Record Shops In Chicago

Guest WR67

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Heading over to the Windy City early next year and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for record shops ?

Cheers

Billy.

Hi Billy, Check out Steve at 'The Record Dugout' on West 63rd Street, a nice guy and always has time for you, not been over myself for a few years now but always found one of two nice records there, also 'Beverley Records' they used to have two stores in Chicago possibly only one store there now, one or two other stores worth a punt, if Phil Dick reads this he's your man for all the decent stores to check out, remember though like Detroit the Windy City has been well hit over the years but there's always the chance, happy hunting and good luck.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Hi Billy, Check out Steve at 'The Record Dugout' on West 63rd Street, a nice guy and always has time for you, not been over myself for a few years now but always found one of two nice records there, also 'Beverley Records' they used to have two stores in Chicago possibly only one store there now, one or two other stores worth a punt, if Phil Dick reads this he's your man for all the decent stores to check out, remember though like Detroit the Windy City has been well hit over the years but there's always the chance, happy hunting and good luck.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Many thanks for the info Mark.... :D

Social source share

Beverly records on Western Av...always worth a stop although well picked over, just down the street there is "Peabody" records which is good for LPs and has some tasty 45s in if you catch them right. Check out 2nd hand tunes on N.Clark st...find this store and there are a couple of stores near by too......as mentioned check out Steve in his dugout on W63rd, great guy, loads of stuff to look thru...

Dont forget that all of these guys have the price guides and check out ebay too....some even sell on ebay...but all you have to do is catch them with the right record on the right day and ....bingo! In saying that they all appreciate you need a deal and will be more than fair with you.....

Enjoy the Windy city...my favourite city in the whole world, a magnificent place full of great bars, wonderful food and great soul music!

Chris

Social source share

I was going to ask the same question! I'm going up there on december.

BTW, does anybody know if this records will be open around X-Mas? I'm staying from 23rd till the 27th...

Cheers

Dante

Social source share

I was going to ask the same question! I'm going up there on december.

BTW, does anybody know if this records will be open around X-Mas? I'm staying from 23rd till the 27th...

Cheers

Dante

Half the stores you guys all mentioned are closed now! Record Dugout is one of the only places left to get 45s. Hyde Park Records is a new store in hyde park on 53rd street that has 45s you should check out. There is only one beverly records now (the old one closed a long long time ago), but it's extremely picked over, probably not worth your time. All the second hand tunes closed, and a store on Clark that had 45s (hifi records) just closed a week ago! It's slim pickings in Chicago now. Dusty Groove isn't a great place for 45s but has good prices on reissues.

- bob in Chicago

Social source share

Damn!!

Thanks for the info Bob. So, basically you're saying that I won't find anything interesting???

Keep in mind that I'm not a COLLECTOR, and I'm only searchin' for the common stuff...

Anyway, do you know when are they gonna re-open??

thanks again

Dante

Social source share

Damn!!

Thanks for the info Bob. So, basically you're saying that I won't find anything interesting???

Keep in mind that I'm not a COLLECTOR, and I'm only searchin' for the common stuff...

Anyway, do you know when are they gonna re-open??

thanks again

Dante

Are you talking about when 2nd hand tunes will reopen? They are permanantly closed because of a long battle with the city over some sort of license the city wanted to make them buy. They were the only store that refused in the city to get it (it also required them to get more ID from sellers, which would be bad for them because they bought so many STOLEN items!). In Hyde Park, though, Hyde Park records is in their place and has a much larger 45 selection -- they won't have big ticket items on the floor (they put them on ebay) but there is a good selection of more common 45s.

Social source share

I`m in Chicago twice a year and I`m saying you wont find anything big in the stores but you will certainly find something interesting....loads of nice Lps in those stores, mostly untouched by dealers hands....Certainly check out Steve in the dugout, depends what he found that day....but mostly go to Leonas for Pizza, best Pizza in the world by a mile!

Chris

ps, Dante, I thought you were from Chicago? Or is that a differet guy....?

Social source share

Is ANYONE still finding ANYTHING in shops/stores nowadays? I know that the majority of stores I've used over the past 20 years have either disappeared or have gone the route of CDs and Ebay. In fact one store I frequent runs a mail order business where he simply answers the phone, checks his database for the required track, checks his inventory for the relevant CD and ships it out. Hey Presto...customers don't even come in the store anymore! I know a number of my old haunts where the store owner/vinyl monkey simply sits next to the computer with a "guide" loading stuff onto Ebay whilst their shelves are stocked with

a. Crap

b. Collectables and Ripete

c. Poor condition 45s

Be interesting to hear some of the "bigger" dealers thoughts on this. I know that most guys who pass through my neck of the woods are looking for "people" not stores or warehouses any more.

Regards ,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Dave, 15 years ago when i used to visit the US it was all shops but now we may only do 2 shops on a 2 week trip, its all people for us, friends of friends who used to be in a group that may have some records etc.....I do like the odd shop as I love finding Lps...which is still easier than finding 45s, as you know.

I`m trying to think of the last big record i found in a store.....maybe 3x Paul Thompson ($2) back in 2003...Lee David ($3) in 2004.....sure there must have been others since but i cant remember them...

Chris.

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Like Chris I rarely go to shop in the US, unless I find an old black record store. Found a few in the last couple of years, found one in the deep south, still had 10 copies of Linda Jones-Can't live my life, 20 copies of Montclairs-Hung up on your love, 25 count boxes of some modern soul titles, that was a good day. Found another again more down south, were I got multiple copies of things. But they are getting harder and harder to find. Again like Chris lot of stuff comes from contacts. Rarely go to collectors shops, or that many dealers, as most tell me they can get more on ebay, or tell me how much the record is in JM book.

But for those people looking to buy for themselves, I would say that some of the collectors shop are worth a visit. Peoples, Bob May's and Record Graveyard in Detroit. Rivers in Memphis. Beverlys in Chicago, but you will have to go through alot of records to find afew. Lastly the collectors store in Toledo, can't remember the name, but they just got a large collection in. None of these sell records for a $1, but you will find some nice stuff at a fair price.

Social source share

Are you talking about when 2nd hand tunes will reopen? They are permanantly closed because of a long battle with the city over some sort of license the city wanted to make them buy. They were the only store that refused in the city to get it (it also required them to get more ID from sellers, which would be bad for them because they bought so many STOLEN items!). In Hyde Park, though, Hyde Park records is in their place and has a much larger 45 selection -- they won't have big ticket items on the floor (they put them on ebay) but there is a good selection of more common 45s.

What is a good old fashioned British Northern Soul Robber/ Intruder / Burgular :thumbsup::thumbsup::( going to do these days? Define a common 45 ?

Social source share

Like Chris I rarely go to shop in the US, unless I find an old black record store. Found a few in the last couple of years, found one in the deep south, still had 10 copies of Linda Jones-Can't live my life, 20 copies of Montclairs-Hung up on your love, 25 count boxes of some modern soul titles, that was a good day. Found another again more down south, were I got multiple copies of things. But they are getting harder and harder to find. Again like Chris lot of stuff comes from contacts. Rarely go to collectors shops, or that many dealers, as most tell me they can get more on ebay, or tell me how much the record is in JM book.

But for those people looking to buy for themselves, I would say that some of the collectors shop are worth a visit. Peoples, Bob May's and Record Graveyard in Detroit. Rivers in Memphis. Beverlys in Chicago, but you will have to go through alot of records to find afew. Lastly the collectors store in Toledo, can't remember the name, but they just got a large collection in. None of these sell records for a $1, but you will find some nice stuff at a fair price.

well someone found the Royal Esquires this year did they not? and quite a few i believe! enjoy your trip dude......dont be put off by the experts (pun).....and if you get any rare ones..fair play!

Social source share

well someone found the Royal Esquires this year did they not? and quite a few i believe! enjoy your trip dude......dont be put off by the experts (pun).....and if you get any rare ones..fair play!

Firstly I would never call myself an expert, there is always someone who knows more than you do. But I do, do it for a living and don't make any bones about it. Always tell the people that I'm buying off the same in the US. "I'm here to buy for re-sale", honesty always works best. If I buy from artists, always give them a fair price for the records, as they deserve to get something for their work. As I said I did find some good stuff in shops at low prices, but that wasn't in collectors shop, but old black record stores. Finally, as I said you can find good records in collectors shops, but in most cases you will have to pay a fair market price for them. I also listed some shops worth a look. You know lots of good shops Mossy, why don't you list a few for everyone to go and have a look at.

People on this thread have said you won't find anything in shop or there aren't any shops left, I'm saying the opposite, but I am saying it is tough, but always fun.

Dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!