A youth culture left in the hands of old men'

7 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

That youth culture has made me the person that I am today.  Don't really know any other way of life. What am I supposed to do ? Would love to know . We where the lucky ones . There isn't even a youth culture today when I look at my kids . 

Steve 

All of the above, Could not have put it better myself.......  Rick

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Agree with the general perception.

A Youth Culture still in the hands of the same enthusiasts that might've aged somewhat but still feel the same.

I'm in a 50s and 60s cabaret band and the people that followed the RnR and stuff still on their scene too, at a lot older than even the oldest soulies.

Same with Punk and all the other movements where the people in it are still livin'...

Social source share

41 minutes ago, Russell Gilbert said:

As has already been said, there aren't really any "youth cultures" anymore, so why does it matter?

Northern Soul has transcended "youth", which is about the finest and most solid testimonial anyone could give it.

Well said.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

There was a record a few years ago in the charts, some young American girl and one of the lines in the song was something like "punks with flowers in their hair"!!!!!!  Always made me raise my eyes to the heavens when I heard that line!

Clueless modern yooof!

Regards.

Drew.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

29 minutes ago, Zed1 said:

'A youth culture left in the hands of old men'.....

Sums it up for me. None of us can look at a youth scene objectively 40-50 years after the event. You can't simply go back and re-hear all those tracks again for the first time through teenage years. I've learned and forgotten so much since then, Tracks I loved then - I hate now and vice-versa. People and places that shaped my memories have all gone or changed. NOTHING can ever replicate that feeling of your first nighter or hearing your fave track for the first time.

Far too many of these old men forget what it was like as the new kid on the block and try and rewrite the history of scene to suite their own agenda and will happily tell anyone who will listen that 'their' version of events is in fact ''how it was' and they were all born rare soul fans.

Gaz. I knew we get get words of wisdom from you. You have been saying as much for years mate regarding the  northern soul scene.  Oops the rare soul scene sorry soul police. 😂 

Trust you n the lovely Debs are well mate 

Ste

Social source share

3 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Gaz. I knew we get get words of wisdom from you. You have been saying as much for years mate regarding the  northern soul scene.  Oops the rare soul scene sorry soul police. 😂 

Trust you n the lovely Debs are well mate 

Ste

I doubt very much anyone would trust this old man with the scene anyway Ste....... I'd probably forget where I'd put it!!.

Trust you and your's are good Bud?.

Edited by Zed1
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

39 minutes ago, Zed1 said:

I doubt very much anyone would trust this old man with the scene anyway Ste....... I'd probably forget where I'd put it!!.

Trust you and your's a good Bud?.

Gaz  We've got to be trusted mate. We are the future of this scene. 😎. Forgot where you put what ? 

Me n Lou are good thank you very much.

Ste

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, chas said:

At a soul charity event for alzheimers some time back, a chap with a megaphone at the pre event rally... 'what do we want?..' we don't know!.. 'when do we want it?..' want what? '. 

Hope you and the lurvly eileen are good m8 ? Xx baz n shelly

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

What a load of old bollecks , last night l played60's \ 70's tunes , today it's a bit of soulful garage \ house , old men YES, youth culture people never grow up . 🕺:thumbup:🎶

Social source share

18 minutes ago, chalky said:

when was it last a youth culture? Back in the 80s probably.  Certainly isn't enough youth today to sustain an all-nighter scene which is a great shame.

Suppose if what you say is true then the quote must be correct...a culture of our youth which we the oldies that are left, enjoy.

Social source share

53 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

The youths of today haven't got a clue. They're taking the wrong drugs - ecstasy and charlie wont sustain an all nighter scene, they're rubbish. They need to get some proper gear like base amphetamine down em. 

:wicked:

Monkey dust is the answer! 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

" The Follies of youth ,are in Retrospect ,Glorious , Compared to the Follies of Old Age " , G.K. Chesterton {poet and playwright} or was it Michael Palin or Eric Olthwaite,¨{ A Ripping Yorkshire Man}??

Yes we are a dying breed ,With our hip DJ,s Sam, Kev, Butch ,Ginger ,Butch ,JM, Pat, Chalky and Russ, all elligible for Bus Passes  !!

LOL Johnny.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

56 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

The youths of today haven't got a clue. They're taking the wrong drugs - ecstasy and charlie wont sustain an all nighter scene, they're rubbish. They need to get some proper gear like base amphetamine down em. 

:wicked:

Pete. :hatsoff2:Trust your well sir.  :hatsoff2:

I will have there's if they don't want it. 

Steve 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, John Hart said:

" The Follies of youth ,are in Retrospect ,Glorious , Compared to the Follies of Old Age " , G.K. Chesterton {poet and playwright} or was it Michael Palin or Eric Olthwaite,¨{ A Ripping Yorkshire Man}??

Yes we are a dying breed ,With our hip DJ,s Sam, Kev, Butch ,Ginger ,Butch ,JM, Pat, Chalky and Russ, all elligible for Bus Passes  !!

LOL Johnny.

😮

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, MBarrett said:

I'd love to see an age-category dance off. Swing/R&R v N Soul. Who would win? LOL!

An old bloke Dancing indoors wearing a Hat & Braces along with and old dear in a Circle Skirt...... now where have I seen that before?. 🤔

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest MBarrett
40 minutes ago, Zed1 said:

An old bloke Dancing indoors wearing a Hat & Braces along with and old dear in a Circle Skirt...... now where have I seen that before?. 🤔

Something very joyous about these two. IMHO. :)

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts
45 minutes ago, MBarrett said:

I'd love to see an age-category dance off. Swing/R&R v N Soul. Who would win? LOL!

They look like they’re having fun - good luck to em

Social source share

3 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Pete. :hatsoff2:Trust your well sir.  :hatsoff2:

I will have there's if they don't want it. 

Steve 

Evening Steve :hatsoff2:

Yes, I'm ok mate thanks. I hope all is good with you and Lou. I enjoyed the photo thread - I'm pretty sure that I remember seeing you about back in the day. The old picture of you with a tash, looks very familiar.

Pete

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!