you have a photo on your profile it appears my original request would have passed over you as you look way too young to know what the title of Carl Douglas' biggest hit (if you'll excuse the pun) was? LOL

I don't think age has anything to do with what you can enjoy musically! and I am aware of Carl Douglas but I couldn't call myself a big fan. I don't listen to any music from my era but I'm not the northern soul pro, that's my coach. 

Also I asked him and he has no Carl Douglas, apologies!

Just now, HollyQuinn said:

I don't think age has anything to do with what you can enjoy musically! and I am aware of Carl Douglas but I couldn't call myself a big fan. I don't listen to any music from my era but I'm not the northern soul pro, that's my coach. 

Also I asked him and he has no Carl Douglas, apologies!

I'm wondering if this was just a pun the whole time? 😅

Social source share

Hi my name is Neal and I run and DJ at Let Your Backbone Slip Rythym and Soul Club in Leighton buzzard with my partner Aisling,  it's a new night we had our opening night in September and It was well attended. Our next night is Jan 25th at the British legion in Leighton buzzard. I'm passionate about Soul and R&B and i collect vinyl, hoping to meet some like minded people and spread the word about our night. Thanks and KTF ✊

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, SkinheadSoulBhoy said:

Hi my name is Neal and I run and DJ at Let Your Backbone Slip Rythym and Soul Club in Leighton buzzard with my partner Aisling,  it's a new night we had our opening night in September and It was well attended. Our next night is Jan 25th at the British legion in Leighton buzzard. I'm passionate about Soul and R&B and i collect vinyl, hoping to meet some like minded people and spread the word about our night. Thanks and KTF ✊

Welcome Neal, there may be one or two vinyl collectors here, feel free to post up a few sounds/playlist details! :hatsoff2:

Social source share

4 hours ago, SkinheadSoulBhoy said:

Hi Neal,

Welcome to Soul-source mate.

You may want to check your spelling of 'Rhythm' - I Only point it out because I spelled it wrong on my huge banner of 'The Wollaston Rhythm and Soul Club' back in the 80's, and all these years later I still get stick from Mace about my 'poor spelling' :D

Enjoy!

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Spain pete
4 hours ago, SkinheadSoulBhoy said:

How's Leighton buzzard now a days Neal ? l use to love going to the unicorn club and buzzards hall many moons ago,  the towns got quite a bit of northern soul history l'm  sure there's many of Old odd folk on here that will share their memory's with you  welcome aboard

Social source share

Hi!

I'm a 31 year old guy from Sweden who's been collecting records, mainly LPs and 12 inch singles, for 4 years or so. For most of my life I've been listening to hiphop and I've also been producing hip hop beats on samplers and computers. Soon after I started buying records I my musical taste expanded rapidly. Today I mostly listen to jazz, soul, disco, early 80s boogie and hiphop/rnb. I've never been big on 60s soul until a couple of weeks ago when I heard "Just be sincere" with Jackie Wilson which blew me away within seconds of hearing it. Such a nice, driving groove and such a great vocal performance!

Now I'm rapidly developing an addiction to collecting 45s. Judging by how much relatively rare but FANTASTIC music there seems to be out there it's going to be an expensive hobby, but what you gonna do? :)  

Found this forum a couple of days ago and it seems to be a wonderful community!

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Guest Spain pete
13 hours ago, Babinski said:

Hi!

I'm a 31 year old guy from Sweden who's been collecting records, mainly LPs and 12 inch singles, for 4 years or so. For most of my life I've been listening to hiphop and I've also been producing hip hop beats on samplers and computers. Soon after I started buying records I my musical taste expanded rapidly. Today I mostly listen to jazz, soul, disco, early 80s boogie and hiphop/rnb. I've never been big on 60s soul until a couple of weeks ago when I heard "Just be sincere" with Jackie Wilson which blew me away within seconds of hearing it. Such a nice, driving groove and such a great vocal performance!

Now I'm rapidly developing an addiction to collecting 45s. Judging by how much relatively rare but FANTASTIC music there seems to be out there it's going to be an expensive hobby, but what you gonna do? :)  

You will be glad you found this site bab  Jackie Wilson is a legend but that is the tip of the iceberg as you will find out have a happy musical journey Pete 😉

Social source share

14 hours ago, Babinski said:

Hi!

Welcome to SS, I envy your position, being new to 60s Soul is a wonderful place to be, a whole world of fantastic music is on it's way to your ears!

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/05/2018 at 11:15, source team said:

A new topic set up for new (or even longtime ) members to post up a Soul Source intro

Nothing major needed, just a quick heads up to all our members, letting them know that you are on here and ideally a brief bit about yourself.

It's a great way to break the ice!

Back enjoying myself & the music again! Some of you may remember me as "Sammy" from wigan? If you do, then "HI", if you don't "HI" anyway.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/05/2018 at 11:15, source team said:

A new topic set up for new (or even longtime ) members to post up a Soul Source intro

Nothing major needed, just a quick heads up to all our members, letting them know that you are on here and ideally a brief bit about yourself.

It's a great way to break the ice!

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. Got to admit I've been sneaking around in the dark on this great site for a while mainly for venues. So much knowledge,banter and generaly great chat among like minded souls. Should have signed up a long time ago. Hope to participate in some of the chat and maybe even meet up with some of the northern soul scene legends. I'm off down to the weekender in Wales at the end of the month in support of my fellow country man Colin Law of True soul. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 19:04, Quinny said:

Hi all. Got to admit I've been sneaking around in the dark on this great site for a while mainly for venues. So much knowledge,banter and generaly great chat among like minded souls. Should have signed up a long time ago. Hope to participate in some of the chat and maybe even meet up with some of the northern soul scene legends. I'm off down to the weekender in Wales at the end of the month in support of my fellow country man Colin Law of True soul. 

Welcome to Soulsource!

Good man, get down there!

Northern soul legends... ?        😎

Be sure to come into 'All about the soul' and 'Look at your Box' forums, great sounds in there and feel free to contribute some of your fave spins in there! :hatsoff2:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/01/2019 at 11:42, CJPWHU96 said:

Hi guys

Been collecting Northern Soul for 3 years now. Starting DJ'ing last year doing 3 gigs and more to come this year! 22 years old still discovering all aspects of this beautiful scene! Cam

Welcome to Soul Source and enjoy your journey that will hopefully turn into a lifetime of memories 

Steve 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!